KS-9 and Samsung Smart Watch 5

I wear Costco KS-9 hearing aids which work fine and am looking into getting a Samsung Smart Watch 5 and have some questions. Besides the medical apps of the Watch, I need to know if the Samsung Watch 5 truly pairs via BT with my KS-9? My KS-9 pairs fine with my Samsung S22 cell phone and I can send or receive calls to my KS-9s via streaming so why am I looking into the smart watch? Beside other functions of the smart watch when a call comes in and my cellphone is buried deep into a coat pocket it would be nice to answer the call from my watch on my wrist. The sales tech person at Best Buy says “no problem” - sure. Have other folks attached a Samsung Smart Watch to a Samsung S22 cell phone with Costco KS-9s? Would appreciate some real advice - not just sales advice. Oh, answering a call phone call with the buttons on my KS-9s does not always work smoothly. Thanks.

Dont think it would be a problem.
Your watch is paired to the phone. From the watch you can answer calls via the buttons/screen right? You are not using the watch as the speaker/mic for the phone are you?

the HAs would be connected to the phone, as headsets. Not to the watch then to the phone.

I use my P90s all the time with my Garmin Fenix watch while they are also paired to my phone. I use the watch to stream music during jogs (without the phone). But I dont try to answer calls via the watch.

I thought you could answer the phone using the top button on KS9s…

Yes, that is true that I can push one of the buttons on the hearing aid to answer a call, but it does not always work. Cleaning around the HA buttons helps but not always.

I’m not convinced there is anything electronic related that will “always work.” If it is dirt related, making a point to wash your hands frequently might help. Also being very mindful of how one pushes the button.
Smart watch may or may not be a better solution “for you.” Likely only way to find out is to try it out. Looks like their might be a $45 return fee for BestBuy if it’s a SmartWatch that can get cell service. Even if SmartWatch is better, I suspect it will still have glitches.

I have KS-9s, and use an Android phone and a Garmin watch (Vivoactive). I can use my watch to answer phone calls and hang up, etc. Both the watch and my hearing aids are connected to the phone via Bluetooth. So, I don’t think you’ll have any problems with a Samsung/Samsung solution.

Thank you for your replies which answered most of my questions, but still have another one. Manually answering calls on my Samsung S22 phone the sound is streamed to my KS-9 aids with great clear sound since the KS-9 and phone are paired together. So, since the answer is that both the smart watch and my KS-9s can be paired to my Samsung S22 phone at the same time would allow me to answer/disconnect phone calls from the watch and still “talk” thru the phone. Hope I have all that correct. Thanks again for all the replies.

ThomF - Thanks for your reply and I have one question for you since your setup is the same as what I will have if I buy a smart watch. If your cellphone is in a coat pocket when you answer an incoming call with the smart watch are all your replies during the conversation sent back via the mics in the KS-9 hearing aids - not the mic in the cellphone which is in your pocket. I think this is how it works but wanted to be sure. Thanks.

Yes; it uses the mics on the KS-9, even if you click your watch to answer the call.

ThomF - I’ve started using my new Samsung Watch5. The watch paired fine via BT to my Samsung S22 phone. When my wife called me in another room to my cellphone (which was in my back pocket) via my home cordless phone the call woke up the watch fine and when I finally figured out how to swipe the icon on the watch screen to answer the call on the cellphone the call was answered fine. My wife’s speech was fine; she could hear me fine except for some very small breakups. This may have been due to both of us being in two rooms close to each other.
Also, thanks for clarifying that with this call my speech was sent thru the mics in the KS-9 aids not the mics in my cellphone; which was in my back pocket. I always assumed that when making cellphone calls the phone mics were used. Guess that this was not true. Thanks again.

1 Like

I just obtained a pair of Philips 9040s from Costco. As it turns out, they use the phone’s microphones, rather than the hearing aid mics. I made a mistake yesterday and accepted a phone call on my watch. My phone at the time was downstairs, so the caller only heard background noise until I could get to the phone. The KS-9s and other Phonak hearing aids might be unique in being able to use the HA mics for phone calls.

1 Like