How do the Jabra Enhance Pro 10 / ReSound Omnia compare to the Oticon Real 1?

Apparently, the Jabra Enhance Pro 10 are the Costco version of the ReSound Omnia — hopefully more or less like the ReSound Omnia 9?

Both the Jabra Enhance Pro / ReSound Omnia make considerable claims about their ability to help the user distinguish speech in background noise (note that I’m coming from the Whispers…). One of the problems with Cliff Olson’s YouTube videos is that they mostly don’t make comparisons between hearing aids in terms of various parameters. Surely this is possible!

Does anyone have any experience with the JEP / RSO vs. the Oticon Real 1s in terms of their ability to separate speech from background noise?

How do they compare in other respects? The Oticons are obviously MUCH more expensive.

1 Like

Why not trial them yourself, no one else can possibly say which of them will “be the one” for you, as you know, some will say ReSound other’s will say Oticon and yet others will say Phonak etc

They are the same, but the prices and totally different!

Marketing department working overtime… again.

Either you test it yourself or used a machine to test it - orange to orange or apple to apple.

Some sort of standard ear would have to be defined for tests that compare HAs. If your ears vary too much from the standard, test would not be valid for you. If the test environment doesn’t match the environment you are in most, the test won’t be valid for you. If your preferences for sound are different from the values used in the test, the test won’t be valid for you.

That’s what tests do: they define hearing environments. Just because there’s variability doesn’t mean that it’s pointless. Comparison test of audio equipment such as speakers are widespread, and yet the sound environments can be different just like the sound preferences.

The whole hearing aid field is reallyl a free for all.

1 Like

At this point, individual testing is the best approach we have.

What we don’t have is a way to compare aids, because individual variability is too great. I can figure out something about the best HA for me via trials and testing, but no comparative test will tell any person how a specific aid will help that person.

The most vital part of the chain in audio processing is one’s brain, and what one does with one’s attention when listening. This’d be very hard to standardize/model even for 1 person. While and many people read other people’s comments about what they like/dislike about the sound quality and their hearing exp. with a model of HAs, someone else even with a very similar audiogram is likely (even in very similar acoustic/audio environment) to have different exp. and then write up that exp. in a post on forum in different manner. I still read people’s comments and form hypothesis about what my own exp. might be like, but truly the proof is in the pudding and testing things out for oneself.

Just taking something seemingly somewhat simpler “user exp. in pairing HAs with smartphone AND staying connected” … this is far simpler but even with idetnical HAs model and identical smartphone model people have different reports. Assuming it isn’t user error, given this variability, I hold out very little hope for objective/meaningful comparisons of HAs. In addition the skill and exp of a fitter or audi in tweaking the HAs to the user AND to that persons brain and hearing preferences is also part of the mix.

I am about via Costco to do a trial of Phillips 9040s and/or Jabra Pro 10. I’ll be curious to hear whether my own exp. resembles what some others have described - and not holding my breath that there will be tons of overlap.

Good luck to you.

3 Likes

I just ordered my first ever HA, Philips 9040 at Costco, without really trying it first, as seems to be suggested here. I did this because I have read many very positive reviews about the Philips. Also, I don’t believe that I can adequately judge a HA without it being adjusted for just me, over weeks and weeks. I was told that the Jabra is also very good, but I doubted that I could really judge it without the many tweaks I expect to need. I understand, if I’m dissatisfied with the Philips, I can return it within 6 months, and I would then order the Jabra. I’m comfortable doing this, but I don’t think everyone here would agree.

1 Like