Jabra Pro 10 (or the new Pro 20) M&RIE (3rd mic)?

I’ve ordered the pro 20s with M&REI and will get them from Costco next Wednesday.
I’ve also been paying attention to posts about the tv streamer and it’s substitutes. Any more news from you. on that subject will be welcomed.

I am satisfied with the sound quality of my TV withOUT the TV streamer, AND I want to avoid the potential complexities and incompatibilities of running a streamer for me AND the normal TV speaker sound for my family when we watch TV, so I can’t be much help with that.

Jim G

1 Like

At this point I think anything any answer you will get is a guess. I would imagine the streamer+ will be available everywhere really shortly.

I’m also guessing that that there will be many brands of optical, coax and headphone line in adapters in the next few months on. There is no doubt this is will be the new standard for a long while.

I had my hearing exam Tuesday and ordered my 20’s, I asked about the streamer and she said “oh, you don’t want that, you’ll be fine without it”. I don’t have a streamer on my current pair, but I decided that I want a remote mic and a streamer or 2 for my house.

That’s not very smart on your HCP’s part. The value of a streamer is the sound is direct to your ears, cutting out any fall-off in audio quality with distance from TV speakers or sound degradations from room reverberations, etc. (Speech understanding falls off with distance from the sound source, in part because of reverberations from walls and objects in a room). Also, if you have a forced air heating/cooling system, overhead fans, refrigerator noises, other people in other rooms yakking or making noise, etc., you don’t have to have your TV sound degraded by that. And if other folks around you don’t want to hear what you’re watching on TV, you can stream the sound exclusively to your HA’s and turn off the broadcast TV sound entirely.

A mini-bonus feature of a streamer is that you can run to the frig for a snack or take a bathroom break and still very likely hear the TV sound quite well when you’re a room or two away. When I watch a sporting event and take such a break, I can hear announcer comments/theme music, etc., that cues me that it’s time to end my break and get back to the TV.

1 Like

Jim Lewis: You make a reasonable case for the TV streamer. Yes, I agree the quality of the electronically streamed sound would be betetr than the quality of the sound from the TV speakers which is received by the HAs, converted to electronic signals, tarsnferred to the HA recievers, and again converted into speaker sound in your ear canals. But a few questions:

1. When the TV Streamer is connected and active, do most TVs also automatically (vs you doing anything manually) enable the Streamer AND regular TV speakers (for the family members watching with you who don’t have HAs)? And is your streamer volume affected by any volume changes THEY make to the TV speakers?

2. If a phone call comes in while using the TV Streamer, do the HAs automatically cut off the TV Streamer and handle the call instead? Or do you have to do anything manually?

I guess, what I am asking is how everyhting works when using a TV streamer, from when you first turn on the TV to when both you and the family are hearing your respective sounds.

I’m asking because a ReSound/Jabra Streamer, whether the TV Streamer 2 or the TV Streamer+, is quite expensive here in Canada, and surprise glitches or incompatibilities would be a pretty unwelcome issue.

Jim G

I don’t know the answer to this because my TV is a pretty ancient Sony 1080p set (the wife refuses to upgrade!), and since we have a Yamaha amplifier/speaker system, the TV sound is set to exit the TV via a digital audio Toslink cable. It goes to a POWERED Toslink splitter. One digital audio output goes to the TV Streamer 2; the other output is the same cable that was originally plugged into the TV, goes to the Yamaha amplifier. So, YES, in this situation, the volume of each output is independently controllable by the TV Streamer/Smart 3D app/HA buttons and the Yamaha amplifier volume control. Does It Make Much Difference What Type of Audio Output Is Used for TV Streaming? - Analog vs. Coaxial vs. TOSLINK S/PDIF?

