I’m a CI candidate but…

Hello all,
I am a 67 yo male who has been SSD (single sided deafness) since the age of 4. Have tried a hearing aid 30 years ago on my bad ear with no success. About 5 years ago I trialed two different CROS hearing aids with minimal results. ILast year I was told I was a CI candidate by my audiologist. Went to see the surgeon and was told that even though Medicare covers CI’s for SSD they wouldn’t cover mine due to the fact that I have been SSD so long (60+ years). Can’t seem to have found any info on someone in my situation getting a CI. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

When you turn 65 years old you automatically go off SS disability and go on regular social security. Also when you turn 65 you get medicare coverage which covers most of the cost of a CI. Not sure where you getting your information, but the surgeon you met was incorrect. Unless your hearing level (both ears) is above the requirements for a CI.

In fact before you meet with any CI surgeon, you usually have to go over insurance or medicare coverage prior to such a meeting.

1 Like

You might find your hearing nerve doesn’t work as it hasn’t been stimulated for a very long time. CI won’t work if hearing nerve doesn’t work.

That could be the reason Altho there might be a test to confirm if it is still functional or not?

EDIT - Just realised you said cover a CI rather than give you a CI! Sorry!

I have read many examples of people like yourself that got hearing from a CI. It might not have been great hearing but it was helpful hearing. Such as localization or music or speech in general. Some got great hearing.

The CI evaluation should determine if you are a candidate.

I also believe you were given incorrect information.

Good luck

1 Like

@Raudrive Would calling Cochlear give him some info regarding what Medicare might cover? Clearly the amount of hearing loss qualifies. The issue is how long he’s been without hearing (nerve stimulation)
If not Cochlear, who would be good to contact?

1 Like

I have read Cochlear is more lenient about losses to support CI than AB and MedEl. It still comes down to what Medicare will say. I do know Cochlear will go to bat for those fitting candidacy with Medicare. They have for me and did very well.

Maybe the OP could contact Cochlear with questions. My bet is they would get the wheels turning for him by finding a local audiologist and ENT to support him.

Thanks everyone for their input. I was thinking of calling Cochlear tomorrow and see what they can tell me.

2 Likes

I contacted them from the internet the first time. Then a representative contacted me by email. We ended up visiting by text messaging most of the time.
Since I could not hear from either ear it was very nice.

1 Like

Any of the three CI companies: Cochlear, Med El and Advanced Bionics, have reps who are very helpful. Cochlear is not the only option. I emailed and zoomed with all three to ask questions and explore options. They work for you, so take advantage of their experience.

1 Like

@stemil2525 your in a tough spot here with your hearing. Cochlear do have a department that will do all the leg work and fight for you with the insurance company. They could require you to have an evaluation first, to see if you are eligible before they start that battle.

My advice would be to put a hearing aid in that ear if you have one with you and keep using it every day. Even if you don’t think it’s helping. It will be stimulating the nerve if it’s still viable.

A CI surgeon will send you for a MRI & CT. The MRI should/hopefully give the CI surgeon a better idea on your auditory nerve.

Good luck to you on this hearing journey you are thinking about. Let us know how you get on. :four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

I’m also a cochlear implant candidate, but I just can’t afford the device, even though the operation is under the responsibility of the government, HoHOHo, and I have to be happy to have good friends in the group (this community) and outside the community.