Jabra EP20 Hands-free phone calls Question

I’ve had the JEP20’s for 6 months and I’m just now trying out the hands-free calling feature. My question is this:

Is my half of the conversation being picked up by the HA mics or the iPhone? I would assume it is being picked up by the Jabras, but if I receive a call and my phone is in another room, the caller can’t hear me. In this case, it seems like the iPhone’s mic is being used, not the Jabra mic.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks,

-john

Hey John,
I believe the way it works is the iPhone acts as the intermediary between the network and the hearing aids. So the iPhone can operate using Bluetooth or, in some cases the more advanced Bluetooth called LE (Low Energy) Audio. JEP20s are set up for both but it’s my understanding that Jabra have not yet made the software available so it may be using regular Bluetooth for now. LE Audio has better sound and uses less battery power. The Jabras are talking to the iPhone and vice versa.

Thanks…that’s good to know. I just hope Jabra updates things sooner rather than later.

-john

You could leave the phone where it is, go to another room, close the door and see (then report back). Maybe wait for a non-important call/ friendly caller first…

Going into another room while on a call is how I discovered this issue. The person on the other end of the call doesn’t hear me. I have to be near the iPhone for a two-way conversation. So far I have not figured out what combination of settings might change this.

I have the same issue with my Jabra EP10s. Have tried everything to get it working. Worked when I got them a year ago but not now. Wondering if a firmware update has messed them up.

This is actually a myth which somehow got propagated here. The Jabra EP 20 are set up for Bluetooth Low Energy Audio now and no firmware update is needed. But Apple has not implemented Low Energy Audio in any iPhone yet, not even the 15 Pro Max, and so the EP 20 can’t use BT Low Energy Audio to connect to an iPhone. So the connection uses regular BT Low Energy for now, as you say, but for a different reason!

1 Like