How Confirm Serial # On Aids

I bought a pair of Widex Moment Sheers online from a dispenser that supposedly specialized in remote support. First pair had to go back because one aid wouldn’t charge/hold a charge. Had a talk with a tech person who suggested various things I had already tried and so agreed they should come back. Today the replacements arrived and they are clearly used. Packaging missing, charger all scuffed, no user manual or warranty info, and the same receivers (I needed the next size up and had discussed this with them) amongst other things. I would honestly expect a better presentation if I had purchased used aids off EBay…

I also am concerned that the aids are the ones I returned even though there is a different number listed on the box. I see nothing on the aids, but there is some very small lettering on an access panel. Does the bluetooth app that accompanies them (the one you download to your smart phone) show which serial number they are? Is the SN possibly on the outside of the access panel?

The people I have dealt with at this company have been very helpful but I am starting to lose confidence. I am over 3 weeks into placing an order and don’t have working aids, have not even made it to the point of tuning them with a tech and the clock on “unconditional” return is ticking.

So these are the rechargeable models you’ll need the App or to connect to compass software to get the serial numbers, lucky you kept a record of the originals.

I just downloaded the app and nowhere does it tell you the serial number or even what model HA I have. There is a firmware number for the HA and that is it.
Aside from the technology behind the aid I am increasingly underwhelmed by Widex. They make it impossible for a user to ask even a simple question–like are these people authorized vendors–much less, how do I find the serial number on the actual aid. Other companies tell you how to get this information on their website.

I got the distinct impression from the tech I spoke to that they have a known issue with charging. There is fairly minimal functionality on their app. If I can get a new pair that will charge, I am pretty sure I can figure out all the rest, but I do have concerns that these aids will go the distance, as in last for 3 years (and personally I had hoped for more).

Do you know if they are the only HA manufacturer with fast signal processing? I think they claim .5 milliseconds. It supposedly reduces or eliminates comb effect.

Well I think the first thing is you do need to trial the HAs before purchasing, it’s the only way to know which HAs you like, just going blind like this is no guarantee things are going to work out, if I remember I mentioned Costco even tho you didn’t have one near by, also this is another reason I like the disposable battery versions, it’s written up inside the battery door, actually if I remember right for the moment should have a ID plate fixed on the inner surface that states the model/serial number, I don’t know about the sheer, your right I only see the firmware version in the App…well I can also say that the Signia models you can pop off the rocker switch and it’s written there, Phonak has a coloured plastic plate that you can remove to see the numbers, this for the rechargeable models.

At the “moment” no one else just Widex, but seriously you can’t read to much into the marketing department hype about what it’s capable of doing in a test laboratory, every manufacturer makes all sorts of claims about how good their products are over anyone else, a trial period is the only true way for “you” to know 100%.
Hopefully someone who owns the sheer models will chime in on the “hidden” serial numbers mystery.

I am going to tag along on my husband’s next trip to Costco. I don’t know if they will let me do a walk in to try aids or not, but I will see. They are usually booked a couple months out for things like hearing tests, but I have a current audiogram. I will do some further reading on what they have on offer. It is too bad they aren’t partnering with Phonak any more. My husband is thrilled with his Kirkland aids. I am going to get a jewelers loop and see if I can read what is written on the inside of my aids–there is something there. Many thanks.

1 Like

This is a good idea, yeah hopefully you’ll be able to at least get a short trial in the office, I think they’ll want to set up another appointment just for you tho, to do their own hearing test etc, hopefully Sonova models will have a comeback show at Costco sooner rather than later!

The Widex aids went back. The CSR’s were pretty horrified by what happened. Said that my trial period would not begin until I had working aids in hand, tuned, etc. So that much is reassuring. Few people want to give bad service tbh. But I am still doing some further research. Thanks for all the help!