KS10 Battery Life With Google Pixel Phone

I’ve had my KS10’s for several months now and have been happy overall. Battery life has been excellent. I usually put them in at around 7:00 AM, stream a podcast for an hour while I walk, and then use them for hands-free telephone calls off and on throughout the day. I finally take them out and put them on the charger at about 11:00 PM. There has usually been around 15% battery left, which is just fine.

However, a couple of months ago the battery in the right aid started dying at anywhere between 7:00 PM and 10:00 PM. I took them back to Costco and they sent the right aid to the factory where it was replaced, including a new battery. But the problem still exists. The right aid will no longer make it through the day, even with the new battery. For example, I started the day at 7:00 AM today, didn’t stream any podcasts, and it is now 6:30 PM. The left aid is at 52% and the right aid is down to 22%.

I made another appointment at Costco and met with the tech today. He says that there are a growing number of similar complaints from people who have Google Pixel phones. The prevailing theory is that Google made a software or firmware change to the PIxel phones that is causing this problem. He says that one aid (usually the right aid) is actually the “controlling” aid for all Bluetooth communication with the aids and that whatever change was made apparently is causing Bluetooth to drain the aid’s battery at a much faster rate. And apparently this is only with Google’s Pixel Android phones and not other Android phones (e.g., Samsung). This theory makes some sense to me but I’m not sure how one could prove it.

So, I’m wondering if anybody on this forum is using the KS10’s with a Bluetooth link to a Google Pixel phone, and if so, are you noticing that the right aid is draining the battery faster lately? My Pixel 4XL is running Android 12 with the April 5 security update. Kernel versions 4.14.257. Build number SP2A.220405.003

Thanks - Gary

I have a Pixel 6 Pro and noticed the same battery issues after the March update. I also have a Samsung Galaxy Fold 3 and my KS10 battery goes back to normal and last all day again when I switch to the fold and leave the Pixel powered off. I don’t know anymore than that but wanted to let you know you are not alone with this problem.

Do a search for Phonak P90 aids + Android 12 + Pixel. You will find many threads about this problem. And some google emails stating they are making changes shortly to correct it.
Appears to be specific to the Pixel phones after the recent Android 12 update AND the Phonak P90 (KS10) aids.

3 Likes

With my Pixel 6 (non-Pro) and the KS10.0 aids, the problem started before March: I think it was as soon as I got the update from Android 11 to Android 12.

Thanks to all who have replied. Gives me some comfort to know that the tech wasn’t stringing me along. I don’t plan on switching phones anytime soon (and it would be to another Pixel anyway), so I’ll just ride it out and hope that a fix does come from Google in the not too distant future.

Thanks again for the quick responses!

Gary

The right aid is primary and processes data to the left aid. All things being equal, the right aid battery will die first. That can’t be helped.

As others have mentioned in this thread, there were two or three other thread on the same subject starting a few weeks ago. It just seems to affect those of us with pixel phones and using android 12. I also reported my problem with Google tech support.
When things were working correctly, by the end of the day the right HA charge would be about four points lower than the left. Now, when the right one dies, the left one still has over 25% remaining.

My phone just took a really big update. Fingers crossed that it includes a fix for this problem.

Sadly the recent update did not seem to resolve this issue.

It has been 4 months I have dealt with this issue with my Pixel 6 and KS-10’s. Started with the January update. Reported issue to Google and then to the Google Disability group. I’m not optimistic that Google will fix the issue at this point so I will try another phone to get normal functionality from my hearing aids. If this issue were fixed I’d happily keep the Pixel 6.

Wow my issue exactly. KS10 aids / google pixel 6 pro / android 12, right aid discharges to 0 after 13-14 hours, left aid 35% charge remaining.
Costco Canada & Phonak don’t seem aware of the issue gave me a new set of aids two weeks ago and replacing them again this coming Monday July 18 2022. Google disability support is working on it but no suggestions so far.
When connected to the Google 6 I also experience changes in aid volume when I open or close apps. Anyone else notice this?

Yeah, still having the same battery drain issue. My Pixel 4XL has received a couple of OS updates since the problem started but none have solved it yet. I’m not experiencing volume change when opening/closing apps though.

You might try an android 13 beta.
https://www.droid-life.com/2022/07/13/android-13-beta-4-pixel-download/
You might get an opportunity to give feedback that way too.

I will be looking to upgrade my pixel one to six when the seven comes out. And maybe my ks9’s to ks10’s.
Good luck

Not a bad idea, but I think we’re only a few weeks away from the full release of 13 so I’ll probably hold off.

I have a Pixel 6 PRO running the Android 13 Beta 4.
It didn’t change at all. Left aid 55%, right 17%. 12 hours on.

Well that’s discouraging news.

Same problem with a new set of KS10 hearing aids purchased earlier this week. According to the rep at Costco, this does not happen with Samsung phones or iphones. The chat line at Google was unable to find any reference to this issue, though this forum may help.

Others have reported problem solved with the Android 13 Beta4 install on their phones.

1 Like

The Android 4.1 Beta fixed the problem. They now even charge faster and last longer with little or no difference in left or right charge. I now have about 25% charge left on both sides after 16 hours use. That’s better than before the Beta 13.41 update. I haven’t actually measured the time but it is obvious that they charge somewhat faster than before also. Very pleased with the Beta update Zero prioblems of any kind.

1 Like

Well, that’s certainly encouraging news! It is my understanding that Android 13 will ship in either August or September… Guess I need to decide whether to hold on for a bit longer or bite the bullet and install the beta…

For those of you on the beta: If you have the beta installed does it get automatically replaced when Google pushes the official release version? Or do you have to do something to go from beta to official release?

1 Like