Hollow tubes vs wired speaker

Hi everyone, I’ve been around for a while checking things out but have not posted. This question convinced me to sign up and make my first post.

I have a moderate hearing loss and I’ve been using an RIC for the past 8 years in my Oticon hearing aids. I switched audiologists (I like them both, but the new one is less expensive) and my new audiologist advises against them because of the high replacement cost if anything goes wrong. I assumed they would help to improve my hearing, but he had me try the tubes and compare, and I personally could not tell a difference. That’s not to say that other users wouldn’t see a difference, or that I would be unable to differentiate in all conditions and circumstances.

Thanks for your question. I need to buy new hearing aids and haven’t decided which direction to go with them, so I’m eager to hear the responses of those who are better informed. I hope this thread will continue!

1 Like

What was at the end of the tubes? Was it a dome? Just curious because I was wondering about shifting from the RIC to a type of HAs whereby the sound comes down the plastic tube to the ear. BTW, anyone know the proper terminology for the HAs that are behind the ear and use the tubes vice a RIC?

Also, FYI, I was talking to my audiologist about moving up to a set of HAs that is controllable by a smartphone app. She was very enthusiastic about the Oticon HA IF one wanted to control them via a smartphone app.

Tubes are BTE aids.

I don’t see the high replacement cost unless it is cheaper because you pay for all support. If that is the case, you price reduction should be 50% in ala carte pricing. Otherwise, you can get them online for that or a bit less and pay him per visit with the online vendor giving you at least a two year warranty for repairs. You new guy sounds like he’d charge you for all repairs and pocket that.

BTE tubes need replacement about every 6 months. Will he charge you for that?

Look to Costco for a longer warranty coupled to lower price.

Hearing aids “with tubes” are BTEs (Behind the Ear) . BTEs can be further differntiated by being “thin tube” as well as the standard sized tube. The classic reason to use a BTE is if you need more power as RICs have pretty powerful receivers now.

Although Oticon Opns have a great reputation, they are not known for having a great app. Resound Linx 3D (or Forte 8 from Costco) have great apps.

FWIW, a good friend of mine, another senior, got his first pair of RIC HAs from an audiologist with sterling ratings. Next pair he got was Oticons, RIC, at COSTCO. He paid about 50% less for them at COSTCO and he said, just last week, that he has been completely satisfied with their sales and service.
That said, I live in an area which has a quarterly publication (Washington Consumer Checkbook), a local equivalent of Consumer Reports, which rates service providers: doctors, dentists, audiologists, painters, etc. They list the HA services of the 1/2 dozen COSTCOS in the area and the ratings vary widely. The highest rating for Overall Quality was 93%; lowest was 59%. If there is more than one COSTCO near you, it would behoove you to check them out before deciding

Costco does not carry Oticons. They do carry Bernafons, which are made by the same parent company, but they are not Oticons.

Have to agree with this. My senior pal showed me the Oticon App on his iPhone X. Not very impressive, I was expecting an app which somewhat resembles the equalizer (if that’s what it’s called) on a good stereo system, like this:

The Oticon’s app seemed sadly lacking.

I will double-check with my friend, but fairly certain the app he showed me on his phone was Oticon. I just messaged him, but no reply. Perhaps COSTCO offers different products in different geographic areas?

You are right; I was wrong, His are ReSound HAs. My bad :frowning:

1 Like

What would you do with that?

If that was on your phone and could control left and right independently then that would be awesome. (for all phone sound output activities of course)
It would be even better if HA’s could be controlled similarly.

Really? In addition to the hearing aid programming that compensates for your specific hearing loss, or to replace the hearing aid programming that compensates for your specific hearing loss?

Ah. Indeed. Good to clarify. Always on the ball that pvc.
I (perhaps many people) will go some times without HA’s on. Using headphones from the phone listening to things it would be useful to adjust left and right equalizer to somewhat match ones audiogram.
I do that playing from my computer.

Edit: I re-read my previous post and yes i do mean in the HA’s. To have finer grained adjustment capability beyond just simple “tone” for odd situations. Then let it go back to the programmed settings.

But might it not sometimes be advantageous or useful to be able to tweak the settings for difficult environments? E.g., my bugaboo is restaurants with 100% hard surfaces. I.e., no carpets, no drapes, etc., to absorb sound. Only harshly reflective surfaces, like tile, formica, etc. I don’t have all the answers; just asking.

I’m no expert but I’m not sure equalization would help in that kind of environment.
My KS7’s have a simple tone adjustment that’s basically a gradation from bass to treble.
Do you only have the one restaurant available to you? :slight_smile:

You guys need to quit poking smot and watching purdy lights.

czynsF

mmmmmm…mesmerizing…

Medical marijuana has only recently arrived in MD. Maybe if my glaucoma worsens???

BTW, what does PVC stand for?

PolyVinyl Chloride

Permanent Virtual Circuit

Premature Ventricular Contraction

Pigment Volume Concentration

Passive Volume Control

Postal Verification Card

Pipe Very Crowded

Pressure Velocity Correction

Plasticized Vitreous Compound

Pedal Volume Control

Partial Volume Concentration

Primary Version Control

Porous Vent Coaxative

Partial Value Code

Personalised Ventilation Center

Previous Virtual Cell

Psychedelic Variable Consciousness

Primitives Volumes and Collections

Plastic and Very Cheap

Prime Venezuelan Calf

Pre-Vacuole Compartment

Passion, Vision, and Committment

Positive Verified Connect

Priority Versus Claim

I’m retired with not much to do; this would provide hours of amusement, if nothing else and keep me occupied and out of my wife’s hair.

1 Like