Interesting rationale for not wearing hearing aids

Via Apple News and The Guardian (UK newspaper), a piece setting out an interesting argument for not wearing HAs.https://apple.news/A_X9bHMiASMqgfZzXU2JuNQ

4 Likes

That was an interesting read! I could relate to the authorā€™s experience - from the perspective of ME at about age 5-14 or so? Beyond that age, I clearly needed aids, but 1.) they were too expensive, so my folks never bought them for me, and 2.) my own ā€œworldā€ of hearing defined what was ā€œnormalā€ā€¦ to ME! I simply had no idea what I was missing other than seeing the audiogram that said I couldnā€™t hear below 30dB across the board. Finally, 3.) back in the early '80s aids were WAY simpler, less effective, and basically just blasted volume without compensating for frequency loss.

Well, it seems the guy in the article has maintained that level of hearing - which to me isnā€™t all that bad. But, if his hearing were to deteriorate to my own snake belly low, heā€™d be whistling a new tune (albeit not able to hear the tune). When I finally borrowed money and bought my first pair of Starkey aids at age 35, I LOVED all the sounds I heard! By then I think I was at about the 45dB level?

And now today? GUFFAW!!! I may have a husband, a house, a car, friends, family, but I wouldnā€™t last a day without being able to HEAR the world around me. Itā€™s all about perspectives. As a kid, I could still hear well enough to get by - and avoid those with ridiculously SOFT voices.

Now that I have a fabulous pair of aids, I have a lot more confidence, actively engage folks - no matter if they have a soft voice or speak with an accent. Combine excellent aids with accessories to stream audio from phone, TV and other sources, and Iā€™m SUPER comfortable being proactive: making support phone calls for others, feeding back what Iā€™ve heard to folks I talk to - so they know Iā€™m listening and understanding them.

I think if a person decides NOT to hear ambient sounds it could be a slippery slope to chosing NOT to engage with anyone they have trouble hearing, which then leads to brain-ear connections lost and ā€¦ well, I donā€™t want to sound melodramatic, but dementia is more likely when a personā€™s hearing isnā€™t optimal.

Thatā€™s a lifestyle and health choice Iā€™m going to prioritize. In fact, The Guardian would do a service if they published ā€œThe Other Side of Hearing Loss - Using AIDS!ā€ so folks get a fresh perspective. :smiley:

17 Likes

If one chooses life as a hermit, I can buy his reasoning, but the red flag to me was this: ā€œespecially when my wife is sick of asking me the same thing twiceā€ Some people donā€™t realize how annoying their loss is to others. Choosing not to do something about it comes across as not valuing the relationship. Having to continuously raise oneā€™s voice also tends to promote anger.

16 Likes

I wear my hearing aids from the time I get out f bed until I go to bed. I wear my aids so I can understand as much as possible, so I can be there for my wife, friends and family. So I can keep my brain as sharp as possible.
My audiologist told me that more than likely the Oticon Real1 aids that I get this coming Thursday more than likely may be be my last set of aids as more than likely I will need a CI next.

8 Likes

Absolutely! Opinion pieces, by definition can be pseudo fact/science, and in this case, playing to readersā€™ denial with significant consequences.

4 Likes

Honestly I disagree with you. I live in a retirement community, we have individuals hear that wear aids that are still going great at 90+, then there are people hear that donā€™t wear aids that just arenā€™t with it anymore, some that are barely retirement age, that definitely should be wearing aids. I also volunteer at the local VA clinic and I see veterans that refuse to wear their aids, and I see how they are becoming less and less sharp with their thinking.

4 Likes

I wonder if he needs glasses to see and if chooses not to wear them because this just how he sees? Or if he was blind, would he not use braille, a cane or seeing eye dog?

This guy doesnā€™t respect his wife enough to take the time needed to adapt to the wearing aids. Iā€™m sure he depends on other people to help him hear in many situations. I think refusing to help himself, and being proud of the fact, is selfish.

7 Likes

I totally agree with you. He isnā€™t respectful of his wife and family and friends.

