I showered with the hearing aids

I finally did it. I jumped in the shower with the Resound Futures still firmly attached to my ears. I let the water run over my head and then realized what I had done. I grabbed the hearing aids with wet hands and took them out. I opened the shower door and set them on the counter. They really got a good soaking. When I took them out and set them on the counter, I left the battery door closed. I wanted the chance to dry them on the outside before I opened the door.

After my shower I tried to dry them off but they were dry on the outside. I opened them and the batteries seemed dry, closed them back and they started the ding ding ding countdown and fired right up. I guess I really caught a break.

I have gotten them wet from sweat before, as my whole head has been wet from working in the yard and exercising, but never directly soaked them like this.

Nice!. That says a lot for the nano-coating.

I don’t think I could ever make that mistake, because without my aids, I can just barely hear the water running.

I would notice .

Nice to see a so far happy ending. Glad to read that the nano-coating appears to be working as advertised. When you perspire with the aids how wet do they get, and do they continue working?

I have a pair of ReSound Live 9’s that are allegedly nano-coated, but the slightest bit of perspiration runs right into the battery compartment, getting the battery wet and killing the aid until the battery dries out to I replace it. That’s one of the reasons I’m wearing Future Remote Mic in-the-canal aids now, but contemplated at some future point, no pun intended :^) getting a pair like you have as a backup, and still have all my accessories work.

I think I have done that two or three times with different hearing aids. What I did each time was rush dripping wet down the hall to my bedroom and put them in the jar with silica beads and screwed it tight. Each time, they came out nice and dry a few hours later and still functioning just fine. I guess there there is an unstated margin of error that is manufactured into hearing aids that make them somewhat “idiot proof.” Thank goodness for good engineering!

I’ve come close to doing it, half way in the shower I say to myself
what’s that noise :slight_smile:

I would take off the casing and have a look if you sweat alot

Not that long ago I decided to take off the casing and have a look to see if any thing was blocking the mic’s
wow I couldn’t believe how much goo there was, can only happen from sweat, it takes about 10 seconds to remove the casing to have a look

Yup I’ve done that once. Luckily I have thick hair so the water didn’t get onto the aids too much and they still worked.

Like someone else said, I was wondering why the shower seemed so loud, lol.

Yeah, I’ve had these for a year now. It’s probably time to pop open the hood and check things out.

I’ve almost soaked the HA a couple of times by accident in the shower. Fortunately caught it before they got soaked. Now I have a habit of touching my ears as I get in to make sure they are out.
First time they did get wet was when there was a light rain sprinkle. Didn’t occur to me it would kill the aids. They came back when I changed the batteries. (Phonak)

That’s a good way to undermine any kind of water resistant coating.

For future reference, the best thing to do if you get any electrical appliance wet by accident is to resist the temptation to power it up to see if it still works. It’s the natural inclination, switch it on to check it’s fine. Water ruins electrical devices primarily by creating short circuits. If there is no power there is no short. If you are unlucky then providing power will override a core part of the circuit and fry the whole thing. If you are moderately lucky you lose the function of one or more buttons (big deal on a hearing aid as there are very few buttons to start with and they tend to do something pretty vital) and if you are totally lucky you get away with it and nothing gets broken. If you do not provide any power then you cannot get the short circuit effect, so you have the best chance of a happy outcome if you remove all power and leave a device to dry thoroughly before introducing power. I’ve lost count of how many “I spilled a drink on my phone and I switched it on straight away to check it’s OK but now one of the buttons doesn’t work” posts I’ve seen. If you get stuff wet, leave well alone until you are really sure it’s dry.

Good news for you that you didn’t ruin anything, phew. I’ve come close to jumping in the bath and things in my hearing aids before.