Is there a way to get a Phonak L90 to stream in only one ear?

Just curious, Is there a way to get a Phonak L90 to stream in only one ear?

Sometimes I’d like to have one ear open to conversation, and the audio stream in another.

I’m not getting phone calls in the L90s, I didn’t have my Audi turn that feature on. I do stream from my tablet while couch-surfing, and I’d like to use one as an in-ear monitor when gigging at low volumes.

Thanks

You can’t unfortunately.

Only way is to adjust this to R Altho I can’t hear out of my L then but my friend it works well for.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try it.

1 Like

LOL! C’mon over to MY house. From 7:30pm to 10pm or so every single night, you will ONLY be streaming with your LEFT Phonak aid. The RIGHT aid will refuse to stream at all. That way, if I sit with my RIGHT aid/ear next to my hubs, I can hear all his ceaseless questions and comments during 2 hours of TV viewing. :slight_smile:

That said, this one-eared streaming is likely an oddity unique to my own house. A total mystery that started back in June and continues to now.

I’m guessing you don’t want to come all the way HERE to where I live to enjoy single-ear streaming, so follow those instructions for the phone app that Zebras has posted above.

You SHOULD however be getting all phone calls, as they override any source you’re streaming with (TV, music device, laptop, etc.,). If you aren’t even getting phone calls, then you are likely not paired + connected to your phone via Bluetooth. Do you know if that’s the case?

@BobbyBoomer Just a question but what happens if you do not connect or pair just one of the aids to your BT streaming device?

@emile.heilbron

With Phonak, there is only one HA with Bluetooth. It then streams without Bluetooth to the other HA to get sound in both HAs from a Bluetooth source.

For me, if I get an ear infection in my R and can’t wear my Aid, I can’t use Bluetooth for phone calls / music until I can wear my R Aid again.

Should add, the App connection is different and each HA is connected via LE Bluetooth.

That’s I hope and assume not very often. So DIY or at least having Target on your PC for that comes in handy. You have the option there to change the BT connected side from default to the other side :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

@emile.heilbron

I think Phonak should allow the App to change Bluetooth sides but it may not be possible.

Yes being DIY is handy :slight_smile:

Connect one and it connects both. Good thinking on your part, though.

Thanks

Couldn’t you put it in your pocket?

You can program both hearing aids on the Phonk Target under separate usernames, but this will disable some of the advanced features of using the hearing aids due to the lack of wireless transmission between the two sides.

2 Likes

It would cause such feedback, make a loud racket that I’ll be looked at when out and about.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info.

Well I used to own a pair of Phonak Audeo B-Direct aids about 4-5 yrs ago, and they ONLY streamed to ONE aid. I got to pick the one, so I said, “Let it be the LEFT aid!” (My brain seems to not process sounds very well coming in the RIGHT aid.)

Single-ear streaming may be fine for some folks but I found it almost laughably LAME. I couldn’t believe Phonak even released this cuz soon enough the Marvel came out, I bought that, and it streamed hands-free (no necklace or doodad needed) beautifully in stereo to BOTH aids.
:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@BobbyBoomer, an alternative to hearing streamed content in one ear and conversation in other ear that I use: In the MyPhonak app; in the “Bluetooth Streaming + mic” section, click “Ambient Balance”. This slider directly adjusts ratio of how much ambient conversations you will hear vs. how much streaming content. As I write this, I’m listening to classical music while carrying on a conversation with my wife and grand daughter.

The trade off is, along with voices you get room noises (refrigerator, etc.). When I’m alone, I push this slider all the way towards audio and minimizing surroundings. Room hiss is greatly reduced this way and I use this setting for enjoying music. It’s not voices in one ear, music in the other though. Mine are L70’s.

If you are gigging via bluetooth and conversing via ambient this might work for you.

I have calls enabled when paired with my phone, but on my tablet’s bluetooth options I disable that option for connection for calls but enable for streaming audio. This way you could have both capabilities but switchable yourself.

1 Like

Thanks. It’s definitely worth a try.

1 Like