Jabra Enhance Pro 20 Adjustment to "narrow the cone" was very helpful

I asked my Costco HCP to adjust my Jabra Enhance Pro 20 for better performance in crowded restaurants and meetings, and it worked!

I have had my Pro 20s for 2-1/2 weeks and love them overall. But, I had some difficulty holding conversations with my wife and others twice, once when in a very crowded restaurant, and secondly when at an evening soiree at the Yoga studio my wife attends. In both cases, the HAs successfully highlighted the conversations over any other sounds, BUT they highlighted ALL the conversations, inclduing ones all around me, which did not make holding my personal conversations easier!

I asked my HCG to “narrow the cone” of conversations picked up in the "Hear in Noise: setting, I asked for an approximately 90 degree “cone” (45 degrees left of where I am facing to 45 degrees right of where I am facing). I figured this would enable me to hear, and my brain to understand, much more easily what my actual conversation partners were saying in a crowded setting over what OTHER people all around us were saying.

It took my HCG all of what seemed like a couple of minutes to make the requested adjustment,

Today, I, my wife, and my son all went to the same crowded restaurant, and the restaurant was so full that we had to wait for a table!

The adjustment worked!

I was able to carry on a crystal clear conversation, that I did not need to work to “dig out” of all the other conversations (dozens of them) going on around us. VERY pleasant.

If you are having similar difficulties in crowded places, I encourage you to ask your HCG to make an adjustment that will work for YOU.

Jim G

6 Likes

Interesting, when I look at the Omnia settings for Front Focus in the Smart Fit fitting software, there is the Directional Mix option as an Advanced Feature. The choices there for the amount of Directional Mix are Very Low, Low, Medium, and High. And my Omnias are already at what is probably the default setting for Front Focus: High.

I do use Front Focus, particularly when grocery shopping. I find I can still hear conversations to the side. What’s in front of me is definitely amplified but doesn’t seem severely restricted to what’s directly ahead of me.

I was wondering if Hear-in-Noise was basically the old Restaurant program, but just as Costco doesn’t want to mess around with tinnitus management, perhaps Costco didn’t want to mess around with users who accidentally changed the amount of focus in the Restaurant program and then couldn’t figure out what they’d done to their hearing. So maybe ReSound left the amount of focus accessible to Costco HCPs through fitting software to tune if users want Hear-In-Noise adjustments. Omnias don’t have the Hear-In-Noise program option, but we have a choice of Front Focus vs. Restaurant for one of the four basic programs, and we could have both if we wanted to sacrifice something else. The directionality of the Restaurant program is user-tunable in the ReSound Smart 3D app (Hear-In-Noise isn’t directionally tunable by the user), but Front Focus is supposed to give better forward-facing speech focus.

1 Like

It’s unfortunate that this adjustment can’t be made in the app. I was at a restaurant last night and my Jabra Pro 20’s did not perform well. If I could have “narrowed the cone” that might have made all the difference.

1 Like

Mart_C: Your local HCG can modify the “Noise” setting, adding this “narrow cone”, just like mine did, and then you can call it up anytime you need it via your IPhone or the HA button.

Jim G

3 Likes

Thanks Jim: Just to clarify, can you now select either setting on your phone, or is it now just the narrow cone without access to the default setting?

You can have any combination you want BUT the total number of settings you can have is limited to 4. For example, I have All-around, Hear in Noise, Outdoor, and Music.

I do not know (yet) if the limit of 4 can somehow be circumvented.

Jim G

Ok I see how it works. I’ll be in for a follow up in early January so I will try to have the Hear In Noise setting adjusted. And I see if they give me the same information wrt limits on the number of programs.

It cannot, the limit is 4, however you can as you say have them configured as you wish, for instance you could have “front focus” on start up and any other 3, you do get extra program by adding acoustic phone or t-coil, plus of course, Bluetooth tv streamer,phone clip, multi mic.
You can also change the microphone direction from 360° in All Around to Omni, but you lose the directional mixing (it’s an auto setting that mixes the omni and directional processing) so all in all there’s quite a few things your audiologist could adjust.
I think Jim was referring to “Autoscope” the cone thing ; )

I like to stream music from my phone directly to my hearing aids. I find that if I adjust the equalizer to bring up the base and lower the treble, the sound quality is not bad. So I created a program with that adjustment. However, I find that although it works fine when I switch to the program, if I try to go back to All Around, the equalizer stays in that same mode instead of switching back to optimal flat so that my programmed hearing correction will work. I have to go into the equalizer and reset it at that point.

Any idea how to make the equalizer return to default automatically when I switch back to All Around?

1 Like

I remember something like that also when I tried to make a change to the all-around program and save it as a favorite. As I recall it went back to the proper thing after some moments.

However when I move that to my music program I was doing much better. And I don’t recall having problems. I don’t have any favorites right now as my HCP 's fitting adjustments are good for me.

If you don’t have one the music program is really helpful for improved sound particularly when you increase the base and lower the treble like you did.

Have your HCP increase Streaming Bass Boost in the streaming function as well. Really helped me.

If your saved program was started from all around, try going to a different program first, then back to all around. I remember from a while ago having to do this.

2 Likes