iPhone update to 16.1 won't make bluetooth connection

I have a pair of Phonak Marvels and am very happy with them. I had not had the bluetooth connection or the rechargeable batteries and am amazed at the difference. The frequency shift is a big improvement although the lisping is a little amusing. The bluetooth connection to the phone is a game changer. I was avoiding phone calls because it was so difficult to hear. Some rather serious miscommunications occurred. Now the conversations are clear and easy. Which brings me to the problem at hand. After updating my new iPhone SE to IOS 16.1 I had no bluetooth connection and the app could not pair with the aids. Has anyone had similar experience? Does Phonak usually have an update to their app the this occurs? Thanks for any thoughts.

Delete paring and repair…….

1 Like

First thought is to forget the aids and remove the Phonak app from your phone.
Boot the phone and then reload the app and pair
the aids.
Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

Raudrive, that was my first reaction but the app can’t find the aids for the pairing. When I first got the aids it took about a week of just that sort of maneuvers to get a solid connection but it has been 3 months of no problems till this IOS upgrade. Went through the IOS16 upgrade without a hiccup even tho there were problems reported. Great forum! thanks

1 Like

Frustrated with modern hearing aid technology

I just want to go back to the good old days when hearing aids were just that hearing aids. No stress or worry about connectivity or rechargeable batteries. Any none of the nonsense of counting steps or any other nonsense that can cause failure.
I am tired of worrying about connectivity or if the batteries are going to last a full day if I stream my audiobook, podcast, or TV. I yearn for the days of just changing my batteries and continuing on with life.
I love not having any extra programs to worry about, hearing aid’s should just work. With no need to stop and thing about an app or what program I am using for what environment.
Am tried of hearing aids controlling my time, they should just allow me the go about my day without even thinking about them.

3 Likes

The phone should find the aids.
The phone should find the app.
Not an expert, just thinking out loud.

2 Likes

Well said!
I totally agree.

1 Like

In case you haven’t tried this… are you rebooting the aids before commencing the pairing?

1 Like

Then don’t pair the aids to your phone or anything else. Problem solved.

1 Like

Then the stupid batteries drain even faster trying to connect to devices, it isn’t that simple. I have had the issue of leaving home without the phone and wondering why my hearing aid batteries were draining so fast. So no it isn’t that simple

Delete the pairings. I can’t speak to all aids, but all the ones I’m familiar with are only available for pairing for a short time after reboot. Same with many other devices. If you wait to long then they won’t connect even if you want them to. As for extra programs you don’t want, ask your audio to delete everything except one. How possible that is depends on the fitting software. Might even be able to turn off some wireless capabilities of the aids while he’s at it.

No one gets the real frustration! Which is stop put beta devices out and forcing the ones of us that can’t live without hearing aids to have to pay to be the beta testers. For me beta testing was fun when I had hardware that I didn’t have to depend on.

Dusty, good suggestions all, but as I said, I went through this in great detail when I first got the aids. No harm in a reminder. Thanks
cvkemp, I had the old style hearing aids and my hearing loss just got too great for them to be useful. If it wasn’t for these technologies I wouldn’t be hearing as well as I do. It sure will be nice when they work a little more invisibly!

Maybe try connecting the phone to other BT devices to verify that works. Can’t think of much else that’s easy to try. The fitting software has a function to delete all pairings (device options/BT/delete pairing), you could try that at the audi or do it yourself if you’re into DIY. If there’s a button combo on the aids that does the same thing I can’t remember anyone mentioning it.

1 Like

I do! And I think you could help yourself a lot if you don’t need or want all the features. Beyond that you could buy a 53 Chevy pickup and move to Mayberry. :slight_smile:

Personally I would love to have my 57 Chevy back. And I don’t have to pay for my hearing aids

53 Chevy, man that’s a nice ride.
Not sure about Mayberry though.

1 Like

Hoping this 62 GMC ends up in my garage.
It has a 96 Buick Roadmaster complete drivetrain and frame under it.
Very cool.

2 Likes

My grandson adorning the hood of a 59 Chevy. This pickup also has a frame/drivetrain conversion with a 95 Buick Roadmaster.

That boy on the hood is a big reason why I got cochlear implants.

Sorry to get off topic.

3 Likes

Did that used to be light blue? Looks like the one I learned to drive in at about 14. No lessons, just watched another kid driving it. His grandpa’s farm truck.

1 Like