Kirkland 9.0 Phonak?…Never Again

I can’t speak for all Phonak hearing aids, but I do regret purchasing the Costco Kirkland 9.0 over-the ear type I chose about 1.5 years ago. My complaint is not so much with the aids themselves, but with the software (App) that controls them. They constantly change profiles. Whether I choose one of the preset profiles available in the app, or adjust individual settings and create my own, the aids will not stay where I put them. Instead, they will randomly revert back to the “Automatic” profile originally set up by the audio tech when I was first fitted. And if I do adjust individual settings and create and save a brand new profile, not only will the aids randomly revert back to “Automatic,” but my newly created profile will at some point disappear from the profile list altogether! Just Poof!…Gone! Hard to believe in 2023 this is the best a major player like Phonak can come up with. Reaching out to their support has been equally disappointing. I was told they’re sorry for my inconvenience, but they’d have to send my concerns higher up the chain for answers. I’m still waiting on those answers. My advice to anyone thinking about Phonak aids would be…Unless you’re really into frustration and disappointment, go elsewhere.

1 Like

I think it all depends on what one is looking for. I have KS 9 and love them. I never use the app. Hearing aids in general and Phonaks in particular are designed to be adjusted (programmed) by programming software (Target in Phonak’s case) Apps are an afterthought. If one really wants maximum control over one’s hearing aids, one should consider DIY programming. If one really wants an app, seek a hearing aid known for having a good app. From what I’ve heard, Resound does a pretty good job with their app.

8 Likes

Yeah @MDB, I have a set of Phonak Marvel 90’s (virtually the same as the KS 9’s) that use the 13 batteries, I used them for a couple of months recently… I too, rarely ever use the app, and just leave them in Autosense, and apart from not enough grunt for my loss, they work flawlessly… Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

I appreciate the feedback from you both. I guess I just struggle when a company offers something, but that something, whatever it is, doesn’t really work or doesn’t perform as advertised. My feeling is then, it probably shouldn’t be offered to begin with. Having said that, maybe I’ll try ditching the app and run around naked a bit and see how things go! Lol. I’ve never adjusted the aids manually before. You can up and down with the volume I think. Is that right? Thanks again.
Jeff

1 Like

This issue is less of a problem with Phonak Paradise than it used to be (thanks to updates), but it was similar for me. Phonak’s App got a bad reputation from Marvel onwards.

It may help to think of the app differently. You can use the app as a temporary way to switch programs, but other factors may cause the HA to switch on your behalf. On the other hand, if you want a long-term switch from Auto to another program it may need to be configured as one of the saved programs in your HAs.

2 Likes

IF they’ve been set up by the hearing aid fitter, you can change programs, adjust volume and mute the hearing aids. Note the IF at the beginning. Ideally one should be given something when you get the hearing aids explaining how the buttons are set up.

3 Likes

Hello, I was under the impression the only adjustment on the aids themselves was volume up and down. Maybe I can find a user guide online somewhere. I was probably given one when I bought the aids, but don’t think I still have it. Then again, if the aids are prone to reverting back to the automatic setting when using the app, it seems they’ll probably do the same if I’m changing profiles manually? But I haven’t tried that so I’ll give it a whirl once I find a user guide. Thanks!

1 Like

@Jeff1
This is just how Phonak does it (by default). You can select a program, either by the app, or scrolling, then if something else interferes, like TV Connector or a notification on your phone, it will revert back Automatic.

I tried setting the switching to “manual with beep” in Target, but I was forever pressing buttons, so I disabled Automatic all together, choosing Music as my preferred startup/default. I don’t find it as annoying now.

The app is more stable now though, and holds your setting longer, in my experience.

Peter

1 Like

Getting true control of my Phonaks using Target made a huge difference to me. Indeed, the app is mostly to feed back information to your fitter and is otherwise not very useful, but those adjustments are best done by yourself. Still a mystery to me why Phonak doesn’t just make their fitware widely available. As things are, their excellent hardware severely underperforms for most users. The manufacturer is probably stuck in the view their clients are all elderly and half-demented.

3 Likes

What the buttons do is determined in the fitting software. Depending on what means by “adjustment,” volume is the only true adjustment. However, if the aids have manual programs set up (not just Autosense), one can select a manual program with the buttons and one can mute the aids, IF they’ve been set up that way.

1 Like

I’m quite sure I’ve seen it online in the past - have you tried Googling?

An online user guide won’t tell you how the buttons on the hearing aids have been set up.

Their clients are the people who setup our hearing aids. Not us

We get to choose the fitter.

That person may have skill. They may not. Mine did not. I couldn’t hear for two years

He fired me. I found someone skilled

I can hear now.
I leave them in auto and wear them

Until they were set up properly I Blaimed Phonak for selling a terrible product

It was the person I got them from I should have left long ago

I respect all here who help. And those who tune them up themselves.

3 Likes

If I was starting over I would use COSTCO and Kirkland.

Saving money is good

And I think the experience and guarantee would surely be better than what I had for two years

Dr what’s his name is helpful at times. I’ve learned lots from many of his videos

I don’t know what his legacy will be. Helpful? Angry?

Wish him well

1 Like

Just to clarify, Costco no longer sells Kirkland (or Phonak) hearing aids. This of course might change.

Just wanted to thank everyone for your input. I was told when I was fitted that the app was necessary to control aids, and was not made aware anything but volume up and down could be done without the app. Having said that, there is fine tuning that can enhance your ability to hear that can only be done with the app. Unfortunately Phonak’s software performance has not kept up with its hardware. There really is no reason I can think of why a profile you create and save, should randomly just disappear from the list. Or why the software should arbitrarily switch profiles. And while I am going to try using the aids without the app, I’m pretty sure I’m going to switch makers when I purchase my next pair. Thanks again to all who weighed in.

2 Likes

They switched from Kraft peanut butter to Jif in Canada years ago

A year later r they went back to Kraft.

I’m sure the buyers at COSTCO are on it

1 Like

Count me as another very happy KS9 user, as I have expressed elsewhere on the forum in greater detail.

1 Like

I too am a happy KS 9 owner…in my left ear. In 2017, the first pair hearing aids I trialed were Phonak Marvels or it might have been the model before it. I ended up with Oticon OPN 2. The reason, the reputation and how good they were. For me big mistake. Should have bought the Marvels. In 12/2019, I suffered SSHD (sudden hearing loss in my better ear. I trialed a single Phonak in my left ear. I bought and would have kept it except the only solution to my right ear was a Cochlear implant by Cochlear. This meant I needed a ReSound aid to work witb thd Cochlear sound processor.

While the ReSound for me is okay. I wanted the Phonak aid. So I ended up buying one KS9 HA. it has become my primary aid with my Kanso 2 sound processor. My left ear has always had loss so a hearing aid that didn’t work with Cochlear is fine and mt ReSound is my back-up.

Things work fine for me and I’m happy witb the KS9. Too bad Costco and Phonak no longer play nice with each other. If Costco stuck with the battery operated KS HA’s Phonak aids would still be in Costco. The sound in ReSound HA’s is muted (quieter) like the OPN’s were. Phonak gives me a detailed, louder sound.

At any rate, for my experience with both Phonak and ReSound (with my Quattro 9) do the same thing, what ever program I change to on the app’s, they both revert to Automatic (Phonak) or All Around (ReSound). They programs do not stay in thd program I chose, whether a pre program or custom.

1 Like

@debbie_o
Marvels were introduced in 2019. You likely had Ventures before that.
Just for info, I’ve disabled auto in my Marvels & Paradise. They revert to Music now, which I much prefer. Can be done in the fitting software.

2 Likes