Iphone microphone not working correctly when streaming a call to hearing aids. Other person can't hear me

I have Costco Jabra pm pro10, which I gather may be Resound Omnia by another name. Iphone15 with IOS17. If I answer a call it automatically goes to my hearing aids, but the caller can barely hear me. If I switch the call audio to speakerphone or standard iphone mode, they can hear me fine. I think that proves the microphone works, but is not activating correctly when I’m on a call.
For a test, I called another phone and left a voice-mail message. During the message, I switched the audio source from speakerphone, to HA’s, and then to iphone. When playing back the message, the voice is loud and clear when using iphone or speakerphone, but drops to a very low level when audio is set to HA’s. It was working better in the past so am wondering if the IOS update caused it to stop working. Any suggestions?

1 Like

Is it using the HA Mic to pick up your voice? That would explain why.

@david.hendon i believes has the Omnias.

1 Like

I always thought it picked up the Iphone mic when streaming a call. How would I verify which mic it is. Also can’t figure out why it used to work but then changed.
I have RIE, not M&RIE (do not have microphone in ear)

Simple Google search says yes hands free calling.

Just rub your HA Mic and iPhone Mic to work out which mic it’s using.

M&RIC is nothing to do with Bluetooth.

As @Zebras says, I have Omnias and I use an iPhone 12 Pro with IOS 17.1.1.

There are two ways to answer an incoming call and the results may be different.

The obvious way is to accept the call on the iPhone screen. I believe that in this case the system uses the iPhone microphone. Another way is to briefly press the button on the top of one hearing aid and in that case the system uses your hearing aid microphones instead of the iPhone microphone.

I got my wife to ring me while I tried the two different ways of answering the phone and also I tried leaving the phone out of my hearing but still in Bluetooth range. Answering the phone by pressing the button on one aid confirmed that the phone microphone was not being used.

Anyway my wife reckons I sounded the same loudness and the same speech quality between the two methods. So I think we can conclude that this works with iPhone 12 Pro and IOS 17.

I know there are some glitches with Bluetooth and the iPhone 15 Pro, but I understood that the ordinary iPhone 15 was ok. Not sure what else I can say by way of comment, except to look out for IOS 17.1.2 and/or IOS 17.2 both of which should release soon.

Go into the hearing devices screen via triple-click or Control Center “ear” icon when you’re NOT streaming nor on a call nor displaying a web page. Is there a “Mic Input” field shown? If so then Omnia is presumably like Oticon More or Real, with mic use on calls controlled by that field. “On” is hearing aid mics, “Off” is iPhone mic.

You can change routing to your hearing aids or not, but there is no routing control for the microphone. In any case both work equally well as I explained in my post.

Thanks for this suggestion. It is definately only picking up the HA microphones. Sound quality through HA mics is not usable for business calls, so I always have to use speaker phone until I get this figured out.
I only ever answer calls from the iphone screen, never from the HA buttons.
I think voice was always picked up the iphone mic before this, so trying to fugure out why it changed. How do I change it back to use iphone mic? The voice picked up by the HA mics is very low level and hard to hear unless I speak VERY Loudly.

I paired HA’s to a second iphone also running IOS17.1.1 and same result as above.

The I Deleted the Jabra Enhance Pro App, and tried again. It does still always pick up the HA mics when in hearing aid mode, but the sound is much better. This is usable, with only the iphone functions, I just can’t make some of the adjustments that the app allows.

While on the phone topic, I thought i would mention another capability: I got my first ever HA pair yesterday, the Jabra Enhance Pro 20.

The HCP said that I could answer a phone call by merely “double tapping” either one of the HAs OR by simply doubletapping either ear. I am still too used to pressing the iPhone “answer” button so have not remembered to try that.

But another important point: I have the version “Xs” iPhone, which will NOT support “Hands free” (You need version Eleven iPhone or higher to do so), so I think this means I can only terminate a call using the iPhone button.

Right now, set up as the HCP set up the Pro 20, I hear a comfortable volume level on any Bluetooth phone call, and apparently also transmit a comfortable level that the person on the other end has no trouble hearing.

Jim G

Just for anyone interested, the double tap works with the Resound Nexia (which is what the Jabra Enhance Pro 20 is) but not the Omnia (ie the Jabra Enhance Pro 10) because the Nexia has an accelerometer inside the aid to detect the taps. The Omnia can do the same thing, but you use the button on either aid rather than tap the aid.

I am not surprised that the iPhone XS won’t support this though. There are five newer annual generations of iPhone since the XS!

Yes, but I am NOT the kind of person who wants to spend a lot of money each year just to get the latest “features”. When I was working self employed, that was somewhat important to meet client needs. But in retirement, not so much.

Jim G

Fair enough. But you can’t then be surprised if a phone from 2018 doesn’t support a new user feature introduced in 2023.

1 Like

you should check with the audiologist if the new firmware for the hearing aid has arrived. The iPhone has been upgraded to a new version, and maybe the hearing aid needs to be upgraded along the way for this feature to work.

If you have an iPhone then you can check in the Resound Smart 3D app and that both tells you your current firmware version of your hearing aids and whether a new version is available. If there is a new version available then you can install it yourself in the app. No doubt the Jabra app is the same.

This may also work with Android - I don’t know.

1 Like

Guys, my Jabra Enhance Pro 20 hAs are brand new - the model JUST came out, so no firmware updates required.

Jim G

I am NOT looking for the new LE Bluetooth feature. Just the basic “old” Bluetooth. I just would have liked to be able to use my HAs, instead of earphones, when watching instructional videos on my MacBook Air with the M1 chip.

Jim G

I was referring to the double tap on the hearing aid to answer the phone feature which you were commenting didn’t work on your iPhone XS.

Having read this up a bit more, I don’t think you will be able to pair any MfI hearing aids to your MacBook Air M1, this post in MacRumours explains.

Anyway I was only trying to help, but I will leave you to it.

THANK-YOU! I get it now. Well, it was worth asking.

Jim G

1 Like