I'm stuck on what to do for my next aids

I was born moderately-severly deaf and wearing hearing aids my whole life.

In 2018 I purchased a pair of Phonak Virto B Power CIC hearing aids which have done me well. About 2/3rds of the way though last year they started having issues so guess it’s time for new aids! Got my old ones repaired whilst trialing new aids over next 4-6 months…

• Trialed Phonak Lumity RIC because it’s the latest tech, been using Phonak for decades and should get more from RIC? Constantly felt disoriented from where sound was coming from and rechargeable battery didn’t come close to lasting long enough

• Trialed Starkey Genesis AI RIC because it’s got longer battery life (why isn’t this industry standard for rechargeable?) but Bluetooth doesn’t work well for me and again I’m disoriented on where sound is coming from and not seeing big benefits with dual microphones, etc.

• Trialed Phonak Paradise CIC (Lumity isn’t available CIC yet) in a titanium mould. Constant feedback and keeps slipping out (which hasn’t been an issue before), have gotten it remolded and have the same issues. Haven’t really noticed meaningful sound quality differences despite two generations of newer tech.

So I’m at a loss on what to do. I have my audiologist check in tomorrow morning and am thinking one of these options a) get an updated real ear measurement (had a different audiologist when I picked up the updated moulds and she didn’t do despite me asking twice - very disappointing) b) drop the titanium and go back to ceramic, c) stop with this purchase and wait for Lumity CIC (hopefully next 2-6 months) or d) drop Phonak all together and try something else

Any advice?

I have very poor peripheral vision so sound location is uber important to me. I’m on work calls all day WFH style so headphone comfort is important (don’t care for bluetooth). I also travel a lot for work and am in loud environments such as conferences or dinners which I know is the most challenging situations I’m in besides hearing my wife from across the house! That’s very important too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Definitely, go try some from Costco, Jabra ( Resound) Rexton ( Signia) or the Phillips
( to much debate on what models they are exactly, but everything’s coming from the Demant parts bin)
Pity that the Starkey didn’t work out, lots of good reviews for them, maybe your Audiologist clinic wasn’t to familiar with that brand, but a new clinic and a new brand to trial sounds like a way forward for you.

2 Likes

Firing Phonak and trying Oticon was the absolute best decision ever for me. I’m hearing like I did 10 years ago. And I eliminated condensation/sweating issues caused by my former Phonak ear mold as well. If something’s not working, it wouldn’t hurt to change things up a bit.

3 Likes

Given that I have had different experience with BT in my Starkey Evolv 2400s than you had with the Genesis, and that Starkey makes CIC HAs. You might try a Starkey CIC. I’m not sure which ones come in both rechargeable and replaceable battery units, but I believe they do come in rechargeable.

1 Like

Fit is going to be your biggest concern. How does the fit look on the titaniums compared to your old Virto Bs? You of course need it to be comfortable, but also long, deep and snug.

I like Starkey for a power CIC. You could try the bluetooth CICs, but depending on the size of your ear canal you might need to drop the bluetooth to get a nice deep fit, which will help with localization. I also like the ear-to-ear directional mic on Signia CICs if I can get a nice fit with Signia which . . . can sometimes be a challenge where I am.

But if you’re not up for playing around with different options or if you are tired of it, the titaniums should at least be able to match your Virto Bs in performance, though advances in non-wireless CICs over time tend to be minor. Phonak has your old Virto B impressions on file and fitting data can be transferred.

For other manufacturers who need new EMIs, sometimes sending along a photo of your existing hearing aids as well as marking up the EMI can be helpful. In the worst case, you can actually send your old hearing aid in and have them scan it, but the ear does change over time and so new is better unless they are just continuously flubbing it. There is a skill component to making a nicely fitting hearing aid and it does fluctuate at various labs with staff turn-over and even within labs depending on who it goes to, so clinicians can absolutely go through frustrating times with manufacturers when they need to send for multiple remakes and do a lot of hand-holding. There were huge disruptions at various places during the pandemic, but they have improved a lot. There is a skill component on the clinician side as well with both the EMI and communication with the lab. But if the fit isn’t right, it’s hard to assess the sound quality.

3 Likes

I know Signia fans are few here. But, try the Pure 312 AX with the HP receivers they are only available in custom molds. If you are bound to Costco try their Rexton aids offering… But, i think they only carry the rechargeable version.

2 Likes

While it seems stupid, ask your wife to text you from the other side of the house. My DH has learned that, despite the latest hearing aids, I’m really not going to understand what he’s saying from three rooms away. So rather than me stopping what I’m doing, walking over, & in an annoyed tone of voice saying “I didn’t understand you as I was on the other side of a $%^&@#$ wall” he now texts me & I can read/respond from my watch or phone. The rules is that if you can’t see me, I probably can’t hear you. FWIW, I have Phonak Lumity Life L90Rs that I got in Dec 2023 & think they’re great. Good luck!

9 Likes

This is good spouse training. Texting (or calling now that calls stream to hearing aids) is good. Someone else mentioned that you can use the alexa room drop-in function if you are one of these advanced techy home people. I also usually recommend that ignoring your spouse is better than yelling, “what?”. If it was important they will come to you.

I’m not sure why. Signia makes a really solid hearing aid. I guess maybe they don’t have as much flash as other manufacturers.

5 Likes