I get to try some Phonak - what receiver can cover my audiogram?

Very likely – just for trial’s sake – I can try the new Phonak Lumity and I’m not really sure what receiver can cover up for my hearing loss. If you get those more powerful receiver on a RIC Lumity model does it tend to overwork/have an hard time to adjust? With Starkey I’m using a 70dB receiver

I’d go with whatever your audiologist recommends rather than what I say. Ideally I’d say it would be best to trial with a custom mold. If you can do that, you’d have the option of the P or UP. If you can’t trial with custom molds, then I’d say the P receiver with Power Domes. Not sure what you meant by your last question. If you go with a less powerful receiver, you won’t have any “headroom”, or ability to adjust gain higher if you prefer more gain or your hearing worsens. If you’re currently only using a 70dB receiver, you may have difficulty adjusting to the gain that a more powerful receiver could supply. I don’t know why they’d have you in a 70dB receiver with your audiogram. What’s your word recognition like? Have you considered an evaluation for a cochlear implant?

1 Like

@buiononsense See below:

Left ear (in blue):

Audeo Lumity:

Naida Paradise:

Disclaimer: I am not an audiologist nor a healthcare professional, I am just an average Joe.
Please, take my comments with caution and double check with a Professional. Thx

2 Likes

Ok thanks, I’ll keep in mind the Power Domes + suggested receiver just for trial use.

I’m not really informed about receivers – the 70dB one I’m using, it’s the more powerful I’ve ever had, for years I used a 50dB receiver, but I had a milder hearing loss. In my little experience, I don’t want any less for now on. I’m ok with the loudness but most times I can sense the hearing aids it’s struggling and any situation out of perfect one to one in quiet situation it’s really difficult. I know that any more powerful receiver in Starkey it’s available only with BTE models and it’s a 80dB receiver.

My last recognition score was deemed as not good and my current HAs were deemed insufficient – still they didn’t write the exact % and stuff. On that day they suggested waiting a year and try to find a solution with the fitter or with some new hearing aids. I bet that if I get similar results again they will seriously consider cochlear implant, this time it’s been only nominated as plausible in the future. The main thing it’s that nobody seems to understand why it has got worse or predict if I’ll recover or worse again.

My unclear question come from the fact that I’ve put a 70dB receiver (the one I’ve been using) on a trial Starkey RIC and from data sheet it’s recommended to use maximum 60dB receiver and it shows with several adjustment issues. So, my question to put it really simple – in your opinion, Phonak RIC model handle decently/sit well with a powerful receiver? It should be ok, since it’s indicated a combination with very powerful receiver like P o UP receiver by Phonak itself– but I can’t confirm since I’m not familiar with Phonak.

Thanks! It’s really helpful

1 Like

Part of the issue may be terminology. As far as I know there is no standard of what a “70dB” receiver means. I was assuming it meant for a 70dB loss, but I’m guessing it really means 70dB gain which is likely pretty reasonable. Trialing a Super Power BTE would also be reasonable.

1 Like

Starkey Evolv AI Power Plus BTE 13:

1 Like

Yes, it can very likely being just like you said… I’m waiting on the Power Plus BTE – in the US it has been out for a bit now, in Italy it’s expected to be available in January according to my audiologist or in April according to Starkey itself… I’m open to try other brands too

@buiononsense Giuseppe is that you?

Sorry, not really sure about what this mean…

I know people named Giuseppe, sure :slight_smile:

@buiononsense Sorry, I thought you were Giuseppe Meazza :sweat_smile: