I need new hearing aids after ten years

Hello again. Sorry for my English.
I want to buy new hearing aids. My current hearing aids are phonak q70.
I started in a center with Signia pure 5x. I liked the natural sound but felt that I lacked hearing. I asked the audiologist if I should have a REM test but he told me that with the new hearing aids it is not necessary, that the program fitted them better. After two weeks I’ve discarded them.
Now I’m at the center where I bought the q70s and I’m testing the Phonak Lumity 70. I haven’t had a REM test either. They tell me the same thing, that it’s not necessary, but when years ago I had the REM test it changed a lot the configuration of my left ear and I started to hear with that ear for the first time.
At this center they fitted me with a hearing aid that I inherited from my father, the resound ls562, to my loss of the right but it sounded horrible and when I told them they did nothing. So I bought the Noahlink Wireless because I see that I don’t have any luck with audiologists. I would appreciate it if you would share the program I need for this resound.
In the meantime, I’m testing the phonak lumity 70. The first week was bad. It gave me a headache and when I played the guitar it sounded like a bad radio.
Regular connectivity. When I went, he updated them and regulated them based on the q70s.
Now the connectivity is better and I hear better, but it still seems that the right needs to improve the programming to be able to hear well.
On Thursday I have a review and I don’t know whether to go on for another week or look phonak at another center. I also want to try Oticon and Widex.
I want to find hearing aids that really work for me and an audiologist who cares about my hearing well. But I haven’t gotten there yet.

1 Like

REM (Real Ear Measurement) is still relevant. It’s not really a test, but a way of confirming that an appropriate amount of gain is getting to your ears. Most important to your experience will be finding a good audiologist.
If you could share your audiogram (click on FORUM at top of page, then My Hearing Tests) it would give us more information.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot. I’ve shared my audiogram. Tomorrow I have to go and I’ll ask again for REM. But I don’t trust this center anymore.

2 Likes

Thanks for the audiogram. Your English is excellent by the way. I’m no expert, but I’d say your right ear is quite aidable, but your left ear is going to be tough.

3 Likes

Thank for sharing your audiogram.

Your left ear is out of the RIC type hearing aids range in my opinion. It is a BTE hearing loss.
Your right ear can be fit with the RIC type aids.

REM fittings are pretty important unless you are self fitting.

3 Likes

Thank you for saying that my English is excellent. But I have to admit that I use a translator to be able to write here.
I have always defended myself with my right ear. But over the years I’ve lost more hearing and lately I’ve had a hard time understanding conversations in noisy environments. I’m going to calmly look for something that can help me.
I would be very grateful for your help and suggestions.

2 Likes

Since you have mentioned the Phonak Lumiity the new Naida might be a good choice. If the rechargeable model will cover your worse ear it would probably be good for both ears.

4 Likes

Well, right now in the two centers they are fitting both hearing aids with RIC. On the left with microphone P and on the right M.
Can you put one BTE hearing aid and the other RIC?

1 Like

Is the Phonak Lumity Naida already sold? Would it be with RIC or BTE?

The Naida is a BTE.
There is good information about it on this forum, do a search

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks, I’ll do the search. The strange thing is that in both centers I have been told that those hearing aids are good for my hearing loss. In fact, I wear RIC in both ears.
Besides phonak Lumity Naida, can you recommend other models for my hearing loss? I had thought about trying Oticon and Widex.

Your left ear is very close to the high end range of RIC aids. You also mentioned your hearing loss has gotten worse. That is why you might need a hearing aid with room to grow with your hearing loss.

Do you know which receiver size you use in your left ear? Ear canal size can be an issue sometimes.

Hopefully other members will chime in on this like one of the pros.

1 Like

I mentioned that my hearing loss has worsened, but I think in my right ear. I’ll look for an audiometry from a few years ago to compare.
I need high-end hearing aids because I have an active life. I work at a school and I play guitar.
The size of the receiver in my left ear is 1P.

1 Like

This audiometry is from August 2013 when I bought the Phonak Audeo Q70:

And this audiometry is from the ENT from April 2023:

And finally, the audiometry that I have shared from August 2023 and that was done at the center where I bought the Phonak Audéo Q70:

I really don’t know what to think. When I go to another hearing care center, I will ask for a copy of the audiometry result.

2 Likes

A question. On the Naida Lumity UP graph, the red line is outside the hearing aid’s fitting range. It wouldn’t suit my hearing loss, would it?

Thanks for the clarification. I haven’t tried Phonak Naida hearing aids yet. But I want to go to a different center to try phonak.

No, I’m going to go to the ENT doctor. Let’s see if I have a plug in my ear or what could have happened. I also suspect that the August 2023 audiometry is not right. I’d like to have it repeated just in case.

2 Likes

The Phonak Naida Lumiity comes in both rechargeable and 675 batteries. The 675 is a UP BTE aid.

3 Likes

You are right. Tomorrow I’ll try.

Yes, I’m used to batteries that are very convenient to change. If I take them rechargeable, I’ll have to think about that extra charging unit.

1 Like

Well, first I’ll have to see what my real audiometry is, then see which hearing aids are best for my hearing loss and then, if there are different options, I’ll think about whether I want them with batteries or rechargeable.
I’ll keep commenting here.

2 Likes