Jury Duty?

I received a summons for jury duty last week.

I feel that my hearing is too poor even with recent hearing aids to hear well enough to give justice to the defendant.

In similar situations, for example sermons in church or a classroom / lecture, I have a lot of trouble understanding.

I have an appointment with my ENT to request a doctor’s note which is required for an exemption next week.

If inclined, look at my audiogram for reference.

I would like to hear other’s thoughts and experiences.

Thank you, Jeff

4 Likes

About 8 years ago I showed up for jury duty.
When the judge talked about things I couldn’t hear him. I raised my hand and told him this. He then waved me forward and asked a question that I could not hear.
He excused me from jury duty at that point.

Since then I have received two summons. I did not respond to them, acted like they never came.

5 Likes

i was called for jury duty a few years ago. What I did was attach a copy of my audiogram to the form I had to return and I wrote on the return form where it asked if I had a condition that would prevent me from doing jury that "I am sorry but I am going deaf and would have lots of trouble being able to hear what is going on. " I have never heard from them again! And I used to get called every 2 years.

2 Likes

I was called up here in Canada a few years ago. When they called me forward for selection, I told the judge that I am hearing impaired and that I could not guarantee that I would be able to accurately hear people testifying and I felt it was unfair to the people on trail. He dismissed me from the case and future jury duty.

Jordan

6 Likes

I called the court’s jury administrators and they sent me an affidavit to fill out and have notarized and it must be accompanied by a doctor’s note. :frowning:

Houston! :frowning:

Jeff

3 Likes

My VA audiologist gave me a letter to give to the jury manager, that basically said that my hearing loss was such that i could be a liability to the case and vould be a reason for a mistrial. At first the judge refused to dismiss me. But the lawyers won’t choose me so same results I wasn’t on the trial. But I believe that my career was the reason they didn’t choose me. Lawyers don’t like critical thinkers. And I spend my career as a troubleshooter in electronics and IT. Yes I do question everything just ask any of my doctors.

5 Likes

In some areas, there is automatic excusing from jury duty over a certain age. It’s worthwhile to check in your county/area.

4 Likes

I live in a county and area that the average age is over 65. If you are breathing and mobile in any way, you can be on a jury.

2 Likes

Where I live you can excuse your self from jury duty at age 70.
I’m 71.
I no longer have jury duty.

2 Likes

Never been called for jury duty in the UK I hope I never will now, because the maximum age is 76. Past that 3 years ago. Getting old and deafer Lol.

2 Likes

Making you jump through hoops.

While still in practice, I have written numerous letters for patients saying their hearing was bad enough that I felt they would not be able to effectively serve as a juror. It would have been unfair to both the prosecution and defense to have part of their testimony misunderstood. Your provider should be able to write a letter to excuse you from jury duty.

4 Likes

In 40 years living in New England (so far), I was summonsed to jury duty three times. Twice to a local court (district court) and once to a greater county level court, a superior court. I was only seated once, about 15 years ago, at the superior court. I sat through a trial on a young immigrant standing for having a drug with intent to distribute. I was deep in denial about hearing issues. But I think I did OK. I thought everything was loud. My juror number was drawn to be an alternate, so I didn’t get to sit through the deliberations. But they came to the same conclusion I did, although for a different reason. I would ask to be excused today though.

WH

2 Likes

I once served on a federal case it was a lawsuit that should never have been allowed to waste everyone’s time and money.

2 Likes

I just returned from the visit with the ENT. She looked at my word comprehension and agreed that I should not serve jury duty and is giving me a note.

The maximum age here in Harris County (Houston), TX used to be 70. It is now 75 and I’m just short of 74.

I guess my problem is resolved.

I found all of the responses to my question most instructional. I hope members of the forum that have a similar issue in the future will refer to this thread.

Thank you very much, Jeff

4 Likes

See my audiogram. I was excused…

1 Like

Thank you, sir.

Jeff

Well, gosh. Years ago, when I got called to jury duty, I was excused. This year when called, I spoke to their office and was connected to a man who asked what kind of accessibility assistance I needed. Pocket Talker? Captions? ASL interpreter? I chose captions, he said “sure”, but they’d need time for scheduling and budget. So the postponed my participation til later this year.
I’m thrilled, actually. It’s so cool to have the system be responsive to my needs! We shouldn’t be denied the rights of citizenship because of a disability. Really glad my local government figured that out!

8 Likes

Hi User699

That is a very good experience. The administrator never offered any assistive technology when I explained to him that I had poor hearing, even with hearing aids.

You are absolutely correct, individuals with special needs should be able to participate in all phases of social and official interactions.

As large as Houston is, I have only found one movie theater that has tele coil capable audio assistance.

Jeff

3 Likes

I’m so happy to get this chance, even tho I well remember how insanely tedious jury duty is. So funny, getting jazzed about a disagreeable experience.
We still have spotty accessibility with movies ( even tho EVERY film is captioned on streaming). But loops are pretty commonplace in churches, ferries, airports, government meetings,live theaters and even some concert halls.
I’m in Washington state near Seattle. We have a super-active chapter of HLAA, which does non-stop advocacy.

4 Likes