How much does the plug mold shape affect the thud thud of footsteps?

With my latest set of hearing aids I’m noticing the thud thud of footsteps a lot more, particularly when running.
The new plugs extend a bit deeper into the ear than the old ones.

Is it likely to be an effect of the new plugs or is it a physiological effect?

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have shallow molded plugs with vents. I can’t use domes because of the feedback.

(I didn’t get the chance to try the old plugs with the new aids because one of them physically broke, so I got new plugs and aids at the same time).

Are you missing some of the crispness? It could be that your programming changed some and you need a tweak. Was REM performed? This would tell if you are receiving what you need in each ear. Your own preferences may also go into programming so don’t feel like you can’t give feedback to your HCP to make changes to make it how you want it.

WH

Hard to say without more info. Sounds like it might be related to occlusion. Does your voice sound louder or do you notice chewing sounds more?

3 Likes

I will assume plugs are earmolds.

The thuds sure sound like occlusion. Almost like your heartbeat in your ears. Does this sound right?

If this is the case bigger vents might help and still not have feedback issues. Talk to your fitter about this.

Occlusion is something you will get used to pretty quickly if the vent size is correct for your fitting.

2 Likes

Yes that’s what I mean. (Sorry @WhiteHat if I did not make that clear enough in my original message).

I have talked to my fitter but we don’t share a native language so it’s quite difficult to get across my thoughts with regard to programming and mold comfort. Thus I’m trying to learn as much myself, so I can hone in on the problem and not muddy our conversations.

If it is a problem with the mold, an option is for me to ship a new mold to the old shape, from my old audiologist back in the mother country.

This might not be possible if you have RIC HAs. They try to get the receiver much further into the ear than tradional moulds with tubes.