4 Likes

I also agree, especially with Bluebirdā€™s take. I completely understand the irritation and disorientation of things sounding ā€˜differentā€™. Itā€™s still annoying to me after two months of wearing hearing aids. But the upsides, not requiring people to repeat themselves all the time, or raise their voices at me in frustration, the ability to follow conversations without so much effort, all of these make me determined to get used to them. I wear them all my waking hours. I am still aware of them all the time and Iā€™m hoping that will pass, but I canā€™t imagine ever giving up on them.

1 Like

As someone that has worn aids for almost 20 years, and the same brand for 14 years, it takes time to get used to wearing hearing aids. At first I was getting different brand aids and was always complaining about the sound. From my first set to Oticon aids I made up my mind that I had to stick to one brand and decided that Oticon was as good as any. As I have moved from old to new aids, my settings have been able to be transformed then the necessary changes incorporated. This has my hearing life so much better. I use the VA clinics, and have been to 4 different clinics and 5 different audiologists, but I have asked for my settings to be transferred each time, I have had only one audiologist complain, my comments was my aids my hearing, my way. If the audiologist didnā€™t like it assign me to a different audiologist that will listen. Me and that audiologist became friends and my hearing aid experience greatly improved. I was raised to take care of myself but be willing to listen to others and make my own decisions. No where is this more important than our health, and believe me hearing loss affects our health. I have always insisted that my blood pressure issues are because of my inability to understand conversations and noisy environments. I was laughed at for years until I demanded that my theory be proven or disproven and it was proven. Now I am in another claimā€™s battle with the VA benefits board. But it is in my military medical records that my blood pressure issues started at about the same time as my hearing issues and tinnitus. I am a troubleshooter, I donā€™t believe in coincidences.

2 Likes

Thank you for posting this article! @garethjwells
After reading the comments given I almost donā€™t dare to respond on itā€¦ but I still will.
Maybe luckily my hearing isnā€™t too bad. Same for my vision, just a correction of -1.5 and + for reading glasses.
As I wouldnā€™t have earned my income and pension without my excellent vision as a MD PhD in radiology. And really didnā€™t had enjoyed my musical interest for classical music and others.

Sometimes not wearing my glasses because it disturbs me and sometimes putting my hearing aids off although I hear less. But being in a quiet environment and not seeing as much gives me also a lot of peace and rest! I am often overwhelmed by the quantity of information my brain has to get rid of. Probably I am too hypersensitive to receive all of that information. But I hope to find respect for other opinions as well as we are not all the same I think.
Being a bit asocial if you need the rest should not be qualified that much. I assume the comments in this topic were not ment to be as harsh as I felt them to be. People on this forum helped me a lot for living with my aids and I am happy to have the chance to be able to use them, thank you all.
Emile

2 Likes

Taking breaks from your glasses and hearing aids are good stress relievers. It can be like meditating. Peaceful. Quiet. I donā€™t think anyone here is suggesting otherwise.

My problem with the author of the article was his pride that he doesnā€™t care if he is a bother to others, especially his wife.

I got my hearing aids because my husband was complaining about how loud the tv was. How much I didnā€™t hear him. Then a friend thought I was mad at him because I ignored him when he spoke to me. The people I care about are worth the annoyance of wearing aids. I want to be able to understand and hear what is happening in their lives. The article writer may eventually learn that as his hearing gets worse.

3 Likes

Thanks for you clarification. In the case you describe it I could only agree with you. Youā€™re totally right.

When I read your post I got my own story back in my mind about turning up the TV and still did not hear enough. And the discussions with my partner about her trying to contact me without succes and me always asking what did you sayā€¦ as I also had to ask the rest of the world to repeat themselves. When I got my first glasses I also remembered at once that I could see the joints between the bricks in a building, without former noticing I missed something.

Maybe my English is not good enough to clearly understand the article as I am not an English native speaker. So you learned me something, thanks. Letā€™s enjoy our ability to have input from what is happening around us and let love spread the world.

Emile

2 Likes

Well said! The world is full of amazing sights and sounds.

1 Like