Intermittent problem charging KS10's

You absolutely correct. Very well explained, this is what a lot of people are experiencing. Manufacture needs to address this issue.

The manufacturer is addressing the issue, sonova put out a press release about this issue with Costco, hopefully everything will get sorted out.

@Dusty
That’s exactly what I experienced as well. Maybe 3 times the last 3 months.
@tenkan
Where did you see this press release? Was it describing the issue in detail or are you referring to the general press release from about 1 month ago?

Yeah it was the one released just last month, I really don’t think sonova will reach out to any of us to let us know the actual details, could be one of those things that they’ll try and sweep under the carpet, we may have to wait for a 3rd party to get any true insight.

Ok, thank you @tenkan.

Maybe it can be solved via the HA firmware (charging procedure).

But I don’t think so, if this is the real reason for the separation from Costco.

I can live with it now that I know how to deal with it.

(green flashing when inserted into the charger)

Since then, my Costco HIS said the Sonova separation we cause of Sonova’s mishandling of this situation,

I searched for press release, could not find it. Could you allude to what it said. I believe their should be some rumbling of a class suit concerning this issue.

Think I found it:

2 Likes

How is that addressing the issue of the charging problem, it’s a press release saying they are running away from the problem. This is not a Costco problem, it’s a manufacturer problem. Costco tried to use leverage, and they ran.

1 Like

Yeah well that’s the thing, we just don’t know exactly what the situation is, I’m pretty sure sonova will just try to move on, the Paradise and Lumity are still selling so who knows…

2 Likes

Anyone who’s had this issue and gone back to Costco - what was the process? Was it a straight swap of HAs or did you have to turn in the faulty aids and get them repaired?

My right HA now requires some careful positioning in the charger to stay charging. The hard reset advice makes no difference - think there’s an issue with the contacts. Left seems to be working fine and both sockets work (the left HA charges in either)

I had the issue, went back to Costco and they needed to send them away for repair (and the charger too). All were replaced.

In the meantime, I bought the Phonak charger. Never had an issue with the Phonak charger and KS10s, but I don’t use them all the time at the moment as I prefer my old Phonak Q90s.

1 Like

Interesting - I’d have thought you’d just get factory fresh replacements. I await Costco’s phone call…

They said they were being sent for repair, but what that actually meant I can’t be sure. You would think they would just replace them and maybe they did. I did have to go without them for a week or so as they did not provide immediate replacement. But that was no issue for me as I just went back to my old HAs.

Have you tried the phonak Marvel charger? You can find them on eBay for around $20.

2 Likes

I hadn’t thought of this but I’ll take a look. Awaiting Costco’s response to my enquiry yesterday.

Ironically I’ve managed 2 days out of 2 getting them charged!

I have two Marvel travel chargers left over. KS10s fit in them well, possibly a bit tighter to remove than the Marvels. Voltage on the pins seems identical to the KS10 charger.

2 Likes

It seems Phonak/Kirkland has fixed the charging issues. The fix appears to be to send your KS10’s back, along with the charger, and they will send you a new/fixed set of aids that have been matched to the charger. Mine are currently going through that process and in the interim, Costco has loaned me a set of aids, programmed with my program, along with a matched charger, and for the last week it has performed flawlessly. Now to see if mine do the same when they return.

1 Like

Sending them back was of course always what was required and Costco was offering to do.

Can you elaborate on this, in what way are the HAs “matched” to the charger? Are you saying the charger can only be used with the one set of HAs.

I suspect it’s only been recently that Phonak has determined that they have to electronically match the aids to the charger for the charger to work properly. Prior to this, I’ve had my aids returned for repair for this issue twice, with no improvement. The loaner set I’m using supposedly HAS been matched. With my old aids and charger, several times a week I would insert the aids and have the light blink green, or amber or even sometime red, then they would usually settle in to blinking amber, then blinking green, then solid green…or not! Sometimes they would be solid green…then off! One or both. With the loaner set I’m using, they immediately turn blinking amber, then after a time they are solid green, and they do not change. I really do not know what they do to match the aids to the charger, but it sure seems to work. Now they have the dubious pleasure of matching TWO chargers because I have one for home and one for the motor home. That should prove interesting.