iPhone vs Android

I installed the nRF Connect app, as mentioned in the article linked a few posts up. I have a Pixel 2 XL running Android Pie. This is what it shows:

Most of the boxes are ticked.

I am beginning to appreciate the differences between various android devices. My phone has Oreo, my zenpad has marshmallow. I believe Galaxy Tab A also uses oreo, but Samsung puts their own spin on it. (My sweet tooth is acting up now.) They all operate just alittle bit differently from each other. But so far they all play nice with Phonak.

Interesting article: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/02/guidemaster-the-best-android-phones-from-budget-to-flagships/

3 Likes

I switched from the Samsung to an IPhone a year ago. Only two weeks to find out I hated it. Switched back to Samsung 9, and love it. Especially since the Live Transcribe works so great!!

Tana

Well said, my own and my wife daily drivers are iPhones, because in her words “ they just works with minimal attention “. But, I am an it field tech and choose android for my “work phone” because I can customize with the apps I need for my work even when my work phone is really locked down by company policies
I like them both but I am not a fanatic of either

Both android phones and iphones work with “minimal attention”. They are different, but neither is easier to use than the other. I would argue that having a back button makes android more obvious to use than ios.

1 Like

Samsung S9+ here. It passed the water test with B+ grade. I left it in the pocket of my carpenter jeans - they have a handy tool pocket on one of the legs. To my amazement the phone still worked after a bulky setting with hot water.

No, I didn’t pop the phone in dryer after that :slight_smile: One slight damage was the nice black paint on the bezel was in lousy shape. Also a scratched screen. Still works ok, but maybe a bit too much tech for me.

I was considering moving to iOS on my next phone because from what I’ve gathered any dummy can run iOS.

Google and Qualcomm must be feeling the heat from Apple… Google and Qualcomm announce from Android 11 forward, Android devices will be supported with OS updates for FOUR YEARS.

Still a distant second to Apple. My iPhone 6S that I’m using to test whether I want to desert Android for Apple will have been effectively supported by Apple for SIX YEARS by the time it reaches its end of support life in fall, 2021 (from fall, 2015).

Google, Qualcomm Moving to Four Years of Android Support - Thurrott.com :+1:

Nice to hear. I suspect 4 years covers mot people’s phone purchase cycles. I’m not sure I believe that last line. It sounds like ALL Android phones would get 4 years of support. That’s a huge change from many phonemakers current policies. Even OnePlus who used to consitently offer 3 years, cut it back to 2 (maybe less) for some of their newer, less expensive devices.

Good point on whether it will really hold true for ALL Android phones going forward - will undoubtedly be up to manufacturers to decide, if they use a customized version of Android, that they don’t do anything that ruins the four years that Qualcomm and Google are guaranteeing for stock versions of Android running on stock Qualcomm chips going forward. I bought a ~$1,000 Galaxy Note 8 in 2017 and only got 2 Android updates out of it because Samsung has ~almost always shipped its Note devices with last year’s version of Android running on a newly released Note device and not updated the Android version for ~6 months after the phone’s release - whereas you typically buy Apple and get the latest version of iOS with your brand new iPhone, etc. This is a step toward Google getting its act together but on Windows Weekly, Thurrott has described the state of Google’s management of Android and associated parts as something like one big mess…

This gives a somewhat different take: Google, Qualcomm make it easier to update Android phones with Snapdragon chips - Android Authority

And another take that suggests not really much of anything is changing: Google's big "four year" Android update promise is a little misleading — here's why

This will not apply to ALL android phones. The article is about android phones with a qualcomm snapdragon 888. I’m a long term android user and I’ve also had an iphone for the past 3 years. Android fragmentation has been a major problem literally since Android was introduced. Several years ago, Google introduced “project treble” along with android 8, but incredibly, they didn’t make it mandatory, even for new releases. As a result, project treble hasn’t done much to reduce fragmentation. Google used to host the android development dashboard, which showed the distribution of the various versions of android. They stopped maintaining the dashboard and now the information is no longer easily available from Google. I take that as Google’s admission that project treble was a failure. There are a lot of things I don’t about Apple / iOS, but fragmentation is not one of them.

Perhaps the most assured thing is that at least if you buy a Google Pixel phone, you’ll get it updated for 4 years.

1 Like

Minor observation to add here. One thing that I think Android does better than iOS is to warn you when the effective volume of the ringer/notifications setting on your phone might be high enough to hurt your ears.

Under Settings, Sounds, iOS does have HEARING SAFETY. When I’m wearing my HA’s, I turn it on to not get blasted in my ears. When I go to sleep and take myHA’s out and want to be sure I can hear my iPhone 6S ring, I turn off Hearing Safety and turn the phone ringer up to max (I’m a sound sleeper and need a ringing tone to wake the dead to rouse me out of sleep! - as a graduate student, I once slept through construction workers jackhammering a few doors down the hall from my dorm room, amazing all living nearby who couldn’t think straight for the terribly loud noise).

The problem is when I wake up and put my HA’s back in, I often fail to turn Hearing Safety back on and get blasted by the iPhone volume. Since I am effectively streaming when I do that, iOS ought to have a streaming volume warning that pops up and tells you that you’re at a hazardous volume level. With my Android phone running Android Pie, I’ve only ever streamed through the Phone Clip+ but whenever I have an excessive phone volume, a warning notification will pop up and I can’t remember ever accidentally blasting my ears.

I wonder if someone kind enough to give me some advice?
I recently got a Phonak Naida Paradise P90 for my brother and I am wondering which one I should get him, an iPhone or an Android!
He’s got an Andoird Samsung S7 Edge at the moment, but I think it is time to get him a new one.
Not sure which one works well with HA, he’s got Oticon Agil Pro with the streamer Pro (I believe 1.3) and soon he will have the Naida P90.
From what I’ve understood from this forum, is that iPhone works better with HA than Android, not sure if this statement is correct, could someone give us some feedback?
Thx

The Paradise aids has classic Bluetooth so either should work the same.

2 Likes

My paradise P90R works flawlessly with Android. ( Samsung Galaxy 21). I have no experience with iPhone but I do use an iPad a lot…it should work the same.

3 Likes

If he’s used to and likes Android, get him Android.

4 Likes

anyone used ios 15.2 with spatial hearing boost how it is working for hearing loss people and live listen ?