Interference between Contrast HP+ hearing aids and Roger X receiver

Hi - my audiologist has provided me 2 x Signia Contrast HP+ hearing aids with direct input shoes.

I have noticed a constant thrumming noise when wearing the aids with my Phonak Roger X receivers. It starts maybe one minute after switching on the aids. If I remove the Roger X receivers from the shoes, I no longer get the thrumming noise. It’s as if there is interference between the receivers and the hearing aids.

The volume of the thrumming noise depends on which programme:

1. Universal (mic but no audio input): quiet thrumming
  2. Audio input + mic: Maybe no thrumming
  3. Audio input only: Can’t hear any thrumming
  4. Induction loop: Loud thrumming.
  5. For noisy environment: Can’t hear any thrumming (also the same when on programme 1 but with Spatial Configurator set to front only)
  6. Outdoor sports: quiet thrumming

I have tried swapping the receivers around (moving left receiver to right aid, right to left aid) but that makes no difference. I have also tried different DAI shoes.

I am awaiting a response from my audiologist but am interested in any suggestions others may have on cause or how I may be able to troubleshoot myself.

Many thanks.

This is a known issue with Signia products and the Roger X via Audio shoe.

It has been explained to me that the Roger X does relay some digital information to the hearing aid (for things like automatic activation of a Direct Audio Input program or to adjust receiver signal input) and the Signia hearing aids do not filter this digital signal out and thus it becomes an audible clicking or humming sound.

Unfortunately it is a Signia related issue so Phonak cannot do anything about it.

1 Like

Thanks for the response bigaltavista.
Do you have any experience on whether there is a solution for this? Based on what you have explained it would seem that even if my audiologist provided a new set of Contrast HP+ aids or reprogrammed them it’s likely it won’t resolve the issue.

Yes that’s correct, it’s unlikely to be a techbucal fault with your devices.

Unfortunately as I mentioned there’s not a lot that can be done. You might request a low frequency reduction be applied on the DAI program but this may only slightly improve the issue.