Is Costco an option?

Just had my hearing checked. My loss is rated at moderate to moderately severe. Two audiologist recommended aids in the $7600+ range. Yikes! I’d like to try Costco first. Thoughts?

3 Likes

Read the forum, there are many posts on this.

WH

7 Likes

I started buying hearing aids at Costco about 12 years ago because the prices were so much lower than at private audiologists and the service seemed the same or better. If you do a search of this site you will find many threads on Costco, most of them positive.

5 Likes

Based on the replies, my hearing loss shouldn’t be an issue at Costco. Thanks

5 Likes

Here is an extract for your information, CR M/J 2023:

4 Likes

Absolutely! After paying thousands of dollars at audiologists for some years, I moved, and was then closer to a Costco. What a difference for the better. The Hearing Aid Center at Costco is well known for offering quality (friendly) service, dependable up-to-date, affordable products (3 brands, at present), and free follow-ups on everything. I have helped 3 of my neighbors get first-time hearing aids there. They are very satisfied. You can’t beat Costco for ear care!

12 Likes

I recently had to revisit this topic as someone asked me about my HA, and Costco versus an audiology practice.

Everything you’ll see and read of users’ experiences, positive and negative, are anecdotal. (That’s why I’m not even sharing mine with you.) Same applies to the YouTube talking heads’ witch trials of Costco. The CR report posted above was survey '21-22, 2 years old and Costco offering have since discontinued their price/performance king Kirkland brand models. The CR ranking is only against other chain centers, not ENT/Audiology practices. And it’s a survey, not an empirical valuation of how well they’re actually doing.

The best thing you can do is be as informed as possible as you start shopping for a HA. They’re not consumer devices, buy and forget. They’re medical devices that come with social and psychological implications for good or bad given the skill of the provider. They’re as personable as buying shoes, your needs and wants are as important as fit, including your wallet. On cost of Costco models versus practice models, typically the prices range down to Costco level for practice brands… somewhat leveling that playing field. There also some notable performance features from practice brands/models where manufacturers channel newly developed technologies… then benefit of which will vary person to person.

If you really like Costco prices (who wouldn’t?) start there. Take trial periods seriously, be a demanding customer… if they’re not really helping, loose, chafing, to hard to put in… anything, get them adjusted, try different models, brands, and if necessary, a different practice.

4 Likes

A good book to read if you are new to hearing loss is:
“Hearing Loss for Dummies”

1 Like

user715 - I decided to do just that at Costco. The first audiologist I selected was mainly for custom ear plugs. I often ride a motorcycle and the wind noise was a bit too much, even with a helmet on. The hearing test results and their recommendations surprised me. My appointment at Costco is Sunday, go figure.

6 Likes

Costco is certainly an option. At my store, at least, they are not equipped to remove earwax. I had a lot of wax in one ear, and my tester/fitter (who saw the wax sitting on my eardrum) was irritated that my hearing test results looked pretty bad in that ear. I had done nothing that should have irritated her, except that I was having a lot of trouble hearing - the reason I was there. She gave me the results and told me to go to an ENT and get a CT scan and even suggested I have dementia. Hearing loss can lead to dementia, yes, but my memory is strong.

I went to an ENT, where the PA removed my earwax and had me retested to get accurate results. Yes, I need hearing aids, but no one there told me that I have dementia.

Whether it is Costco, an ENT office, or elsewhere, no one should be irritated with you over your hearing loss. You came to them for help. If you are mistreated anywhere, just go somewhere else.

3 Likes

Yes. An excellent option.

Let us know how Costco works out for you. Remember you have options there. Re-visit until you are satisfied with the model chosen and the fit/hearing. No extra charges for followups!

3 Likes

Sweet. Let us know how it went. We’re all rooting for you!

So I did this. I only Spent $4000 the first time BUT what a waste! Seriously the Costco aides were Better and easier to use. AND cost about 1/4 of the price. I Highly recommend Costco both their hearing aides and their Audiology department. I have had nothing but great success there. I also like their eye center.

8 Likes

3 years in to my Costco buying and service experience. Excellent on every aspect. 5 Stars

4 Likes

I purchased my first ITE aids from an Audi at age 48. Probably should have been wearing them in my late 30’s. After five years, the mold cracked on one and the Audi suggested an upgrade rather than repair. The new aids simply put were a disaster. Music was incredibly choppy. Factory contact said this is how HAs work. After a long online search, several HA wearing musicians suggested Costco. I returned the aids to the Audi after trialing a Costco pair in store with my guitar. They worked well and were 25% of the Audi cost. Since then, I have bought two additional pair upgrades, and gotten help at Costco locations in FL, Il, and TN. Four family members who were very dissatisfied with their Audi’s and Sam’s Club aids, all went to Costco after having paid four times elsewhere and were fitted successfully. I’ve probably recommended Costco to an additional ten individuals, all who thank me profusely. One person tried but returned to her Audi because of her unique situation of being born deaf in one ear. I believe my own, my family, my friends and my acquaintances experiences are not unique or coincidental. My question is, why would you not use Costco?

3 Likes

Harlan I’ve had 3 hearing tests in the last two weeks, one from an audi and 2 from HIS professionals. The first two tests had almost identical audiograms, the last one was a bit different.

The audiologist started nickel and diming me almost from the get go. So I went for a second opinion at Miracle-Ear. The hearing test was free and the service was great but their aids were still expensive. A trip to Costco was next.

The Costco professional did not check my ears, the audiogram was different and he didn’t like Philips HAs which was my initial choice. But, I went with Costco anyway and their Rexton devices. Fitting is tomorrow.

3 Likes

A new consideration is that some insurers have or will begin to cover some of the costs of aids. I have Kaiser and apparently this is happening. So non-costco prices may be effectively falling to Costco levels or more. Which presents me with a dilly of a dilemma: I really like my independent provider! And I can get in for an appt. within a week. But Kaiser will doubtless only cover their own in-house brands and services, which are very good. Kaiser is close to me but my private provider is closer.
If I can save a couple of thousand with Kaiser I’ll go that route next time. Their audis are certified, experienced and very good. And they tend to stick around, so one can form a history with them.

edit I should have pointed out that my independent provider is not Costco.

2 Likes

Good wishes in finding the right vendor and aid. Take advantage of a six month trial period. Part of adapting is retraining your brain to the new sounds. I found this true even with my latest set which were Kirkland 10s. Also, were I to get rechargeable aids again, I would take advantage of a Forum tip and get the tele coil version but only for the bigger battery for streaming music, YouTube videos and phone calls.

Also, my younger Sister who is buying her third pair of aids did not like the Phillips on a trial. My best friend however is happy and they both upgraded from KS 9s. We’re all a little different I guess.

1 Like