How to turn off ringtone in my Phonak Marvel M90-R hearing aids?

I love my M90Rs. My only issue is bluetooth - when I unpair or even turn off bluetooth, I have a dickens of a time re-pairing (it often multiple reboots of both devices, etc.). This isn’t a day-to-day problem - I can turn off my phone, charge my hearing aids, and when I turn either back on, all is well.

My problem: I need to figure out a way to quickly disconnect the telephone ringer at times (I’m a lawyer, and often in court). All my other notifications are off, but I need telephone notification when I’m not in court. Turning down phone system volume doesn’t work, and for obvious reasons, I don’t want to turn down the volume of the HAs. I wrote to Phonak, and received the following response: “Thank you for contacting Phonak with your inquiry. Even when the phone is muted, it is still communicating with any Bluetooth connected device via Hands Free Bluetooth Protocol. The only way to prevent the phone from sending the signal is to turn off the phone Bluetooth.”

There’s nothing worse than being in court, in the middle of questioning a witness (or worse, trying to hear the judge), and your phone starts ringing in your ear. Any suggestions from this knowledgeable group? If re-pairing were easy, unpairing would be the solution.

Can you just put the phone in airplane mode and then take it out after court?

Turning off Bluetooth on your phone is simple.
Turning it back on is also simple.
As is turning your phone off and then back on.

1 Like

I wish that were true. It’s true with every one of my other bluetooth devices, but not with my Phonaks.

Good idea, but I have to maintain connectivity to documents, calendars, etc.

Phone Do Not Disturb mode? Should silence all notifications while active unless you let certain people come through…

Are you pairing with an Android phone? With my Android phone I can just disable bluetooth for the phone.

I go into Settings, then Connected Devices, then, next to the R-Phonak hearing aid is a Settings gear icon. When I tap on it, it shows 3 settings: Phone calls, Media Audio and Contact Sharing. I just switch off the Phone calls and then I can silence my phone. No more being disturbed by phone calls ringing in my aids.

1 Like

Sadly, when I disable my bluetooth for Phonak calls, it never wants to reconnect without rebooting both phone and HAs, sometimes repeatedly. I, too, am android, S10, Android v. 10.

You can disconnect & reconnect from & to Bluetooth without turning Bluetooth off

I don’t think I’m being clear: I know how to turn off bluetooth, I know how to turn it on for phone and/or media, I know how to pair, I’m really pretty good with technology. In my case - and apparently not for others, when I disconnect my HAs from bluetooth (i.e., “unpair”) OR I disconnect phone and/or media, OR I disconnect phone only, I am unable to reconnect my HAs without substantial work. I’m glad others don’t have this glitch.

I have the same situation. I turn off the right HA [red] then turn it on and phone automatically connects.

That’s weird. I have an S10+ on Android 10 Feb update and I can definitely disconnect and reconnect my HAs from BT. I do it several times a day at work.

I had an Android phone years ago and I had a ring tone that was named silent, I didn’t have HAs at the time, but if I selected that ring tone the phone wouldn’t ring. Check for a silent ring tone.

“Unpairing” is more draconian and will require the use of a ‘key.’ This would be a ‘forget’ in android- speak, better to merely toggle the ‘connect’ button in the Settings/BT/device string.

@VinceJ Good catch. You could forget too. On the iPhone, there is a choice to “Forget this Device.” I had the M90R and loved it for the clearer sound.

I had to return the M90R I had because I am having CI surgery in a week and a half due to SSHD and a ReSound aid is the only aid that syncs with the Nucleus 7 I am getting.

I was in a meeting, but had my iPhone on silent, thinking that would keep calls from ringing in my ear. Nope, my husband called me and I sent the call to voice mail by pressing and holding the button on the aid a couple of seconds. That was my first experience of that happening.

On the iPhone, I don’t know if it’s the same with Android, if you look in the bluetooth setting, you’ll see Phonak Hearing Aids listed twice or maybe four times if you have a left and right aid. Because I only had the left, my bluetooth would show L - Phonak Hearing Aid in my case (and possibly R - Phonak Hearing Aid for the right?) this would be the hearing aid. Then below it was LE_L - Phonak Hearing Aid, this would be the app. Now, I think I just disconnected the aid from the phone, not forget this device, anyway it caused me to miss a phone call. No ringing in my ear, nothing. All I did since the aids and program were still in my phone was to go into bluetooth and tap the the L - Phonak Hearing Aid on the list of devices. It would re-connect immediately. No turning off and re-booting the aids or the phone. I also think “Forget” would also work, but that would involve the phone to “search” for the aids. Now I have an iPhone and things could work differently in an Android device.

That seems to be the problem you are having - disconnecting is not the same as unpairing.