Hissing/white noise when I turn up the volume?

I have had my Phonak Slims for a few weeks now and all is great. I went back for a second fitting and am going back again next week. I am now at 100% and that’s really good. There have been a few times when I’ve experimented with turning up my HA volume, but when I do I get hissing/ white noise in the background even when only turning up 1. I was wondering why this would be?

What do you mean? Are you turning up the volume on ONE aid only? How is that possible, cuz when you turn the volume up or down on EITHER aid, the aids are typically in sync, and BOTH aids would increase or decrease in volume.

As for the hissing, it could be a form of feedback, but that typically sounds like a whistle. That happens when the volume is turned up so high that you no longer have like a perfect seal with the aids.

My Oticon aids can be controlled individually, it all depends on how the audiologist sets the aids. They can be always synced together or they can be set individually for volume.

Sorry, didn’t explain myself well there. The default volume setting is 0 and the volume of both aids can be turned up or down (+5 or -5 being the maximum and minimum) mine hiss even when turned up just one step, but the hiss increases the more they are turned up.

I can adjust the volume separately using the app, but the volume on my aids is set to control both.

The App allows separate volume control.

Yes that is also the way my aids are set up too, by my request.

That is interesting to know, cuz sometimes I feel I need an extra boost in volume for just my RIGHT ear.

OK got it! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hissing seems like something not working with the chip set? I’m just tossing that out cuz years ago, I had a vibrating hum when in the car shifting gears. Very odd, but it turned out that the aids had a faulty diaphragm or something in them. Maybe take them in and have them tested? No way should aids hiss or make any extraneous sound just when the volume is turned up.

Second thought: try to unpair and repair the aids with your phone, and or uninstall and reinstall the phone app. Maybe that’s where the prob is. Keep us posted on your solution,

Thanks for your suggestions, I have just tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, but that didn’t make any difference. I’ll ask my audiologist on Wednesday and see what she says.

It’s quite possible you are hearing “floor noise” as in the circuit, you have good enough low end hearing to hear it.

2 Likes

FIXED. I’ve tried playing around with the equaliser settings in the app, selected speech instead of default and increased the noise reduction. Saved that as a custom setting called hiss reduction and I can turn the volume all the way up to 5 without hiss. I don’t need them turning up that much, but it’s nice to have the option. I will discuss this on Wednesday when I see my aud and see if she can make some changes to the automatic setting.

1 Like

Good on you, yes definitely get your audiologist to make the required adjustments for a more permanent fix.

1 Like

OH WOW! I’d give you 5 thumbs-up right there. That is very clever and fabulous news to share here. :smile:

Thank you 1Bluejay. I don’t like to give up until I have found a solution.

1 Like