iPhone vs Android

There are basically two kinds of people. Apple people, and everyone else. I have never had a cellphone that I actually liked. I have owned a bunch of them. I had an iPhone once. I ordered it off eBay for my wife and when she saw that it wasn’t new, refused it. I used it for a while. At first, I thought it was a pretty good phone. My main issue was with the iTunes software that I was forced to use with it. I absolutely hated it and removed it pretty fast. I understand that there are alternatives now. After a while, I began to like the iPhone less and less. I ended up getting my wife to take it and she used it for a while. I currently have some sort of LG Android phone. I decided that since I would never find a phone I would like, I would just use this one and put up with it. I am not a fan of Android. I won’t ever buy anything Apple because of their business practices, and I just don’t really care for Apple’s way of doing things PC and phone wise. I don’t want to stream my phone calls to my hearing aids. Tried it once and didn’t like it. Our society today practically forces one to pick a side in almost everything and defend it with religious zeal. I personally don’t buy into that. If you like Apple, and a lot of folks do, then by all means go that way. But please don’t put others down who might think differently.

4 Likes

Thank you.
I am an old Unix admin so of course, a phone based on the toy OS Linux (kidding) attracted me to Android and Apple prices helped direct too.

I realized I could not find a phone based on Sun Solaris, HP HP-UX or SGI IRIX :smiley:

2 Likes

@John_Green iTunes software has not been needed for the iPhone in many years. The iPhone syncs to Apple’s free iCloud Internet service.

iTumes is for Apple Music & video services which are not needed on the iPhone. They are optional subscriptions.

3 Likes

I still have my Tungsten T2. Keep it for nostalgia’s sake. Had a pile of apps on that thing too. I’ve always pushed these devices to their limits. It was on the PalmOS that I discovered the fitaly keyboard. I mourned the loss of it when I moved to Android. Recently, I was able to construct my own. It is a much better way to enter text with one finger.
I had a folding keyboard that folded like a “W” rather than folding in half like today’s folding keyboards. It was far superior to anything on the market today.
As technology moves forward, I often feel like I’m losing things that really shouldn’t be lost. :frowning_face:

I had a Samsung Palm flip phone from Sprint. Loved it. Then CDMA got retired by my carrier. Then I learned about hotspot and got a little LG Android. Then Blackberry came out with their phone and I had to have that.
Amongst many other phones since the Motorola brick.

3 Likes

My wife once had a Samsung flip phone and she too really loved it. She still talks about it to this day. Then we both got Sanyo Katanas. We had those phones for 7 years, and for 7 years she talked about how much she missed her Samsung. When we decided to make the jump to smartphones, I was sure I wanted Android, and she was sure she wanted Samsung. She got the Note 2 for the stylus, I got the S3. Now we both have Note 5s and the stylus really is great. Wouldn’t want to be without it. Which I guess brings me back to my main point. Even with all of the problems I’ve faced over the last 3 years, I still prefer Android.

Well said. I’ve been a Mac user since the early 90’s. I will go to my grave before changing to Windoze. I have a load of Apple stock. I did have the very first iPhone. I will never have another phone other than an Android.

1 Like

I refuse to spend $1200 for an iphone. I work at a location that fixes iPhones. On average we see 2-3 per day to have batteries or screens replaced
If you own a new iPhone Xs you can expect to shell out $500 to have it fixed.
I am Android forever.

1 Like

My wife has an iPhone SE, because she wanted a smaller phone, and these are pretty cheap. I have an iPod touch, and while I got an immense amount of use from it, after winning it in a drawing, I learned quickly to hate the Apple software and app dictatorship. I downloaded a Wi-Fi finder app soon after I got the iPod. It worked great, and I needed it, because as a truck driver, I needed to be able to get online with it. Then, one week, it was suddenly gone. No notice. It just wasn’t on the iPod screen any more. Come to find out the developers had a falling out with Apple, and Apple jerked their app off the store.

Whatever purpose you may use an iPhone for, keep in mind that Apple can force any app or software feature off the device any time they decide they don’t like it, and they owe you no explanation. How would you like waking up one morning and finding out that your hearing aid connectivity no longer worked?

1 Like

Apple did move forward and took on the challenge of addressing hearing loss by baking hearing aid connectivity into the iOS software. While this no doubt had business potential, I appreciate the effort. It’s made my hearing loss less of a disability and given me back more control and enjoyment in my life. I think it’s pretty cool apple did this.

4 Likes

Yes and the only reason I switched to the iPhone. I have the Oticon OPN1 aids and I love not needing a streamer or any other connections. I also have the Apple Watch and I enjoy using it as my remote control

2 Likes

It’s kinda funny. I find Apple products difficult to use as they never seem to do what I expect in the way I expect them to. But I am seriously tempted to get an iPhone as my next phone simply because of the HA connectivity options. I know Google and Resound have announced something but to be honest, I don’t expect it to come to fruition any time soon.

I know Google and Resound have announced something but to be honest, I don’t expect it to come to fruition any time soon.

It may happen sooner now that Phonak has set the bar.

1 Like

Yes leccy…Phonak is now…not “any time soon”.

1 Like

Well, what’s funny about that is that the Note 9 is $1000. $1250 for the 500GB version. Although deals can usually be found. Not only am I a diehard Android fan, but also a devoted Note fan. The S-Pen is awesome. We passed on the Note 9, but will most likely get the 10. We’re already saving for them.

Had that happen with an app on the Play Store once. Something about Google felt like this app was a competitor of some sort.

No problem. Enable side-loading, find the app on another app store, and away we go.

I am old fashion. I still use my Samsung flip phone. I am retired, I have texting turned off as I want to hear who I am talking with. It works great with my Phonak UPs

3 Likes

That works on Android. Not on Apple.

Yea, that was exactly my point. It’s one of the reasons for my devotion to Android.

I have an app to monitor my battery usage. It used to be able to track usage per app, but Google took that ability away. Sort of. The developer gives instructions on how to access the developer option on the phone, and through the PC issue a command line permission grant. Woo hoo! That’s just one more reason I can’t give up on Android.