How to clean domes

So this might be a stupid question but how do you clean the wire and domes to your hearing aids. I am very good about keeping wax cleaned out of my ears but even still ear wax is sticky and thus the domes do get a little bit of wax on them. You are not suppose to get the aids wet but using a dry cloth on sticky wax does not seem to be the solution to cleaning my domes. So what is the correct solution?

Thanks
Staci

I struggled trying to keep the domes in my hearing aids clean with tissue and/or a brush, but it was generally an exercise in frustration. Buying a Jodi-Vac consumer model took care of the problem very effectively. I wouldn’t be without mine.

I use small (1 sq.in.) alcohol prep wipes on them about once a week. Remember these are disposable domes and should be replaced monthly. In between the weekly alcohol wipe down you can use antibacterial hand wipes daily. Remove the dome from the receiver if needed.

I got a “special” cleaning brush & it was suggested to clean 1st thing in the morning as the wax has then dried overnite and is ez to brush off. Very similar to a “pipe cleaner” if you know what that is.

I am cutting back to every other or every three days, I think over cleaning is not necessary.

I wipe mine down daily with alcohol wipes (the little ones used for injection site prep). I wipe the entire aid just prior to putting in the dryer for the night.

domes should be replaced once every few months. but in the mean time I clean mine with alcohol wipes that you get in packs of 100 prior to wearing them (i wait for a few seconds for them to dry before putting them on). I also on occasions use a uv dry and store. I believe the following is the same thing I have and cheaper.

On even rarely occasions I use a jodi vac mostly for the microphone openings which I recommend all to just to get on ebay. imo $100 is too expensive to buy these things new when they are built like tanks.

— Updated —

domes should be replaced once every few months. but in the mean time I clean mine with alcohol wipes that you get in packs of 100 prior to wearing them (i wait for a few seconds for them to dry before putting them on). I also on occasions use a uv dry and store. I believe the following is the same thing I have and cheaper.

On even rarely occasions I use a jodi vac mostly for the microphone openings which I recommend all to just to get on ebay. imo $100 is too expensive to buy these things new when they are built like tanks.

Ok so you all are talking about some dryer thingy doohicky! Yep those are technical terms! LOL

I any event is that something that is necessary? I guess I am confused. My audiologist said that my aids were extremely water resistant. That I don’t have to worry too much about getting them wet and that if I would accidentally forget I could even shower with them on and they would be fine. He said that they are marketed by sales reps by putting them in a glass of water and letting them sit for the entire sales pitch and then pulled out and they are functioning just fine. So I guess I don’t understand why a dryer would be necessary if they are so water resistant. That was a big seller to me as I am around water a lot in the summer and if some dumb idiot thought they would be funny and push me into a pool at at BBQ I didn’t have to worry that my aids were destroyed.

Maybe I am misinformed?

My HA’s are IP57 rated:

"IP57 indicates that the hearing aid is water resistant and dust protected. It survived immersion in 1m of water for

30 minutes and 8 hours in a dust chamber as per the IEC60529 standard"

The real world is that I got caught in a hard rain for about 30 seconds in July 2014 before I could get under cover. The left one was not working when I got inside. After two days in my dryer it started working again and then two weeks ago it died completely. It was replaced under warranty.

Remember that the sales rep only cares that his samples are working immediately after the demo is over. In real world it is our money that we are risking. I view water resistance as a plus, but I’m not going to intentionally tease the gorilla by putting them in water.

— Updated —

My HA’s are IP57 rated:

"IP57 indicates that the hearing aid is water resistant and dust protected. It survived immersion in 1m of water for

30 minutes and 8 hours in a dust chamber as per the IEC60529 standard"

The real world is that I got caught in a hard rain for about 30 seconds in July 2014 before I could get under cover. The left one was not working when I got inside. After two days in my dryer it started working again and then two weeks ago it died completely. It was replaced under warranty.

Remember that the sales rep only cares that his samples are working immediately after the demo is over. In real world it is our money that we are risking. I view water resistance as a plus, but I’m not going to intentionally tease the gorilla by putting them in water.

Using a dryer overnight (I use the one I got from Costco) also dries out the wax, and makes it more readily crumble off when poked at with the wire cleaner.

Regards,

Ira Z.

I have Phonak Audeos.
Some audiologists prefer that you simply wipe the domes with a dry cloth and then buy replacements from them every three months.
They might even give them to you for free, but not once a week.
My domes get a significant amount of sticky wax on them, so I clean them and replace with clean ones once a week.
My domes are the open kind, made of grey silicone (rubbery) and so are easy to wash. (I don’t use alcohol or wipes, or chemicals other than very dilute dish soap.)
I have a small glass jar with a top. I put the domes in the container, with enough very, very dilute dish soap solution to barely cover them, then shake well and leave them for an a few hours, or overnight so that the wax softens.
Then, fill the bathroom sink with water and massage the domes in the water to get all the junk and soap off, then pinch dry in a towel. Leave them sit in the air on a kleenex to be sure they are totally dry.
Replacement domes for my hearing aids at Amazon, cost about 60 cents each. I have about 20 domes, and I replace this supply with all new ones about once a year.
I use a loupe weekly to check if the wax traps have any junk in them. If they look OK, I don’t replace them. My wax traps on Amazon are $2.25 each, a pair is $4.50, so I try not to replace them too often, but on the average, about every two months.

Costco gives me as many free domes and wax guards as I want.

I clean the domes with a dry cloth, and replace domes and wax guards (for free) every 2 months.

On the domes themselves, not the receivers, a cheap ultrasonic cleaner with a mild soap solution works well. A thorough rinse with water would probably be advisable to get rid of traces that might be irritant to the ear canal.

I use a 5 in 1 cleaning kit, bought in Amazon to clean my HA including the domes. I do it every 2 or 3 times a week with a alcohol wipe also to leave it shinny. Bellow you can find the link to the cleaning kit.

Its cheap, easy to use and the magnet is the most used by myself to avoid droping and later loosing by batteries (size 312).

Regards

very good looking kit, I shall look for a UK equivalent

Domes can be cleaned simply by running them under warm to hot water. Take them off first, of course. They come off very easy and go back on very easy. There is no need to go to any special trouble.

Ear Wax dissolves and rinses away very easily with just warm running water. Keep spares handy in case one should tear or if one gets lost down the sink. Use the sink strainer. Dry it off with a paper towel and make sure it is dry where it presses onto the receiver. If worried about it not being fully dry; replace it with a spare and let the one you just rinsed dry overnight.

The instruction to simply rinse domes clean under running water came from my Widex Unique Fusion 330 RIC/RITE user manual. The method works great!

1 Like

I clean my domes simply by wiping them after I take them off at night and put them in my UV/dryer. Then in the morning before I put them on I brush them with the little brush that came with my HAs. Often I notice a few flakes of dried wax coming off when I brush them. The dryer probably dries and hardens any wax deposits during the night. This is the procedure my HIS suggested for me.

Where do you get the water resistant rating, as I’ve not seen it mentioned for Phonak or Resound (maybe…coz they aren’t? <G>).

Thanks.

All the major brands have a nano coating that is typically IP57 or better. Wikipedia has a nice explanation of IP ratings.

1 Like

IP Rating Chart:

First Digit (intrusion protection)

1. Protection from a large part of the body such as a hand (but no protection from deliberate access); from solid objects greater than 50mm in diameter.
  2. Protection against fingers or other object not greater than 80mm in length and 12mm in diameter.
  3. Protection from entry by tools, wires etc, with a diameter of 2.5 mm or more.
  4. Protection against solid bodies larger than 1mm (eg fine tools/small etc).
  5. Protected against dust that may harm equipment.
  6. Totally dust tight.

Second Digit (moisture protection)

1. Protection against condensation.
  2. Protection against water droplets deflected up to 15° from vertical
  3. Protected against spray up to 60° from vertical.
  4. Protected against water spray from all directions.
  5. Protection against low pressure water jets (all directions)
  6. Protection against string water jets and waves.
  7. Protected against temporary immersion.
  8. Protected against prolonged effects of immersion under pressure.

Don’t put your trust in IP ratings. Protect your HAs in every way possible. Use HA sweat bands as a standard practice. Technology ends at the chip, the thing you pay big bucks for. Structurally, HAs lack much integrety. They are environmentally prone to damage.