Kirkland Signature 4.0

Has anyone tried the subject hearing aids:

If so, some questions:

1. I am in my 90 day window using the Costco ReSound futures. I am not very happy with those (or with the Audi who reccommended them). My question - will Costco allow me to return my current aids and exchange for these?

2. The Signature 4.0 (looks like they are Siemens equivalent) use rechargeable batteries. If there are problems with the batteries holding a charge (my sister has had a problem like this with her Siemens), can a non-rechargeable battery (of course not recharging it), be used?

3. This HA has a Telecoil. I have heard that telecoil accessories (loops) are available for connecting to TVs. Anyone know about this?

Update on 4/20/12: I returned my Costo Future HAs at a different Costco than where I bought them, because I didn’t like the original Audi (too agressive and confrontational) and because I wanted the Costo Kirland Premium 4.0. Good experience! They didn’t give me any hassle with the exchange.

1.) Yep, not painful at all to return and buy different.

2.) I tried the previous generation and I liked them a lot (but I do like the Futures a lot too) and I never ran down the rechargeable, even on long days, but, I didn’t have bluetooth and they were new. You can use regular batteries.

3.) I have never done it but there is a lot of information on the board about room loops.

What exactly is going wrong with the Futures? I’m also a Costco fitter and so far the futures have been my biggest sellers. I seldom touch KS because they have reliability issues at the level of the device. Once person I fit with KS4s had a problem with the generator in his prius setting off the tcoil as well as flourescent lights. What about the futures doesn’t work? I’ve usually been able to have them give a good solution. If that doesn’t work, I’d go for the Bernafon Chronos 9 RIC. You’ve got the tcoil there with much better feedback management than the KS. I demo’d somebody today with both KS and the Chronos RIC. Much preferred the Chronos RIC. A similar test I ran in December pitted a KS3 versus a future. The future won hands down. Just my thoughts.

The Futures that I have seem to be constantly searching for the correct frequencies: While I’m watching tv the HAs emphasize the high frequency content - then de-emphasize (even with the same speaker, and in a continuous cycle over probably a 15 second time period). I am also not happy with the audi who recommended them. He said that Futures were the only HAs which had “true” bluetooth - then after I had bought them he said, “Oh, that’s just marketing”.

That’s really strange. I can tell you I’m not getting anything like that. I normally use the music program because I like the sound a little better for artificial sources (like tv) but mine work fine on any program.

What do you think Auditor?

Odd, indeed.

I am almost unaware of any sound processing at all from the Futures.

Sounds like it’s very possible that you got a bad pair. It happens, with any model aid. Did you and the audi try swapping them out for another pair of Futures to see if the same thing happened? Trying that might solve your problem. If the same thing does happen with a second pair, I have to wonder if there is an incorrect setting in your profile, which also can happen. There are so many Aleras and Futures out there that if this were a common problem, there would be numerous other users complaining about it.

Rechargeable (secondary) cells usually have a different voltage than “primary” cells. You’d have to do some research on if the voltage is “close enough”. The datasheet for the Integrated Circuit used in your particular aid may tell you.
A too-high cell voltage may shorten the life of your aid.

the answer is yes… you can use a rechargeable battery or a standard battery interchangeably in the Siemens/Rextons/Kirkland aids. btw, you can also use AA, etc… rechargeable or standard batteries interchangeably in almost any device.

If the batteries really are that easily interchangeable then you should look for a cell that gives you the most miliwatthours per cent.
E.g., let’s say there is a 1.4v (nominal voltage vs. actual) cell that is rated at 130 mAh (at some rate of discharge) and costs $0.30. This is 1.4 x 130 = 182 mwh for 30 cents = 6 mwh/cent.
Nextag will help you find prices and Rayovac lists battery spec’s.

why? size 13 or size 312 or whatever size rechargeable or standard batteries are interchangeable. any AA type, brand, etc… is interchangeable in almost any device using AA batteries. Certain AA batteries may last longer or give better results depending on the device but they will work. Anyone that is really that concerned with the price of batteries should maybe rethink if they can afford hearing aids.

It depends on how you interpret page 3 of this
http://www.sounddesigntechnologies.com/pdf/46859DOC.pdf
“Maximum Operating Supply Voltage 1.5VDC
Absolute Maximum Supply Voltage 2VDC”

Some battery types may initially exceed 1.5 vdc. . .but some ICs may have a wider operating voltage range.

give me one example of a size 312 or size 13 hearing aid battery rechargeable or standard that is outside the operating range of a particular hearing aid. show me which brand of battery per their published specs that will not safely work within the published specs of any brand of hearing aid needing that size battery.

I would prefer the Burden of Proof or of Refutation be on you. I’m funny that way. . .:cool:

This is in response to ?tahW to whom you replied as well as to you.

Let’s be careful as we get technical to differentiate battery and cell … a battery has more than 1 cell. Hearing aid power sources are (technically incorrectly) called batteries; they are, AFAIK exclusively, cells.

In the zinc-air chemistry cell has a maximum theoretical output voltage of 1.65V. Design criteria of products intended for hearing aids limit it to 1.4V, thought to be for compatibility with the now unavailable mercury cells of old. This is within the 2V maximum cited in the document by ?tahW

Reference the wikipedia site which I’m required to break up with fewer than 15 posts to my credit … try en.wikipedia.org then /wiki/Zinc%E2%80%93air battery if I did it correctly

As we move to rechargeable cell chemistry, there are certainly types that are not suitable from a voltage situation. Lithium primary chemistries vary significantly, but most are over 3V. The AA and AAA have particular needs for 1.5 or so, and those exist. I don’t see any rechargeable lithium chemistries below 3V, but if the need really exists, I’d expect research to come up with something. I’d come closer to expecting a circuit that would operates at the higher voltage rather than a lower voltage cell, however. AND … secondary lithium cells are not known for safety. I’m not at all sure I’d want one between my earlobe and ear, certainly not in my ear.

We seem off the OP subject now, so let’s create a battery chemistry thread if there is a desire to go deeper.

BUT … in general, there are rechargeable chemistries that fall in the right voltage range … NiMH in particular is common and well understood by the “battery” industry.

you guys have fun… I have a life.

Actually RayoVac and one of the German brands advertises on their packaging now 1.45 volts…

A RayoVac/private label by RayoVac has been 1.45 v for over a year although the package said 1.4 this is as per rayovac employee…

The German Company shows 1.4 on some and 1.45 on others but German batteries also some show made in Germany and others have no such source markings on the front of their packaging. (they may still be made in Germany)

As I just learned some brands still have batteries with some mercury in them … hence not legal in all of the US States… which might or might not bother some folks… Apparently 4 or 5 states have “banned” mercury batteries…

but then of course the post office delivers everywhere as does ups and fedex…

The 1.45 is starting voltage when tab is pulled and zinc etc is air activated… it quickly drops below the 1.45 where it remains stable till battery death… at least as per the zinc hearing aid battery graphs.

YMMV