Is Costco an option for youth under 18?

My 16 year old grandchild is in need of hearing aids with bilateral mild to moderate loss in both ears. On my recommendation, her mother called the local Costco to see about hearing aid options (the 16 year old wants CIC or nothing) and was told that they do not fit youth under 18. I have checked Costco’s Hearing-aid website and there is no mention of age requirements, and a phone call to corporate customer service gets lost in the ether. Does anybody here know if Costco has a corporate policy regarding hearing aids for youth, or is this a local store policy?

Pretty sure it’s a Costco wide policy to not accept pediatric patients (less than 18 yo) Their hearing assessment form that’s online rejects anybody less than 18 by saying that the form is intended for use for those 18 and above. You could try calling another Costco hearing aid center to confirm.
If your grandchild has already seen an audiologist and there were no red flags, it might be possible to consider OTC hearing aids although I don’t think they’re recommended for those less than 18.

She needs to see a pediatric audiologist. Someone who will communicate with the school, with the educational audiologist, who will support her transition to university, etc. Costco won’t do this.

CIC is a bad choice for her. Certainly it’s better than nothing (if it will even fit in her ear), but she really needs to at least investigate the pros and cons of other options.

6 Likes

You need to see a an audiologist for folks under 18 years of age here in Washington state and probably everywhere else. I believe it’s the law.

There is probably an underlying medical issue when folks under 18 have hearing problems. So that’s where an audiologist or ENT comes in play.

Since Costco doesn’t hire audiologists normally, they hire two year technicians. They can’t provide hearing aids.

You might try buying some over-the-counter hearing aids. Jabra sells them them online.

Just make sure your grandchild is under the care of a medical professional if there is some underlying medical issue.

MDB, Thanks for the response. I have seen that same limitation on most other on-line hearing assessment sites and just figured it was a CYA statement because they are capturing data from a minor; in any event, her mother has found a contact within Costco corporate that she is going to contact on Monday.

1 Like

Neville, that sounds like pretty good advice and I will pass your comments along to her mother. Thanks!

2 Likes

User99, Another good response! I’ll pass it along to her mother. I’m thinking Costco is not a viable solution for her. Thanks!

You should check to see if it’s covered under her health insurance. Normally children have covereage for HAs in TX where adults often do not.

1 Like

Boston, Great catch!!! Thanks!

Here is the section of Texas Statutes that addresses the question.

1 Like

I think you will find that licensing requirements in most, if not all, States restrict the treatment of hearing loss in minors to degreed and licensed Audiologists.