KS 10 Charging issue blamed on user error

The Phonak Charger must be compatible with the Phonak Audeo Paradise to work with the KS10. for older Phonak chargers I think they are incompatible.

1 Like

Marvel travel charger works with my KS10s. Voltage at the pins is the same. Can’t really tell if the fit of the aid in the cavity is the same, might be a bit tighter with the KS10. I only use the old chargers occasionally.

1 Like

Little update so this morning after I woke it was still stuck on amber. I jiggled the hearing aid in the seat thinking maybe the connector wasn’t in place popped out for about 30 minutes while waited for it to maybe charge and have come home to a completely absalutely dead hearing aid. Won’t charge at all refuses to turn or or even reset while in charger same while holding button down swapped ports, swapped where the plug was charging from nada dead as a dodo made a Prompt call to Costcos albeit it a very difficult
one when I’m so used to using blue Bluetooth to make calls. I couldn’t hear the person well at all but she said to bring it in ASAP and they would send it for repair due to the charging issue and that it definately should not be draining while charging which is what was happening last night despite trying for almost 15 hours.

ok ok :slight_smile: , regarding that tighter. I have a unitron blu hearing aid, it uses the same charger as the phonak audeo paradise.
Now after a year or so, I noticed that the tighter has eased, because before I had to pull the hearing aids a little harder, now it has become milder.

1 Like

Just wanted to update I took my remaining KS10 hearing aid to Costcos today they tried as well to see if it would charge or turn on with a spare charger they had and said it definately would not charge or boot up for them either. Explained that I had been there just a week ago about the charging issue and that it was dismissed as user error at the time I actually saw my normal fitter and she did not look amused at the one who dismissed me last week I feel bad for the young lady as she avoided interacting with me i hope she wasn’t in trouble for making a mistake as it can happen My fitter Said it’s a known issue and that it should’ve immediately been sent in for repair when I first visited and not ignored.

I asked if there was any chance of a loaner pair since I hadn’t planned on having no hearing aids at all less than a week apart and while I can use live transcribe it wasn’t really helping as it’s hit and miss on picking speech up added my husband is having to shout to be understood and we have neighbors below who might complain to the rental office if this goes on for weeks like predicted vs a few days like I had hoped.
She knows I’ve been a Costcos hearing aid user for almost 5 years and knows my history previous to that of being a almost lifelong hearing aid wearer I said I’d never normally ask but usually I have at least one working aid so it’s a bit of a difficult situation to go from one to no aids and not through choice either.

She kindly programmed some loaner Jabra Pro battery powered RICs with some domes as a temporary measure just to allow me to at least hear something vs nothing at all. I’m thankful for that as they said the wait due to the newly added battery issue would mean 3-4 weeks without much sound.

While the Jabra’s are lovely I was warned they would have feedback due to my HF losses and no mould on the receivers like I’d normally have I said I’ll work with it as it’s better than nothing at all. They do sound very sharp compared to the KS10s and I’m resorting to the speech clarity the one thing that spooked me was how loud my cats meowing was next to me I’m not sure if it’s the programing for speech clarity or the aid themselves I must’ve jumped sky high going Jebus had to ask my husband is he normally that bloody loud :joy: I got told he can be so I’m wondering if thats me having to adjust to the aids or just that my KS10s dampened his meows and made them seem quieter. Added the fitting the receivers with domes in my ear is taking some getting used to vs my moulded receivers and they are a little bit sore but I put that down to a different style than I normally wear.

2 Likes

My KS10s are now fully showing charging issues and go back for servicing today. Is there any indication of how long this takes (or is this ‘how long is a piece of string’? territory…,)?

Whilst they’re away, my local Costco have a pair of demo aids for me to use, which is really good of them. A weekend with 2017 era (preBluetooth) NHS HAs proved a little challenging.

Curious as to what I’ll get to try out…

1 Like

Are you sending the charger too? I have heard their current solution is to send a matched set of aids and charger.

Audio wasn’t today, unfortunately. I was intending on giving them the whole shooting match - HAs and charger - as I’d heard similar.

Be interesting to know what the return rate is like on Phonak’s made for the NHS HAs is like. Freedom of Information request in the making there…hmmm…

It’s unlikely that they’d have as much comparison data for the NHS yet - the widespread step to rechargeable hasn’t really happened to the same extent as the private sector.

That sounds very questionable. I have no doubt that some sales person at Costco might have said something like that but it’s very unlikely to be valid info. It would be best not to share it unless and until it’s documented by a knowledgeable source.

It was mentioned here in the forum.

I can’t answer about the NHS Phonak rate k have no clue,

My Costcos fitter returned the aids, charger and all cables for repair. My left hearing aid is hittjng the 3 week mark waiting for repair and my right aid and charger is heading towards the 2 weeks mark. So they were right so far on how long the wait is for Indiana at least…

I’ll be honest I haven’t fallen in love with the loaner Jabra’s despite daily wear usually I adapt quite well with new hearing aids within days but these sound off to me and high pitched in general I’m not disparaging them at all as I truly understand my fitter did her best to get me something usable with what was available I definitely know that domes are just not for me I was always curious as to whether I’d notice the difference and boy do I. The experience so far shows I definitely need moulds for that closed seal to feed sounds properly otherwise it’s almost tinny/high sounding and almost.allows those low sounds to escape. Upside to them is I’ve so far gone 10 days on a size 13 battery so far. I would love to compare the Jabra’s with a mould though to see if that makes a difference.

I miss Bluetooth streaming something fierce at the moment and speech which I put down to the domes is terribly hit and miss I’m constantly mishearing my husband or asking him to repeat what he said FAR more than I ever do with the KS10s.

At least I know my Costcos does indeed do loaner hearing aids when they can, it never hurts to ask as I heard mixed results some do some don’t.

There are different domes available perhaps a more closed dome would help. Costco would need to adjust the programming for the new domes though. They select that within their software.

Thank you for the reply! My fitter used power domes or as I called it double domes for my hearing losses I have very small canals so even these are tiny and only just fit she explained they are the smallest ones they do it’s a struggle to even get them to sit in the ear. My fitter resorted to power domes to try and get as much sound to feed as she could. It’s also different as I’ve worn moulds for 35+ it’s why I say I prefer them over domes it sounds better for me personally.

These are temporary loaner hearing aids so I’m not really wanting to ask for constant tweaks I was grateful to even be given anything while repairs are being done my fitter is not the first to say I would struggle with domes and it’s one of the reasons I couldn’t trial in the store during a walk around and I appreciate her honesty she’s been my go to for 5 years and I trust her opinion she’s never been wrong so far vs some of the other fitters in store. If I’d trialed in store with just domes like I’ve been loaned I would’ve come away feeling dejected as it just doesn’t sound good for me at all and would’ve put me off buying from Costcos completely as well.

Previous audiologists have said the same thing when I asked if domes would work or suit and frankly for me in my experience they have been right between the lacking of clearer sound and the constant feedback even with the program to try prevent it realise I just love moulds and will stick with them unless there’s some new technology that makes domes work and sound exactly like my moulds do!

It never hurts to try something else though and I’m glad it answered some questions I had about what it’s like to use domes vs moulds.

3 Likes

I had custom silicone molds made by ReSound so that I could wear my Omnia 962s (size 13 battery) with M&RIE receivers. The molds are rather large, but they work very well to control feedback and to enhance bass by not letting it escape my ears when streaming. IIRC, a Costco HCP told me that their molds are also made by the respective HA OEM. I had my molds made with Select-A-Vent and am currently using a no-hole vent plug. I don’t mind the occlusion, and I really enjoy being able to block low-frequency noise as well as possible - less of a concern with your greater low-frequency loss.

Your loss seems a bit outside the fitting range of the M&RIE receivers at 2 kHz. I’m very happy with the Omnias equipped with the M&RIE receivers. I’m entering day 9 running on my initial set of 13 batteries and hope to make it to 2 weeks!

2 Likes

Slight delay in getting to Costco but come Monday I’ll be loaned Jabra Enhance Pro 10’s while the KS 10s are repaired. Liking what I’m reading and curious how they’ll stack up against my KS10s.

Seeing as my employer has just bought me a Roger On IN, I’m very firmly a Phonak kid but nice to try something different.

Well, if your Costco fitter thinks power domes or double domes would work to control feedback for you and they have loaner M&RIE receivers, I’d suggest trying those with your loaner Jabra Enhance Pro 10s. I have the ReSound Omnia 962s with size 13 disposable batteries (day 11 on my 1st set, and I’m still going strong!). I really like the sound with M&RIE receivers. Perhaps how much you’ll like the Jabras depends on whether you’re an iPhone (and Apple Watch) user. ReSound does not lie when they say hands-free phone calls on the iPhone are crystal-clear (I found the sound of phone calls better than with the Lumity 90-R, which I trialed, but then I only took a few Wi-Fi network phone calls with the Lumity, so perhaps not a fair trial). Whether calling with my Wi-Fi network or with Verizon cellular (the provider for the MVNO Spectrum Mobile), the calls sound great, and my callers agree.

Lumity users are saying, “Oh, the battery life isn’t an issue,” or “Oh, I never need to use my app,” but I found both of those items annoying with the Lumity. I didn’t like always reverting to the automatic program, either. Perhaps I lead a much more active, yardwork-, housework-oriented life than most Phonak users! I really enjoy having ~the full ReSound Smart 3D app on my Apple Watch Ultra. The app is extremely responsive on the watch and saves pulling out my phone. Too much noise, I can quickly turn the volume on my mics down or shut off my HA’s entirely. Switch to the Music program? Just a few taps on the watch calls up the Music program, no playing with buttons behind my ear, etc. Same for adjusting relative streaming/external mic balance. So handy to have control on a watch always on my wrist versus the “where’d my phone go?” option.

With the Roger On In, the Lumitys should be great and certainly worth putting up with less than ideal battery runtime, especially when streaming a lot, and putting up with an app that Phonak ought to improve to match their excellent HA’s. Especially with your hearing loss, I might think the fairest trial (hardly worth it, though) of the Jabras would be with custom molds. That’s what I have for my M&RIE receivers.

Edit_Update: If you want to trial a sound equivalent to mine with the Omnias, you should ask your fitter to set you up with an “Experienced User Nonlinear” user profile and use the NAL-NL2 fitting algorithm. You seem to have a cookie bite loss, whereas I have a more usual, age-related high-frequency ski slope loss. So perhaps the NAl-NL2 fitting algorithm wouldn’t do as much for you as it does for my high-frequency hearing problems.

1 Like

Assuming the audi gave me a fresh set, the right battery lasted 11 days, the left 11 1/2 days. I had about 15 minutes after the chime before the right zinc-air battery went completely dead (my guesstimate).

Thanks for this - I’ll ask about the receivers and domes set up tomorrow. The Jabra/Resound app looks to be well ahead of the Easy Line/MyPhonak offering.

Now fitted. I have the M&RIE and power domes and the demo set has the rechargeable case (perhaps the default for Costco).

Next test - I switch between my iPhone (calls, music etc) and iPad (MS Teams for work) which works flawlessly on KS10. I’ll be keen to see how these do.

I didn’t warm to the domes on the Jabras but my Phonak power domes seem to fit so half days.

1 Like