I am going to have surgery

I am to have surgery next month. My hearing without my aids is very poor and I have a very difficult time comprehending speech. Does anyone have any pointers for me? I am concerned about my time in recovery room before I see family and get my hearing aids.

1 Like

Does the surgery involve your ears?

If it’s not ear surgery, you may be able to keep your aids in. I was surprised for this to be the case last year.

3 Likes

I had issues with a hospital procedure and stay.

My better half was with me. Good thing. I couldn’t hear. And I had my hearing aid in and was using them.

I have a partner mic. I never thought of taking it. I could have given it to the surgeon and nurses.

I could have used my cell phone. It is connected to my hearing aids by bluetooth. Of course the speaker would have needed a cell phone too.

There are programs that provide transcription. APPs too.

And I had an issue with my hearing aids. They have rechargeable batteries. I should have taken my recharger base because the battery life is too short for my normal day, let alone a hospital visit.

Finally, I found out here after the procedure was over, that Phonak has a program that helps us when the speaker is wearing a surgical mask. (Essential step==it boosts mid and high frequencies because of the mask).

They wouldnt let me use my cpap machine and mask. During the night they thought I had died because of sleep apnea. Two nurses came running.

DaveL

1 Like

I had a couple surgeries just a little more than two years ago. I took my glasses and hearing aids into the prep area. They brought me a bag at the last minute and said something to the effect of “this goes in with you and will come out. We do it all the time. Don’t worry.” And they did. No trouble.

When I had a colonoscopy last year, they said I wouldn’t need them, and my wife would be with me before I woke up, so it was safe to leave them with her, so I’d have them available when I woke up. They made sure I knew everything I needed to know/do before I took them off. All was OK.

I’d say explain your situation with hearing to them and they will probably do their best to make you comfortable and accommodate you.

WH

5 Likes

I’ve had a few surgeries since getting hearing aids; wore them every time. It can be interesting listening to the chatter before you go under!

4 Likes

I don’t think you want HAs when going to the dentist. You do not want to hear all frequencies all the time.

1 Like

Adding my own 2-cents’ worth here. And you can see where my hearing is WITHOUT aids in … I’ve had several surgical procedures - some elective, some recommended, and I ALWAYS insist on having the aids right at my fingertips the minute I’m wheeled into recovery. They figure it out! Sometimes the surgical gurney has a tray underneath, or sometimes there’s a small plastic bin that’s carried with me into and out of surgery.

Don’t fret. But DO NOT take “NO!” for an answer. Make them figure it out so you are comfortable getting the procedure done.

To play Devil’s advocate, I’ve lived in earthquake country and places with unpredictable fires or floods. I would not want to be in a situation where everyone scatters and I’m left not knowing where my aids are. If worse comes to worse, turn the aids off and wear them in a small neck pouch (like those hidden pouches folks fly with to hide a few valuables in). Good luck in the procedure.

2 Likes

I suppose they’d have to sterilize it, or wear it under their scrubs.

2 Likes

I always wear at the dentist too. How else am I going to catch up on the latest gossip in town! The only time my aids aren’t in my ears is when I’m sleeping, showering or swimming. (30 years of using HA)

1 Like

They had no problem letting me keep my aids on during my cataract surgeries, but they warned that the aid on the same side as the eye being operated on would get wet. I removed that aid.

I also keep my aids in at the dentist.

1 Like

I have the best story about surgery versus hearing aids, but won’t tell it until this person is done. I have had three since as well, and I just kept them in for those. Try and keep them in if you can, well charged or with new batteries.

Thanks for your input. Now I am eager to hear your story!

1 Like

I’ve no experience with the hearing aid part here but can speak to the CPAP. When I was hospitalized after an ER visit, I mentioned CPAP and they provided one - even set it up based on my knowledge of the setting for my home unit. The second night I used my own after my wife brought it from home. Sure sounds like the folks at your hospital didn’t know anything about sleep apnea. Interesting.

THIS!!!

I leave my HAs at home when I’m going for a filling or crown. I don’t want to hear that part!

1 Like

They knew lots. I was monitored constantly. The issue was during Covid.

I got to compare my iWatch ecg to their display. Blood oxygen levels. Heart rate. I was in to have 3 stents put in my heart. No annaesthetic. All the displays on my watch were accurate.

I was so grateful to have the procedure done. I stopped breathing in the ward. Two nurses were there instantly.