The TV Streamer 2 was originally something like $260 at Costco, September 2019. For me at the time, there was no foreseeable path to stream directly to my HAs without the ReSound streamer. Now that BT LE Audio offers the possibility of generic connectivity directly to TVs at some time in the future, one does have to calculate whether a Streamer expenditure is really worth it in the meantime or the best option is to wait for a cheaper universal streamer on Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, etc., or just upgrade one’s TV when BT LE Audio comes built-in. I can’t see ReSound or any other HA OEM blocking direct streaming from an LE Audio-capable TV to LE Audio-capable HAs. That would really be iniquitous.

We’re talking about a hearing aid manufacturer here Jim. Interesting question though. Is it possible? You’d think that they wouldn’t get certified by Bluetooth SIG if they didn’t allow all connections with other compatible devices. You’d still need an Auracast assistant app on your phone though to do the matchmaking and as far as I can tell there aren’t any yet.

Sound output from TVs are the realm of the TV vendor. A friend has a TV that allows a choice of one of TV speakers or TOSlink or HDMI or analog. My 3 or 4 year old LG TV supports TV speaker or TOSLink or HDMI or BT or TV speaker + TOSLink. The last time I looked, Samsung’s new TVs were the only ones that claim to be compliant with the new standard right now. You’d have to delve into the Samsung manual to figure out what they do.

For me, audio streaming from TV or phone to my HAs is much clearer than TV or phone speaker through the air to HAs. I need CC on the TV without the streamer, which is useless for untaped/live TV shows; I don’t need CC with the TVS 2. As usual, YMMV.

1 Like

Thank-you, Guys!

Jim G

1. The last two TV’s I’ve had provided TOSlink audio output which is gives the best digital quality, to the TV Streamer 2 in the case of the Jabra Pro 20s. They transmit sound simultaneous with the TV speakers or soundbar. The streamer volume is controlled independently of the speaker volume setting using the app and there is a separate “volume” control for the TV streamer and other sources of sound into the ear. There is also a handy small Remote Control 2 that can be used to control the TV Streamer 2. I bought on eBay for $25 and the TV Streamer 2 for $51.
  2. If a phone call comes in the TV sound stops until the phone call completes and then reconnects to the TV sound, all automatically.
3 Likes

Thank-you, Drawde! That’s what I needed to know.

Jim G

For anybody wanting the battery version of the Jabras, the 20’s are much wider than the 10s (to accommodate the telecoil and larger battery I think). I’ve been using for a few weeks and still having trouble getting used to the size. I don’t know exactly why they bother me, but they do. I’d love to have the latest tech (although the LE audio is a disaster with my Galaxy Flip 5), but I’m considering sticking with the 10s for the size.

I don’t hear any huge difference in the audio quality between the two. Only thing I notice that is better on the 20s is the range of the bluetooth connection. And of course the battery life is longer due to the larger battery, but the 10s last 4 or 5 days which is fine with me.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Doesn’t seem like enough difference for me to upgrade to the 20’s.

I ended up sticking with 20s. Just didn’t want to be multiple generations behind on the tech.I’ll have to get used to the size. The nice lady at Costco said in next few years people won’t be able to get battery hearing aids. All will be rechargeables. Costco being a big pusher of that. So eventually, I’ll end up with thinner hearing aids anyway.

1 Like

My Jabra 20s look VERY small and thin to me. Do the 20s come in more than one size??

Jim G

You must have the rechargeable version. They are smaller. It’s the replaceable battery ones that are big.

1 Like

Oh, makes sense! I DO have the rechargeable version.

Jim G

The M&RIE: What is your understanding of guidelines for fitting this ‘extra’ mic? I asked for it at Costco and received it without argument in my Jabra Enhance Pro 20s. My friend (at another Costco) was told that his hearing was “too far into the severe” range for it to be recommended. I have not seen much discussion about “hearing levels” for-or-against installing the M&RIE. Comment?

I figured the extra directionality would be welcome. I could see no disadvantages. But in fairness, I never asked if there could possibly be any disadvantages. I cannot see how there could be.

Jim G

1 Like

I bet you run into issues of having to reduce gain to prevent feedback when there’s a mic so close to the receiver and you are trying to pipe in fairly high sound pressure levels to overcome deeper loss.

WH