Is there a law in NJ that says a hearing aid trial period is mandated?

Is there a law in NJ that says a trial period is mandated? Thanks!

No. They are the exception.

Maybe try Costco? They have a 180 day trial period that might be nationwide.

If I were you I would make a phone call or visit at least 3 other audiologists and ask them if a trial period is mandated. If they all say yes then there is. If they say NO or never heard of it then you know you are being lied to and you should run from whoever told you that.

1 Like

Depending on where in NJ you live, you could drive a little farther to an audiologist in NY, PA, or DE where they do have laws requiring a minimum trial period for hearing aids. You could then either stuck with that Audi and the longer drive or return them and switch back to the NJ Audi of your choosing, now equipped with the knowledge of which hearing aid works best for you.

1 Like

No law but many providers give you a trial period. I purchased from Ziphearing and had 45 days to return them

1 Like

I tried 2 different HAs there and I coudn’t get them to work for me. Thanks though!

Tbh I wouldn’t feel right about doing that but thanks for the suggestion

Nobody told me this. I keep seeing people say they’re trialing a pair. When I went to my AuD she didn’t mention a trail period so I wanted to know if there was a law but it sounds like there isn’t. Calling around to find out if this is standard practice though would be good info to have. Thanks!

I understand.

Do you live close enough to the state line to continue to use an audiologist in the next state if you stick with the hearing aid of your choice after the trial period? It’s not like you see your Audi once a week or even once a month. It might be 1-3 times per year after you’re set up.

You should also check the websites of the hearing aid companies you’re considering. Sometimes the manufacturer themselves offer a free trial period. Even in NJ, an Audi would have to go along with that. One such example would be hear.com, which is an outlet for Signia. With offices all over the country. They advertise a free trial period.

There are also on-line distributors like ZipHearing and Hearing Revolution. They sell hearing aids at a discount and set you up with an audiologist in your area to do the fitting and provide ongoing service. They too advertise a free trial period.