KS10 - Google Assistant Lost Her Voice

I use the “Double Tap Right Aid” mode often to invoke Google Assistant on my Google Pixel 7 Pro phone. However, recently I can barely hear GA’s response through my HA’s, and then, only if I am in a very quiet place. Everything else comes through at normal volume: Telephone calls. Google Maps route guidance. Streaming podcasts from my phone. Listening to music from my phone. It is only the GA responses that are extremely quiet. I can’t say for sure but it is possible that this started when my phone updated from Android 13 to Android 14. I’m wondering if anybody else has experienced this?

Also, my HA’s are at software level 1.1.13.0. Does anybody know what the current software version is? Wondering if I need to have the tech at Costco do an update?

Thanks

I have Phonak Audéo P90Rs, which I believe are the same model as yours. They are also at hardware version 1.1.13.0, and that was up to date when I checked with Target a few weeks ago.

1 Like

I suspect the problem is likely the phone. I just moved from a Pixel 7 to a 8.

Check your media volume level.

There is some buggy stuff going on with Bluetooth and I see bugs reported. Next week the monthly update should be released. Consider holding off until then.

Perhaps some Bluetooth troubleshooting, forget, pair again.

Maybe reset data for the Google assistant. This could be complicated. You might have to search up how to do it. I think going into app info for Google, then storage and cache is where you can reset. I would clear cache, work with it for a bit to see if successful. If not, clear cache and data.

Thanks. Good to know.

Good suggestions. It’s not the phone, as I’ve had the 7 Pro for some time now and haven’t had this problem until recently. Media volume level is fine, and other media (music, podcasts, etc) play at normal volume. And I did “forget” and re-pair, to no avail. Also have rebooted the phone, hearing aids, etc.

Yes, I’m hoping that it is something that will get fixed in the next monthly Android update, but I still have bad memories about how long it took for the fix when (a year or so ago) an Android release made the right hearing aid battery go dead before the end of the day. It was several months before an Android update resolved that issue. What a pain!

Well this is strange. I was playing around with the phone and HA’s, testing Google Assistant, and double checked media volume and it was at full. While the volume sliders were still displayed on the phone I double tapped my right ear and asked Google Assistant for the weather. As soon as GA started to speak, the media volume slider dropped to about a quarter volume. I slid it back up while GA was speaking and the GA volume is just fine now. Don’t know if it will last, but at least I now have an idea of how to “fix” it if it happens again, even if I can’t explain why the problem occurred.

2 Likes

I could have been more precise, I agree it’s not the phone, I think it’s Android 14. I’m guessing you recently upgraded the Android OS on your phone. You can view the bug reports at Google site to see if any seem to apply. It’s pretty easy to filter to hearing aids, bluetooth, etc.

I am seeing similar behavior for media volume.

Pixel 8 and Starkey Evolv.

When the call volume is low, while answering a call, I switch from hearing aids to speaker, then back to hearing aids. That fixes the problem. My wife knows to give me a few seconds after I answer before speaking.

Interesting. Certainly seems like a bug introduced with Android 14. Hope it gets fixed in an early monthly update, but at least there seems to be a couple of workarounds. Thanks for your replies.