iOS connection problems

I’m new to hearing aids and am using Philips 9040s purchased from Costco.

I see on the forum that a number of people have connection problems when they have more than one Apple device, e.g., a phone and an iPad. That’s my problem: if my iPad is nowhere close, the connection to my phone is pretty much flawless, but if I sit in front of my iPad, the devices connect to my iPad and simply won’t reconnect to my phone. I know this is supposed to be automatic, but it isn’t. In some cases, I have had to turn everything off, leave the iPad off, and restart and repair the phone and aids.

I have nearly zero interest in connecting my iPad and didn’t set up the aids on that device. Apple transferred the information from my iPhone.

What I am wondering is whether I can tell my iPad to “ignore this device” without in affecting the phone. That is, just as iOS transferred the setup from my phone to my iPad, I’m concerned that it will transfer the “forget this device” in the opposite direction, doing it on the phone.

Anyone know what would happen?

thanks.

I don’t know Apple products but if you don’t use Bluetooth on your iPad I’d just turn Bluetooth off. That ought to do it.

5 Likes

I agree with @MDB. I have my HAs paired with 3 apple devices (personal cell, work cell and an iPad). 95% of the time I leave the bluetooth turned on on my personal iPhone, and leave the bluetooth turned off on the other two devices(I leave them paired because there are occasions when I do what them to stream to my HAs). I fortunately have NO connection issues as long as the bluetooth is only turned on on 1 device. This works for me because I really don’t use the other two devices for anything that requires bluetooth.

Having said that, you should be able to just ‘forget’ your hearing aids on your iPad. But mine didn’t automatically pair my HAs once I paired with the first device so I can’t say for certain there is not a setting somewhere that you have turned on.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I do use bluetooth on my iPad for a number of other things. That will be my fallback–turning off bluetooth most of the time but turning it back on when I need it. However, I would have to do something to avoid having the HAs connect when I turn bluetooth back on on the iPad. My preferred option would be to have bluetooth on but the MFI connection off.

@newbie2 It is definitely possible to have your HAs connected to your iPhone but not your iPad. I had these HAs for months and had them only connected to my personal iPhone. I traveled by plane for the first time about 2-3 months after I got them and that was the first time I paired them to my iPad (so I could watch a movie on the plane). So there is definitely no reason that you can not remove them from your iPad altogether if you ‘forget’ them from that device. But if you say you never paired them in the first place it seems as if you have some setting that I have never heard of turned on. If I was you I would forget them from the iPad. Worst thing that could happen is you have to pair them to your phone again (I doubt this will happen but you never know).

Solved. For HAs like the Philips that use the Made for iPhone connection, pairing isn’t done on the Bluetooth settings page on Apple devices. It’s done on the hearing devices pages under Accessibility. I went to Accessibility and told the iPad to ignore the HAs. It now does ignore them, even though Bluetooth is still turned on. And the HAs still connect fine with the iPhone. From what I have read, the iPad should continue to ignore the HAs until I put them in pairing mode near the iPad.

5 Likes