Is this safe to use? Green stuff inside the receiver wire connector

I pull out the receiver connector to change the wire length. I just spot a green stuff inside the connector.

I try to clean it and brush it. It stuck inside and no way to remove.

Would it do any harm if I continue to use it? Like green rust will spreading to other metal that contacted with?

Is there green corrosion in the hearing aid as well?
My guess is sweating has caused this.
Use compressed air to blow out what you can. A tiny bit of dielectric grease on the connection might stop the problem.

Can not imagine this being dangerous.

1 Like

Yes, I checked the other part of the hearing aids. No noticeable green stuff.

I try to brush it hard, try to blow it out or try to suck it out. It stuck in a tiny hole in the connector for good.

What concerns me is, whether green corrosion will spread if other metals come into contact with it? like bacteria spreading if you touch it or something.

I checked the receiver, it working fine. The best I can do is buy a new one and don’t think about it but that would be a waste of money.

Corrosion like that on electrical connections in general is not good for a circuit and will only get worse if not removed. It will not be easy to remove without some way of physically scraping the surface.

2 Likes

I had thought of using Corrosion X on it. It sure has cleaned up things for me very similar to the receiver connection.

The trick is to stop the source of corrosion, sweat I would think. So some form of seal at the connection should work, dielectric.

Thank you. So I better go buy a new one.

Next time I should clean and check for moisture.

Sweat (moisture) react with copper likely to give a green coloration. It looks like an oxidation has occured - sweat + copper. Used a dryer every night if possible.
Get a spare one just in case there is a problem.

1 Like

You need a hearing aid dryer if you don’t have one.

2 Likes