How to use Roger ON iN V2 with TV

Ok. I’m almost sheepish to post this, but the User Manual doesn’t clearly say: When streaming TV with the Roger V2 stick that’s seated in the charging base (which, itself is plugged in to a power source and the digital optical port on the back of the TV), is the stick turned ON, OFF or does it even matter?

It seems to work if the power button on the stick is ON or OFF, but I wanted to make sure I’m using this device correctly. In the manual, the page shows what looks to be power ON to my ol’ eyes:

If anyone has the answer, I’d be ever so grateful! I do know that when the stick is OUT of the charging base (as in using in tabletop or pointer mode) I need the power button ON.

Because the base has power you are seeing the charge taking place, you only need the switch on when using it as a portable unit.

4 Likes

Is there a difference in the audio between the TV connector and the Roger ON ?

1 Like

It’s subjective from what I’ve read on here.
I think the tv connector has more umph, @1Bluejay thinks the reverse.
I always use optical feed which makes a big difference.

Bingo! Thanks so much! :grinning:

I have a very aberrational setup at home - not of my choosing, but what came with the house we bought. There is a wizard’s closet of ALL the electronics the house runs on: lights, shades, home music system, wi-fi, internet, home theatre … did I miss anything?

Wizard’s Closet:

Audio IN:
Audio IN

See where the GREEN cable plugs in at ZONE2? That’s the only port where my streamer works.

As a result, the audio for my streamer (whether TV Connector or Roger ON iN) has to be routed through a Marantz receiver. I actually DID like the sound quality of the TV Connector all the years I used it. It is richer and more “dedicated” and sterophonic than the Roger.

But as time goes on, I need the Roger to use in gatherings, restaurants, on the road in hotels, etc., and it is simply WAY more multi-use than the single-purpose TV Connector. So I’m not complaining about the Roger, but the sound quality is a bit harsh and public address-like.

Even so! It helps me hear like just about anywhere! I can be across the house in the kitchen or laundry room and still stream the TV. LOVE IT!

Have you calibrated the flux capacitor?

2 Likes

In the case of my RogerOn and RogerSelect, and the 2x TV’s I use (Samsung and Panasonic, using the same Toslink cable), the Phonak TV Connector gives full stereo sound, whereas both Roger devices give mono.

I’ve fiddled about in the TV’s settings, but can’t get them to transmit in full stereo. The mono feed does go to both ears, however.

Peter

Peter, I noticed you have mentioned the stereo/mono issue in a few threads. May I ask, what make and model of hearing aid are you using?

@thecaz
Phonak Marvel M70 with RogerX(2) & RogerX(3)
and
Phonak Paradise 90 13T with 2x RogerX(3)

Wasn’t sure if this question was directed at me and the wizard’s closet setup?

But just for the record, streaming is A-OK these days thanks to an extra long cable that connects to that green AudioQuest cable plugged in to the Marantz. I now have the Roger base placed across the room from that spaghetti junction going on in the closet. That physical separation seems to have fixed the few months of constant, never-ending interference that cut off my streaming.

Oh. And a lightning strike that cooked everything IN that closet has been fixed over the past several months, too, so it could be a multi-factorial thing that happened here. :thinking:

Sorry @1Bluejay, just my sense of humour.
@PeterH , the phonak website says stereo for the ON, I found it from FAQ on the app. It is not clear if it’s source dependent.

@michael1
Both the On and Select have Dolby written all over the base stations. Still only mono to both sets of aids. Unplug the Toslink, and plug it into the TV Connector, and I get stereo. Very strange.

LOL! No wonder it fell on a BRICK … that is to say, my BRAIN! I’ve had such a frustrating time with the erratic streaming that I’d have stood on my head with a goldfish between my toes if someone told me THAT’S what will fix the issue! :sweat_smile: