How often do you upgrade your hearing aids? [POLL]

Our Government gives us a new voucher every 5 yrs for a new pair. We can get it earlier if our hearing deteriorates and we need to change from RIC to BTE aids.

1 Like

Every 4 years. But this is the first time I am anticipating only a marginal improvement because the industry seems to be focused on rechargeables and direct bluetooth connectivity, which doesn’t interest me whatsoever.

2 Likes

I will actually replace them when they start failing. While I work in IT, so I tend to be a techie. I don’t have the money to throw around just because I want the latest and greatest. Even if I did have the money, I wouldn’t. I am in my 4th year with my current hearing aids, I had my first set about 6 years when they started failing so I replaced them.

2 Likes

My insurance covers a set of aids every three years. BUT, it’s a high deductible plan. My deductible is $3000. So I plan to upgrade every three years, as long as other medical expenses eat up that deductible first. If by chance I have minimal medical expenses when the time comes due, I will just wait for a high medical expense year, provided the aids are still working well.

My cycle is every five years. I seem to get the ones that have been out a year or two; which is fine for me as they tend to have the bugs figured out.

He is saying he has had HA’s for four years and needs to replace them.

No, I am not.
I bought 4 sets this year in the process of learning what aids best fit my needs. My hearing changed a bunch a year or so ago. Have done the self programming thing for 10 years. Always bought used aids. Never had hearing aid insurance and not a vet. Guessing around 8 sets in this 10 years.

1 Like

When I was under the NHS, I usually got upgrades every six years although it was meant to be every three. But the NHS never updated that regularly. Now I have gone private, it’ll probably be four to five years.

Too many variables to suggest there is some timeline to replace a hearing aid. Cost, limited technology changes, hearing level doesn’t change, Audi input, etc. Some people replace cars every 60,000 miles, some replace 100,000 miles and some replace over 200,000 miles. You can’t put a time frame on when a hearing aid should be upgraded because it varies from user to user. And of course digital hearing aids can be adjusted for one’s hearing loss if there is a change in hearing level. Why upgrade to a new hearing aid if Audi can adjust current aid to compensate for hearing changes?

3 Likes

מכשיר של פואנק
כן נצרך ייבוש בלילה

Yes they do. For best longevity.

I am a technology slut! If I see some really neat feature that I think might help me hear better, I just have to have it. That has worked out about every 2 years so far.

I pass on my old aids to family and friends. :hear_no_evil: :hear_with_hearing_aid:

4 Likes

The best technology for me has been the streaming from my iPhone to BOTH ears. I do pretty good on the phone again. Unfortunately, understanding speech in noise has not improved despite the claims from the manufacturers. Until the algorithms can be improved significantly, I will not buy another set of aids for a long time.

3 Likes

I have no insurance except the $500 every 5 years that my medicare advantage pays. So I will upgrade when I can afford a new phone AND new hearing aids to DUMP the iPhone!!

In the past I have upgraded my Resound hearing aids every 2-3 years. I last upgraded to Resound Quattro after 1 year of use of the previous model because, for me, the hearing quality was so much better.

1 Like

Sorry but nothing in life is free. They may be ‘giving’ you new HAs, but somebody is paying for them.

2 Likes

Numerous studies have shown that untreated hearing loss costs a society real money (think a hit in productivity and GDP) … So, while tax payers might be paying for hearing loss “treatment” (hearing aids), it is society that is a beneficiary. So, you’re right, they’re not “free” … but the value delivered to society is greater than the cost (tax burden).

2 Likes

I had planned for one more year on my five year old aids, but my dog managed to grab one off my night stand and chewed it up. I’m now retired and Medicare doesn’t provide any coverage except getting a discount through my advantage plan. Which amounts to nothing. So I’m going to Costco for the next set. The idea of spending $5000 dollars for a set of aids is simply unacceptable.

1 Like

@bvail Yes I’ve paid my taxes for 53 yrs, and the voucher system for people on pensions only covers the lowest tier, the most basic HA of whatever brand best suits your hearing needs. If you require any assistive listening devices etc that require BT or other form of technology. You have to pay the difference.

As I now have a CI I have an Enzo2 5 the very basic level of Enzo2 that does have BT. Even though my N7 has direct streaming, this level of Enzo is so basic I need a phone clip to stream to both ears. Yes I could have purchased a Quattro, but the Enzo does the job I require… It didn’t cost me anything, when it needs replacing it’s only going to be a $30.00 fee.

1 Like

That is me too. What HAs do you presently have. My Word recognition is 75% in both ears. I love the IPhone streaming to both ears for phone calls and music and the TV streamer is great. I have Signia Pure 13 BT HAs. I’m happy with them. Struggling w/ the new IOS 13, which doesn’t have to do w/ HAs but BT. :roll_eyes:.