How do we select which brand of cochlear implant?

cant go wrong with Sonova. They are #1 hearing company in the world.

I would also consider Cochlear as that is the number 1 cochlear implant in the world

However, AB is going to challenge Cochlear in the near future

1 Like

the integration with remote mics, which I assume they do should also

be consideration. Here Sonova has the upper hand

My friend has just qualified for a CI here in the UK.

She has chosen Cochlear and has decided to stick with her Phonak Naida M70 SP in her other ear.

She doesn’t use Bluetooth. I’ve been trying to get her to start using Bluetooth but been unsuccessful so far.

1 Like

Tony - you ask really good questions yet have mostly gotten general replies.

I’ll go in a different direction and suggest you find out -

Which CI brands have had the most recalls or operating complaints.

Do CI brands offer success/failure ratio?

What is the cost for each CI brand and size comparison, etc.

I would not buy the standard line “they all work the same”. Just like all HA’s don’t work the same.

1 Like

@Tony3 , @SayAgain3 is correct. Ensure with which company you would have the least bothersome support.

Perhaps:

1. A support center (e.g., for service visits) from one company is near you, while the other company is farther away?

2. What about replacement parts and their costs?

3. Does the audiologist who would adjust your sound processor have experience with that company’s product?

1 Like

@Tony3 I also recommend the Cochlear Implant Experiences group on Facebook:

@Tony3 I know, based on real comparison, the Speechprocessor from AdvancedBionics “CI-M90 Sky” for Babies an young children sounds more harder than the normal Model for adults “CI-M90” with the same mapping. I suspect, that there are also different “sounds” between the products of the 3 brands. You should ask “your” technician for CI, what his/her opinion is, which product has the softliest sound because of your distortion. That was only one aspect for chosen a brand. Another aspects are the connectivity to other equipment like telephon, TV, hearingaids, … and also the medical aspects.