iOS/ iPhone MFi Live Listen External Mic

Made for iPhone hearing aids can use iPhone as remote mic (Live Listen). This is done using the built-in mic of iPhone. Has anyone tried using an external mic ( i.e external audio source fed into iPhone) to use iPhone remote mic feature as a bridge between e.g. a TV or a laptop? Is it technically feasible?

2 Likes

Yes, but sound quality isn’t the best

external mic is best you can use it as remote control
you can use it as to mute HA microphone if you streaming from phone
can revert back to mic+ streaming if using as distance talk if needed
due to above duo feature superier than live listen

This is a bit off the topic but wondering if you might know of a bluetooth lapel type mic I could use with my made for iPhone hearing aids so I don’t need to hold the phone. A lightning attached lapel mic would be ok too I suppose.

I don’t think a Bluetooth Mic would work. The Mic would have to plug into the iPhone. I’m not 100% you can even do that, but I bought this Mic for my Phonak Compilot 2. It plugs into the Compilot 2 (with an adapter, which you would not need for the iphone). It works great. I keep the Compilot 2 under my shirt. Callers say it sounds like a normal handset, not a speakerphone.

Ultimate Lavalier Microphone For… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074KJ1N3D?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

I am unable to use the external microphone input on an iPhone 6 Plus with Live Listen. I can use the external input with other apps and also feed them to a Bluetooth connected speaker, but not my Bluetooth paired hearing aids. The internal mic picks up sound fine and feeds it to my hearing aids using Live Listen. Any suggestions on how to make Live Listen work with an external mic? If not, can you suggest an app which will accept an external mic and feed it to my hearing aids? I have tried several and they will feed the mic to my Bluetooth speakers, but not my hearing aids.