Impact tinnitus on audiogram?

Hi all,

This week I’ll be making a new audiogram. I was wondering whether tinnitus has an impact on the accuracy of the audiogram? I’ve heard somebody mentioning using a wobble/warble tone. Is this true? What are your experiences?

Thanks in advance!

LOL that is a GREAT question! I used to have a running joke with my previous audi of 15 yrs every time I went in for a hearing test. I’d say, “You know my tinnitus will make me FAIL the test, so just give me a ‘handicap’ booster on the score, okay?” To which he’d say, “Yeah. Now shaddup, git in that booth, and take the test!”

And of course my audiogram here proves, I’d always fail.

In my own humble opinion, tinnitus makes a difference! My ears ring at a constant pitch & volume below which I doubt I could hear the tone - warbled or not. Maybe warbling helps, but if tinnitus is making it hard to hear a tone, then I’m guessing that’s the benchmark you have to work with, right? Cuz the tinnitus isn’t goin away. And my own ringing ears bong more on rainy days, or if I take meds or many other situations.

So I’d just relax, lean in to it, take the test, and let the results speak for themselves - ringing ears or not. It’s probably the most accurate ballpark you’ll be in for fitting.

2 Likes

So from my experience, tinnitus does play a big role in how your audiogram is determined. My tinnitus is constant, 24/7. It varies between very low (about 750-850hz) and spends most of its time in higher frequencies that sound like they’re past aidable range, though I can’t quantify the frequency, it’s just very, VERY high pitched.

When I went for one of my hearing tests, the audiologist gave me the trigger and I was pressing it down thinking I heard beeps. I pressed it down 5 times before she told me she hadn’t even pressed anything for 20 seconds. I then told her I had a bunch of ringing in my ears and she said, “okay, that make so much more sense, you had me worried!”

So I would say it definitely does make a difference. As @1Bluejay said, take it easy and don’t try too hard. Work with what you have and let the audiologist translate their expertise into better hearing for you. Always let them know what’s changed for you so they can better help you out.

3 Likes

For anyone who might read this in the future: don’t worry! Read the answers above (once again - many thanks).

I told my audiometrist and the audiogram turned out unchanged. They will know how to filter out false positives.

2 Likes

It will depend on how the audiologist does the test.
I have been doing DIY tests at home for two decades (I’m a retired audio & broadcast engineer).
Now of course my tests lacked calibration, but depending on how I did the tests, the results were often different one from another.

1 Like

When I mention tinnitus to audiologist(s)before a hearing test, it usually triggers “Hmmmm… We better do a warble test so…”

1 Like