How to tell the Oticon (Philips) open bass dome from the older open dome

I ordered what were said to be open bass Oticon domes from Amazon but the packaging only says open. I noticed other online packaging does in fact say open bass. These do look different to me too and suddenly I had more feedback with them. Went to Costco to get the open bass domes and they seemed to give me the exact same dome. I had some smaller (6mm) open bass domes and they venting in fact does look a lot different to me. I attached two pics with the Costco and Amazon domes and another with the smaller 6mm open bass dome. I did find a seller on ebay where the packaging does say open bass and should get those in a week or so. I would not have expected to Costco to NOT give me the right domes but maybe they don’t know they are handing out the older style?

After more research tonight I found a great pic of the open bass dome. That Amazon site is selling the older open dome and even my Costco is giving them out saying they are open bass, which they are not. I noticed more feedback right away with the older design too and could not figure it out for a while. https://www.mysecondear.com/products/philips-minifit-openbass-domes

1 Like

I think there’s a fatal flaw here for hearing aids.

A little piece that can’t cost more than 5 cents to make can corrupt how our massively expensive hearing aids perform. I’ve had 2 audis forget to change the setting for domes in Target after saying I needed to change.

I wore my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s for a year saying to the dispensing audi I couldn’t hear, and I thought there was something wrong with the setup. Back then I ahd the most open domes. One day I stuck a finger in each ear. My hearing aids were much louder. Next visit I got closed domes (2 small holes; they made a difference). Then later…power domes. Oh. And changed the receivers to more powerful ones when I asked why I had the weekest ones…And finally he suggested I find someone new to help me. In every instance he did REM following hearing tests.
That’s two fatal flaws.

• find a skilled set-up person is the second one…
1 Like

Yes today the 2nd CostCo immediately gave me the right domes, open bass. Their fitter is a lot better too and listens where my Costco fitter can’t be told she’s wrong, lol. But I am going back to show them the difference between the open and open bass domes at least. For me I found that the Philips 9030 was so easy to make minor changes that made a huge difference for me especially with music so I have become that “skilled” set up person, lol. I can’t do REM and will rely on this 2nd Costco to do that when the 9050’s come out.

Oh while not ready for more closed domes yet, I think I am right on the border and probably a retest will show I might need to go in the same direction as you did. I hate the occlusion of more closed domes and did try the double vented domes initially.

1 Like

There’s too much talking in code with our hearing aids. Prevents real learning for me