If you use Roku to stream TV, may not need a dedicated TV streamer device

I stream Roku for my TV after cutting cable. I have a Roku 4K box to stream, don’t use the app on the smart tv. Lost my remote to the box and learned I could download the Roku app to control the Roku box. What I also learned was I could stream the audio from the Roku to my iPhone and output the audio to my aids or Air Pods - no HA streamer needed. If you use Roku and don’t have a streaming device for your aids you might want to give it a try. If you use Roku but don’t have the Roku box they are approx $45 at Walmart versus a $200+ streaming device from your HA manufacturer

1 Like

The potential problem is whether the aids can do aptx audio. The Phonak Paradise (KS10) do not.
No problem not using aids. I can do that with an aptx bluetooth transmitter going to an aptx bluetooth receiver that has a headphone jack and not have lag. The aids cause lag if they aren’t aptx. Maybe mfi aids are different.

1 Like

Is that the specific model name? Can this be done with most of their devices? To paraphrase, the Roku app on your phone is streaming the sound to your aids. I’ll have to try this. Any issues with sync? Audio matches the lips timewise?

This is the device I have. Roku is a free streaming device that has its own programming but also allows you to launch third party apps. I use Hulu and Netflix to stream. So, I launch Roku, then stream for example Netflix. Last night I watched the new Kevin Hart movie. From my iPhone I launched the Roku app and select remote

I then tap the headset icon and whatever my iPhone is connected to for audio is where the audio is output- hearing aids or Air Pods in my case. I was able to hear the movie and subtle sounds like I never am able to listening to the sound bar. Using my Air Pod Pros with tuned to my audiogram was wonderful. I was contemplating buying a TV streamer for my aids, but for me this solved the problem. As far as how it works - iPhone connects Bluetooth to the Roku device, and then the iPhone connects mifi to my aids or Bluetooth to the Air pods.

See my explanation below for details

But again, how is the lip-sync? As you’re watching the people on the screen talking and as you’re listening to them talk, are they aligned ie. in-sync? I’m assuming that mfi to the aids is making the difference. My aids are not mfi and I have no Apple products and nor do my aids support aptx. So the tv streamer works perfectly. In my case.

1 Like

I agree that what I am discussing is limited to those aids that connect to an iPhone. In answer to your question I did not notice any lip syncing issues.

1 Like

I checked out the different Roku remotes and the there was none that offered a Headphone Icon on it like yours in the picture. The Roku Express 4K remote at Walmart does not have that icon. There are a few with a Headphone Jack. ???
There are more expensive Roku set ups that offer Bluetooth® Headphone Mode & music streaming. Still less expensive then a Hearing Aid brand TV Streamer.

This works well with my Jabra Pro 10s and Roku Stick 4K, but I already own a TV Streamer 2.

I watch some shows via the TV tuner, and the Roku app doesn’t help with that. Also, the sound is marginally better through the TVS2, though I can’t match volume, and within broad limits, louder sounds better, and the TVS2 was louder than the Roku in my brief test.

OTOH, if I hadn’t bought the TV streamer already, I’d be bowing down to you in gratitude, since everything I watch OTA is replaceable by apps, except for one channel I don’t use much. :slightly_smiling_face:

The Headphone control is in a Roku remote control app from the app store.

The headphone icon is on the Roku app that you download to your iPhone. The screen shot is from the Roku app. Doesn’t matter which physical remote you have. Don’t know if Android has a similar app in their store but since I have iPhone can’t say whether this works the same in that space

1 Like

Did you try turning up volume on your iPhone? Changing the volume on the phone increased or decreased the volume in my aids

Interesting question. I hope I remember it - I don’t have time to test now.

I do this with my Roku TV all the time - the iPhone remote app audio goes to the Jabra Enhance 20 BT audio just fine.

This Roku app capability needs to be built into all the other streamer remote apps (Fire TV, AppleTV, Shield, etc.) - very simple solution.

1 Like

Note that if you are in group watching TV, this option might not work.

1 Like

Thanks for this information, I just tried it with my Roku Ultra model 4670X and iPhone and it works quite well. At first blush, I even like the sound better than my Oticon TV adapter. And when I switch my program to “Speech in Noise” the sound and dialog improves as well.

1 Like

I found out this week if there is a lip sync issue you can adjust it in the remote app. Hit the gear icon and there is a process to improve the sync