Incidental Observation to Increase Hearing Aid Bass

When I use my Starkey Genesis RIC hearing aids I noticed accidentally that if I push up with my fingers on the lower part of my ears then the bass in music increases dramatically. My sense is that the increase largely comes from physical vibration, i.e. perhaps this maneuver increases bone conduction.

Is this a known observation for HA users? If so is there some receiver or dome or other accessory to intentionally increase bone conduction when using a hearing aid?

Yes it’s an occlusive fit that will give more Bass, unlike an open fitting, so I guess your just closing the ear canal a bit more when you do this.

What dome or other accessory can achieve this without having to hold my fingers there? :slight_smile:

Custom earmolds will give your the most bass (you will hear everything better actually).
Incidentally it’s what pros in music industry use.
Next in order would be the so called “power domes” of proper size, which are similar to what earbuds use.
You need tight and closed fit.

1 Like

Interesting - my audiologist already tried both of those

I have a set of custom earmolds but I compared them to power domes and decides the power domes sounded better - so that is what I am using now

But the technique I noted in my original post increases the bass dramatically over either of those options

1 Like

They might be not fitted or positioned properly.
Does blocking your ear with a finger result in the same bass hike?

Blocking my ear with a finger increases the bass slightly

Pushing up on the bottom of my ear (pushing on the canal, not on the earlobe) has an extremely larger effect

Does it happen in both ears?
Also, are we talking streaming or listening to music as usual?

Yes it happens with both ears

Only with streaming - not when listening through external speakers

It has to be a fitting issue then, you’re either repositioning the receiver/speaker or making the canal tighter so less of the sound escapes.
Due to the way they may be inserted and how some canals are shaped, what might happen is that receiver is skewed and is facing the wall.

OK thanks - I will check with the audiologist particularly on the custom earmolds

1 Like

It won’t help!! Been there done that.
Work arounds that helps:
Foam earplugs cut down so you don’t look like the Frankenstein monster, pushed up against your earmolds, or domes.
Cut some cotton balls to fit the same way as the above.
You’ll get a much better seal, and bass will be there!

My final fix is to wear my Etymotic ER3SE IEMs with the dual flange tips, and not even bother w/HAs.
You don’t display your audiogram, so hard to say what will work for you, but if you click on mine you can compare.
For non streaming music I wear my Sennheiser HD6XX cans over my HAs with the Music program on.

I had a similar observation…

Couldn’t hear. Wondered if I had my hearing aids in. Index finger in each ear. Aids were at least twice as loud as before.
Audi switched me from open domes to closed domes when I told him about it.

He was a fine gentleman who suggested politely a month ago I should find someone that could help me better than he could. I did. I can hear now! Ended 2 years of setup trials…