Kanso battery life

Hi All,

My son (28 months old) got his bilateral implant (profile plus 632) on 29 Aug 2021 and switched on 10 days later. We are currently using Kanso 1 (loan unit)and will received Kanso 2 which will be launched next month.

The battery life for my son’s Kanso (left) is only 13.5 hours of usage. Based on the mapping estimation, it should last 28 hours.

Anyone know the reason? We have checked with Cochlear agent in Malaysia but they are still searching for the reason. We were given a new processor for exchange but the battery life is similar. Hence it rule out the possibility of faulty processor.

We are now monitoring his right Kanso battery life. According to the mapping, it should last 30 hours.

I wear Kanso2 processors about 16 hours each day.
The battery life at the end of each day is consistently between 50 and 55 percent at the end of the day.

The thickness of the scalp also plays a part on battery life, not just mappings.

I have read the Kanso2 processors have much better battery life.

1 Like

I have an N7 and my compact battery life lasts about 16 hours. Battery life is effected by a few things, usage, skin thickness and the actual mapping itself.
The K1 loan you have could be years old and the battery life might be at the end of its normal life span.
With the K2 you could have trouble keeping them on your sons head, as they are very easily knocked off or just pulled off. Could be very easily lost as well by a young child.

1 Like

Went to audiology today. It is difficult to get my son sit still and follow the instruction. He is responding to 500hz at 50db. No response for high frequency.

Audiologist decided to increase the level for high frequency and we will monitor and return for mapping in 2 weeks time.

Cochlear has feedback that the mapping used is power hunger somehow and they will need to manually set the mapping with different software so it will not stress the battery. Not sure what they meant but we will find out more during the next mapping session.

@Deaf_piper the kanso 1 is using 675 batteries. We have also given a new kanso 1 as loan.

Yes we heard that kanso 2 has retention issue especially with profile plus. My son is using magnet 2. We will request for magnet 3 and add comfortable padding. Hopefully it stays attached all the time.

2 Likes

May I know what is your implants type? Do you have difficulty for kanso 2 to stay on your head?

Both implants are CI612 arrays.
The Kanso2 processors with the #5 magnets had a difficult time staying attached the first 3-4 months but now hold well.

The Kanso 2 processor can use a security line to attached to either a shirt collar or a hair clip.
I use the collar type because of my insecurities of losing the processors. The K2 is like a little wheel that can roll anywhere and easily lost. The collar clip is plastic and pretty much junk in my opinion. I replaced both of mine with spring loaded metal “badge” clips.

1 Like

My audiologist showed me the hair clip type and it is nice. It might be good for your son. My hair is thinning but the hair clip held well.

Thanks for the sharing and that’s a pretty kanso 2 there!es we are using the plastic clip onto my son’s shirt. Getting a hair clip next week to test it out.

I am surprised magnet 5 is possible on kanso 2. I have read it somewhere only up to magnet 4 is allowed.

1 Like

Hi all, just an update for my son’s CI.

We did not carry out the new mapping(suggested from cochlear) on our Kanso 1 because our audiologist insist that the existing mapping is good for my son with his current hearing progress. Hence we continue with the Kanso 1 for another month until we finally received the Kanso 2 on Christmas eve.

We have no battery issue with the same mapping on Kanso 2. The battery life for Kanso 2 is amazing which can last 2 full day (12 hours a day) with 15% battery left before we charge it again. It is slightly heavier so we increase the magnet strength to 3 and it holds well.

Overall, Kanso 2 solves all our problem and we are now able to focus on the speech progress for my son! Thanks everyone for the sharing! :grinning:

2 Likes

I’m very happy to hear this. Onward and upward with your sons speech therapy. Fingers crossed for him that everything just falls into place quickly for him. Keep us updated on how he is progressing please. Good luck on his new hearing journey.