Itchy ear canals-terrible and chronic

Has anyone had any luck finding something that stops itchy ear canals?
So far I have tried the following with no success:
Otoease lubricant, Otoferm cream, Lip seal that has bees wax, Washing the molds every day–that helps, My own saliva, no lube at all–difficult to get my tight molds in. In desparation I tried putting Hydrogen Peroxide in my ear only to start feeling extremely dizzy, cold sweats and nausea. The itch stopped for a while though.
Anyone out there with a better idea?:frowning:

egger claims to make molds with anti alergenic properties

I have used a balm or oil called Miracell? I think. It helped me get used to my hearing aids. Used more for the first few weeks and was able to back off to a drop or two a week. Should be available on-line or in your audi’s shop. Hope this helps.

I wonder if you are allergic to the plastic the aid is made out of.

The factory I use can produce a clear shell that is hypoallergenic. But on special request they can boil the plastic to further remove impurities that you might be allergic to.

Another option, although it is not cheap, is to have the hearing aids gold plated. It’s an option I used for a patient who would get that itch, and even swelling in his ear canals. It fixed the problem right away.

MY dermatoligists told me to use Scalpicin (max strength) for the same problem. He instructed me to put a few drops on a cue tip, and rub on the outside of the canal. It worked. Scalpicin is for scalp itch, and is sold over the counter. Hope this helps.

i ALSO USE MIRACELL, iTS OK , JUST BE CAREFUL NOT TO USE TOO MUCH. iT IS ALSO GOOD FOR OTHER THINGS LIKE SKIN INFECTONS

It could be that you just need a dehumidifier. The new Zephyr would be a good choice: http://www.dryandstore.com/index.cgi?CONTEXT=cat&cat=15

I’ve had itchy ears for about a year now, the first two ENT’s that I saw just prescribed drops and figured it was just a low grade infection of some sort. The third ENT I saw (my new favorite doc), within 45 seconds of being in the exam room determined it was fungus. Prescribed a regimen of drops and cream and it was cleared up in no time. I’m on my 2nd week of drops and I’ll continue them until every last spore is sure to be killed off, but my ears no longer itch and drain.

The drops were generic Lotrimin 10% solution and the cream was for external ear canal usage. Generic Lotrimin cream.

I use Miracell, it helps. Google on line for it if you cant buy it locally.

America Hears made me custom molds made of hypoallergenic materials. They work great for one ear but cause too much occusion for another. However, I am gratefully not reactiing to the materials in the new molds. Now I am seeking hypoallergenic tips for the ear that has the occusion. If anyone knows were to order hypoallergenic tips/domes, let me know!

westone do have some acrilic with a lacquer which helps to relieve the itching

I think you are going about the itchy ear problem with the wrong ideas. The itch is caused by fluid moving inside your ear. That is caused by a more serious problem, you have an infection in your ear. You need to go to your ENT and he/she will help you there. Once the problem has been solved, clean your ear molds every morning before insertion so that the infection is not reinserted into your ear. I speak from experience. Also I have been wearing BTE in both ears since I was 15, but I now have digital aids for the first time. I have run problems with these mainly feedback, and it is not from poor fitting aids, but it is driving me nuts. I find it is quite often triggered by certain rooms, (bathrooms) that the sound is reverberating. Does anyone understand what I mean? Would appreciate advce. These aids are new to my Audi also. I have naida ultra VI.:o

I think you are going about the itchy ear problem with the wrong ideas. The itch is caused by fluid moving inside your ear. That is caused by a more serious problem, you have an infection in your ear. You need to go to your ENT and he/she will help you there. Once the problem has been solved, clean your ear molds every morning before insertion so that the infection is not reinserted into your ear. I speak from experience. Also I have been wearing BTE in both ears since I was 15, but I now have digital aids for the first time. I have run problems with these, mainly feedback, and it is not from poor fitting aids, but it is driving me nuts. I find it is quite often triggered by certain rooms, (bathrooms) that the sound is reverberating. Does anyone understand what I mean? Would appreciate advice. These aids are new to my Audi also. I have naida ultra V.:o

I too have had dreadfully itchy ears with my HA’s. As a kid, I suffered from “swimmer’s ear”, so I decided to try the drops you can get in a pharmacy to help dry out ears after swimming or showering. They do help. I also use a Dry and Store device nightly for my aids.

i am trialing both a pair of cics and an ote (ric) aid. Both aids give me that awful itching in the ear canal . I do not believe its an infection, as Ive been checked, its only when I put the aids in. I actually have to take the aids out and itch the ear with my little finger vigorously,if you know what I mean… It then goes away. I may have to do this a couple of times… Its more like a tickling than itching. Maybe Im experiecing something different…

Go to your doctor and get a tube of Econ cream. Put a small amount on with a qtip once a day for a week your problem will be gone. I suffered two years with it. My doctor suggest olive oil of course it didn’t work.

I swab my ears once a day with a vinegar water solution applied with a Q-tip. That pretty much keeps the itches away. I’ll do it twice a day if I’m sweating a lot. This keeps the PH of the skin in the ear acidic enough to hinder fungus growth. The mixture I use is 5 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to 20 oz. of water. It also works to hinder athletes feet, which I fight with during the summer. Just apply and let dry, do not dry with towel. I did check this with my audiologist before doing it.

If caused by dryness, you might try Ameda Lansinoh Lanolin Cream. It’s made for other purposes but is reputed to be very good for dry nose and other dry areas.

I’m going to repeat what’s already been said. MIRACELL

I have been using Miracell ProEar for over a year now. It really works well. I just use enough to put a very thin film on the mold by rubbing it into the mold material with my fingers before inserting the mold in my ear. I have noticed that the ProEar product is not shown on the Miracell website. I contacted the company and they said that (in Canada) they only supply it to Audiology clinics. It comes in a very small bottle but lasts many months.:slight_smile: