How are the Whisper users doing?

I started a Whisper trial about a year and a half ago. I had a thread where I compared Whisper to my (at the time) less-than-one-year-old Oticon Mores.

The comparison was close, but I decided not to get the Whispers. But Whisper said I could do another trial this year if I wanted. I can get an insurance benefit this year that should cover the cost of the Whispers entirely. But I don’t want to do another trial unless there’s reason to think that they are better now than before the most recent update.

So I want to ask @billgem @x475aws @happymach @Abarsanti and @cminchik (and any other Whisper wearers) about what is the current state of Whisper?

It looks like the last software update was over a year ago, in March 2022. I had returned my trial Whispers by then so I didn’t experience that update. I see that @billgem said that update made a big difference for him. But I didn’t see any other users comment on whether they noticed a difference. Did anyone else notice a significant improvement in speech comprehension with that update?

Has anyone heard about any new software updates that are imminent? I really had the impression that Whisper planned to have three or four software updates per year. That hasn’t happened. How about the new hardware?

I wonder how Whisper is doing as a company. Their lease price has been cut in half since the original Whisper was released. That has to require some painful adjustments to their revenue projections. I have heard that venture capital has been harder to get as interest rates have gone up. I wonder if they are having trouble competing for AI talent, especially with OpenAI and Google right in the same neighborhood.

I really want Whisper to make it. But I’m a bit concerned. Has anyone heard anything about how the company is doing? I realize that they are unlikely to share such information with customers, but maybe maybe someone has heard something?

I heard - not confirmed - they let a lot of people go.

1 Like

The site https://layoffs.fyi/ tracks tech layoffs. You can read about it in https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/05/business/roger-lee-layoffs.html. layoffs.fyi has no entries for Whisper.

The lower price is for support directly from Whisper, not through an audiologist, while some of the revenue from the higher price is/was shared with an audiologist, so it’s not a direct comparison. FWIW, as of May 5th “Pricing” was removed from the top menu.

I’m not confident in giving a detailed comparison of the 5th vs. 4th software update. But I can say that the 5th update immediately sounded different to me, so it might also be different for you.

My sense is that while Whisper may, or may not, be using AI in a pioneering way for hearing aids, they aren’t stretching the bounds of the AI field. So they don’t need the OpenAI type of talent. I think Whisper’s challenge is more in the digital signal processing area.

Yes, Whisper has planned 3-4 updates per year and initially kept to that schedule but have not maintained it in the past year. I was told by my audiologist that they have concentrated their resources on developing a 2nd generation, which is expected some time this spring.

I am thrilled with my Whispers and look forward to what improvements may be in store with the next generation.

Did you hear that from a reliable source?

There’s a video on Youtube that’s about 3 days old. It’s Andrew Song talking about himself and his philosophy on life basically. He doesn’t come across as someone whose company is about to fold. For what it’s worth…

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your replies. That video was actually pretty inspiring. I was especially interested when he said, at about 11:25 in the video, something like that the existing hearing improvement technology is far beyond what is actually in existing products today.

THAT’S what I’m hoping to get from Whisper: getting that advanced technology into an actual functioning physical product. When Whisper releases its 2.0 version hardware (and, presumably, new software) I’ll almost certainly give it a try.

The Whispers I tried a year and a half ago were about on par for speech comprehension with the Oticon Mores I was comparing them with. That’s pretty impressive from a very young, small company that built a product from scratch. Maybe their upcoming new product will be superior to the major manufacturers’ existing products. I hope so.

1 Like

Is that someone I’d like to see in charge of a company that makes medical devices which improves my life? Sure would. Wait, he is in charge of the company which makes the medical device which I use to improve my life.

This was a fantastic tape. My wife and I listened to it. She was impressed with his sincerity. I was impressed with his commitment to the end user. It gives me a lot of confidence in what they’re doing at Whisper. Thanks for posting it.

You’re welcome and I agree. Even if we acknowledge that it is a promotional video, there’s a lot to like.

they had Don Schum on board, I bet he wouldn’t have not joined the ranks unless
they are on to something. But knowing what I know in the industry they have a Hughe
battle, as it takes very large resources, marketing , regulatory, quality, supply chain etc etc

It they are really on to something, chances are they willl be bought for a very very large premium. While GN is in financial trouble , I can see them making a move.