I got exposed to a fire truck siren and ambulance siren

Today at 2:00 pm, I was inside a two story building, I was on the 2nd floor and I hear a fire truck siren take off the road for a mere 5 -8 seconds it was in front of the building outside about 18 to 25 meters away from me outside, I wasn’t wearing any hearing protection. It freaked me out. Then at around 3:15 pm I was driving home and stopped at an intersection at a red light, and across from me was an ambulance and it had its siren on for 10-15 seconds and it was 25-28 meters away from me, this time I was in my car with my headphones hearing protector on with a decibel NRR rating of 37db, it drove past me. Then I finally got home and went to sleep, I manage to sleep for a mere 4-5 hours, I wake up at 10 pm now with no ear pain, but a noticeable ringing in my left ear and I can’t go back to sleep because of it. How long until the ringing subsides and do I have any permanent hearing damage?

The dates I got exposed to loud noise last time to fire sirens was Feburary 28, and took me almost a week to recover, then I get this exposure today on march 10.

So you were slightly further away compared to last time…No one can really predict when it’ll stop bothering you, that’s really up to your body. If it’s bad, you go to a doctor. Do you perhaps have misophonia or hyperacusis? Or live next to a fire station? Curious what is sparking this worry for you.

1 Like