KS10: random volume (and program?) changes

I wore my KS10 aids to church yesterday evening and again this morning and experienced some sudden decreases and increases in the volume level. Also, when the volume level dropped, the lower frequencies seemed to get disproportionately quieter, and I wondered whether it was changing to one of the other settings within the “Automatic” collection of programs.

When I selected the Music program the volume remained constant, but why should I have had to do that?

If your aids were in Automatic mode, they would change depending on the sound level where you were. A church service varies widely in sound level. I would imagine you would be better served in that situation to manually put them in either Music or have your fitter program a manual mode for that environment.

1 Like

I should have made it clear that the changes in volume (and sound quality) were not at different parts of the services: they were often in the middle of a line of a hymn.

My KS 10s do the same thing but not more than once or twice a day. I leave them in Automatic and just assume nothing is perfect.

1 Like

Could be the compression feature kicking in. Still, I think either the Music mode or a custom program setup by your fitter are you best bets.

Look at your easy line app. At least on iPhone and updated to the latest version 3.0.3 . Tap on the 3 lines in bottom right hand corner and you’ll see it changing in automatic mode. Sometimes it says loud noise or wind etc. It’s interesting to see how much the sound changes as different programs change in different situations. They really improved this app. It was useless before this update.

I’m very tempted to default to my music program. That way I can rely on what I will hear. Automatic (autosense) is very crude and temperamental.

AutoSense is looking for changes in sound. It will change to the program it thinks your environment is.
AutoSense can change fast or slow. AutoSense can be more or less sensitive to sound change.
AutoSense is very adjustable.

Each program AutoSense uses and switches to and from is very adjustable. Knowing where you are and what program you are in is very helpful to your fitter. Each of these programs can be adjusted many ways.

If you think your Phonak aids are acting up please take notes to your environment and sounds you are hearing. Show this information to your fitter. He/she should be able to help you fix the issues up. It’s a tuning thing.

I never thought of trying the Music setting because I don’t listen to music but I tried it. After using the Music setting for a few days I have decided it is interesting. There are no sudden drops in sound level but when riding my recumbent trike everything is too loud. I reduce the volume but the traffic noise is still too loud. Going back to the Automatic program everything sounds fine.
It is nice to know about the Music mode but I will stick with Automatic most of the time.

I have not experienced the volume (and sound quality) changes again, but during a recent service I used the EasyLine Remote app to see what was going on, and saw at various times merely “Automatic,” “Music (Automatic),” and “Reverberant (Automatic).” Why “Reverberant” at any point I have no idea: we are in a rented space with an acoustic-paneled low ceiling.

Sounds like the aids are doing what they are designed to do and set up well if you are not noticing the program changes.

1 Like

something you could try: when in the automatic program, click the three lines on the bottom right (in the android version, at least) and then click “save as” and name it to something like “My Default”. Next time you’re in a similar situation, manually select that new program you created. This way, the settings will remain how you apparently like them, but you’ll be in a manual program and the autosense feature won’t kick in and change your program and distract you.

1 Like