Insurance... Anthem BC/BS anyone?

We have Anthem BC/BS… It’s a PPO plan with an HRA.

Several phone calls have revealed that they will pay 80% of the base model of what we end up getting… So our understanding is if I go with Oticon Alta2 Pros… They will pay for %80 of the Ria2 model. If I go with Phonak Audeo V90s, they’ll pay 80% of the V30s.

I have called the plan service number of the insurance card, my husband has spoken with HR at his employer, and two different audiologist practices have called on our behalf… All have resulted in the same answer. The HIS I’ve decided to work with is skeptical though.

So, do you think that’s what we’ll actually get? Anyone have experience with Anthem? How’d it go?

My husband is having a horrible time dealing with the fact that we are not really going to know what we’re paying for these things until after the fact. I’m more of the mindset of at least we get something…

I’m about start a 30 day free trial and spend 2 weeks in the Alta2 Pros and two weeks in the Phonak Audeo V90s. Then, if I choose one I like, we start the payment and billing process to purchase.

Personally I would take whatever they give you. We have Cigna and they basically laughed at me when I asked about hearing aid coverage.

Of course, we’ll take what they give us… Just asking to see if anyone actually what their insurance plan initially said they’d cover. I’m trying to manage expectations.

I have Federal Blue Cross/ Blue Shield (FEP), they pay $2500 total, every three years, but you have to pay for the aids upfront (at Costco, anyway, because they won’t file the insurance for you ), I paid about $500 myself because I bought extra’s.

I have Blue Cross group plan for state employees and it covers a max of $1500 per ear every 4 years.

I bought my hearing aids are Hearing Revolution ( http://hearingrevolution.com/hrhearingaids ). All the prices are listed so you are not guessing. I submitted the claim myself and got the money directly from the insurance company.

I have Anthem BC/BS with Advantage 65 plan as secondary insurance with the state of Va. I found out just a week ago that I need a HA.
I called the no. on the card yesterday, and after a few minutes, the gentleman at the other end (I assume in Richmond) called back to say that there was no coverage for any hearing loss treatments.

Yet, unrelated to this, while I was searching for a solution to my “ear dilemma” I came across TruHearing, and upon calling and talking with them, they related to me that I am eligible for a discount because of their affiliation with Anthem. So, I’m rather confused, but nevertheless set up an appointment with this establishment to see what the story is. They referred me to a local hearing clinic.

So, being smarter than I look they tell me, I can decipher a good deal when I see one. According to the young lady I spoke with, the price of a HA would be around $700 (for 2 or 3 of the least expensive), which is roughly half price. Maybe I’m setting myself up for a downfall, I don’t know. I will wait until I go to my appointment next Tuesday at the hearing center before I make a judgment. They offer a 45 day free trial period.

Can anyone offer any insight to this situation?

Jay

My guess is that it is a marketing ploy for both. Get a price and then have a friend call for a price. I’ll bet they are very close. They can call the discount they give anything. I’ll bet he didn’t ask for your a/c number.

So, being smarter than I look they tell me, I can decipher a good deal when I see one. According to the young lady I spoke with, the price of a HA would be around $700 (for 2 or 3 of the least expensive), which is roughly half price. Maybe I'm setting myself up for a downfall, I don't know. I will wait until I go to my appointment next Tuesday at the hearing center before I make a judgment. They offer a 45 day free trial period.

Can anyone offer any insight to this situation?

Go to the TruHearing website and click on Products. The pricing is right there for each and every model. No gimmick. I chose Costco, but I was working with TruHearing in parallel prior to my Costco appt - the hours and perks through TruHearing didn't beat Costco.

Hearing Aid Catalog | TruHearing Hearing Aids